Subject: Linux/MIPS: short update

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

a short update,

As some of you know. David is going back to school (Aug 25).
We wish the summer vacation was a little longer so he
could really complete and stabilize the port but a lot
of time was invested in major aggressive operations like
replacing the Linux libc with the GNU libc and keep up
with the latest GNU development tools. This should be seen
as a good investment in a better Linux foundation for the
future that will benefit all ports, not just the MIPS one.

We are going to try and loan the two Indys to David so
he could complete the port while at Rutgers. (The assets
called stacey and tanya except for one monitor which was mine
belong to John Loveall who generously loaned them to us for
the summer.)

David plans to:

	1) Merge his work with Ralf (Germany MIPS port)
	   so there will be only one Linux/MIPS port.

	2) Clean rough edges, Stabilize the port, on both
	   hardware families.

	3) Try to roll the work into Linux before Linus
	   releases 2.1 so that everything will be a part
	   of 2.1 and available on the net.

If this can happen we've achieved our first major goal: get
Linux to run on SGI hardware and be widely available.
I hope David can pull it off.

Lastly, I'd like to thank David for an impressive well
done job and strongly hope to see him at SGI next summer too.
and to all of you who helped this happen (you know who you are),
thanks as well.

-- 
Peace, Ariel