Subject: scope of this mailing list

From: [email-masked] (Larry McVoy)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 16:27:54 -0700

Hi SGIers,
	There are people from the outside that are interested in the
progress of the Linux/MIPs effort.  So I'm adding them to the list if
they look like reasonable sorts.  For example, a guy from Red Hat, the
company that produces a distribution for DEC Alphas and for Intel,
is now on the list.  I suspect that we might be able to work with them
to get a Linux/MIPs distribution.  Furthermore, givem that Linux/MIPs
will run IRIX elf binaries, we might be able to merge the Freeware and
Linux/MIPs efforts - they have a lot of overlap.  Something to think 
about.

--lm
---
Larry McVoy     [email-masked]     http://reality.sgi.com/lm     (415) 933-1804
Copyright 1996, all rights reserved.   Microsoft Network is prohibited from
redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part without license.
License to distribute this work is available to Microsoft at $500.
Transmission without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

---

From: Erik Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:06:49 -0400 (EDT)

> Linux/MIPs efforts - they have a lot of overlap.  Something to think 

This raises a good question - what is the relationship between the SGI port,
a port to Digital MIPS/TurboChannel machines, and the MIPS/PC port (that
works on MIPS machines with PCI/EISA buses)? Will they all be the same
endian? Should binarises be comaptible? What about sources such as libc
and the kernel syscall interface?

Erik

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
         us when we die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar
|   Erik Troan   =   http://sunsite.unc.edu/ewt/   =   [email-masked]    |