Subject: Re: MIPS port kickoff meeting

From: [email-masked] (Larry McVoy)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:22:54 -0700

Greg said:
: There are US Gov't customers for Linux on SGI boxes who require
: 64-bit OS.  So, let's support tho 32-bit ARCS boxes without compromising
: opportunities to sell new boxes (with 64-bit Linux).

We definitely want to do this.  And I don't want to do anything to derail
this because I want this badly.  And what I'm about to say does not imply 
that we don't do 64bit - I want both.  And it should be easy to do both.

One reason for thinking small, however, is that we could finesse the whole
Linux vs IRIX issue by raising awareness that Linux on MIPs could be a
really nice solution for the embedded market.  I personally would love
to see a full page in IEEE times in which MIPS announces the availablity
of embedded Linux for MIPs chips.  This may be the quickest path to getting
Linux embraced internally.  I'm pretty sure that Cygnus would be interested
in signing up for support for such a platform - that is a big part of their
business.  And I think that R3K is still the volume chip in the embedded
market, so we want that to work.

Thoughts?

---

From: [email-masked] (Larry McVoy)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:25:26 -0700

Arrg, ignore my message and read Jim's - he said it better.  I gotta learn
to read all my mail before firing off replies.