Subject: Linux 1.3.71 lmbench on Sparc

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 21:03:48 -0500

Oh baby... we almost have the TCP latencies in our favor against
SunOS, all other categories rip SunOS to shreds on the MicroSparcI.  I
plan on having results on the SS5 against Solaris-2.5 (adrian, I can
release 2.5 benchmarks as long as it isn't 2.5.1beta right?) soon.

                    L M B E N C H  1 . 0   S U M M A R Y
                    ------------------------------------

            Processor, Processes - times in microseconds
            --------------------------------------------
Host                 OS  Mhz    Null    Null  Simple /bin/sh Mmap 2-proc 8-proc
                             Syscall Process Process Process  lat  ctxsw  ctxsw
--------- ------------- ---- ------- ------- ------- ------- ---- ------ ------
trombetas  Linux 1.3.71   49      13   16.2K   49.6K     78K  324     86     97
negro.rut SunOS 4.1.3_U   49     124   18.3K   63.9K    110K  470    152    262

            *Local* Communication latencies in microseconds
            -----------------------------------------------
Host                 OS  Pipe       UDP    RPC/     TCP    RPC/
                                            UDP             TCP
--------- ------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
trombetas  Linux 1.3.71     300    1034    1780    1576    2834
negro.rut SunOS 4.1.3_U     890    1375    2287    1573    2804

            *Local* Communication bandwidths in megabytes/second
            ----------------------------------------------------
Host                 OS Pipe  TCP  File   Mmap  Bcopy  Bcopy  Mem   Mem
                                  reread reread (libc) (hand) read write
--------- ------------- ---- ---- ------ ------ ------ ------ ---- -----
trombetas  Linux 1.3.71    8  3.2   23.5   20.0     18     25   41    36
negro.rut SunOS 4.1.3_U    4  2.0   19.5    8.2     18     24   41    36

	    Memory latencies in nanoseconds
            (WARNING - may not be correct, check graphs)
            --------------------------------------------
Host                 OS   Mhz  L1 $   L2 $    Main mem    TLB    Guesses
--------- -------------   ---  ----   ----    --------    ---    -------
trombetas  Linux 1.3.71    49    20    170         180    659    No L2 cache?
negro.rut SunOS 4.1.3_U    49    20    175         183     -1    No L2 cache?