Subject: more progress

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:02:54 -0700

I have my ARCS firmware library code in the kernel to the point where
it can do console I/O.  Right now the kernel loads from sash and
prints the SGI ARCS library version and revision numbers then spins in
an endless loop so that it cannot cause any more trouble. ;-)

I plan on continuing the ARCS library support code, specifically the
code to probe for the physical memory layout of the machine which the
rest of the kernel startup code needs anyway, then the device tree
manipulation and probing mechanisms as well.

Next I will look into getting the kgdb code functioning.  And after
that I will most likely try to get the generic kernel init'ing such
that all the generic data structures and non-device code are setup and
the kernel attempts to mount root (which it will not be able to). ;)

In parallel I will begin to write the HPC? support, specifically the
dma interface code.  I will as well be looking into the drivers for
scsi, ethernet and graphics console at the same time, coding what I
can.

Later,
David S. Miller
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (William J. Earl)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:51:52 -0700

David S. Miller writes:
...
 > the kernel attempts to mount root (which it will not be able to). ;)
...

    Please check with Mani Varadarajan ([email-masked]) about kgdb.
He has used it with the DMS Moosehead system simulator, although in
that case the simulator acts as the target system monitor, instead of
having a program resident in memory with the kernel.  I don't know if
he had to fix anything for the MIPS architecture; if he did, that
might save you some startup time.