Subject: Good news

From: [email-masked] (Larry McVoy)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:52:28 -0700

Hi-
	as some of you know, we've been negociating to get David Miller,
the Sparc/Linux guy, to come out and work on a MIPS/Linux port.  He has
accepted, he starts on May 25th, and will be here until August 25th.
We had to do a lot of work with the laywers, but we have agreement that
all of the work that he does here will be

	a) owned by SGI (we paid for it), and b) distributed under the
	terms of the GPL.

No exceptions.  SGI owns the code so we can choose to use anything that 
turns out to be interesting inside IRIX without the constraints of the
GPL (you may or may not be aware that the owner of the code can choose
to distribute the code under multiple copyrights - so we can use stuff
in IRIX without "polluting" the IRIX kernel with the GPL).

I'd like to thank everyone that has been pulling for this, and especially
Greg Chesson who did the hard work of getting the contract hammered out
to the satisfaction of SGI & David.

We are currently in the process of figuring out what code we can use to
help with the port; there may be parts of the setup OS that are both
appropriate and useful.

Ariel and others are working to get a development machine set up in
the engr domain.  It will be linux.engr.sgi.com, and should be up and 
running on Monday or Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted on new news as it happens.

--lm
---
Larry McVoy     [email-masked]     http://reality.sgi.com/lm     (415) 933-1804
Copyright 1996, all rights reserved.   Microsoft Network is prohibited from
redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part without license.
License to distribute this work is available to Microsoft at $500.
Transmission without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.