Subject: Re: Linux: the next step

From: Steve Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:20:39 -0700

lm@gate1-neteng (Larry McVoy) writes:
>You'll have to borrow my copy, Usenix rejected it.  Fuckheads.

No doubt to make room for some paper on TCL scripts or something.  Feh.
Yeah, if you can make me a copy or convince the authors to send me one I'd
appreciate it.

>A more concrete example: IRIX syscall entry is something like 15-30 usecs,
>if I remember correctly.  On Linux, it's about .5 - 5 usecs.  In the
>Linux world, optimizations that made a 100% difference would be lost in
>the bloat in IRIX.  Does that mean that those optimizations are pointless?

To some degree, yes.  This is why application developers often have a lot of
platform-specific code; optimizations that work on one system won't necessarily
work on all systems.  I'm not saying this is good, mind you.

-- Steve

---

From: "Sandeep Cariapa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:35:34 -0700

On Aug 12,  2:20pm, Steve Alexander wrote:
> Subject: Re: Linux: the next step

No, tell us what you really feel Larry; don't hold back :-)

> Yeah, if you can make me a copy or convince the authors to send me one I'd

Larry, you might want to make this available to the entire Linux mailing
list; I suspect a lot more people would be interested in it. (I am too)
Regards,
Sandeep

>-- End of excerpt from Steve Alexander

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Schimmel)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:39:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Yeah, if you can make me a copy or convince the authors to send me one I'd

Now wait a minute here.  Read the paper before commenting.
They create a "real-time" thread under Linux.  That does not
mean that it does anything, that the OS has real time support,
etc.  There was nothing particularly new about what it did.
There is now a Linux conference which should showcase this
sort of thing.  Usenix is for new and interesting work that
would be of interest to a large audience.

> -- Steve

------------------------------------------------------------
John E. Schimmel                        [email-masked]         
Silicon Graphics Inc.                   Voice: (415)933-4116
http://reality.sgi.com/employees/jes    Fax:   (415)967-8496
------------------------------------------------------------