Subject: Linus move to the U.S.

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:03:37 -0800 (PST)

My reference.com news filter just caught this.

While some of you may have known about this for quite a while
here's a confirmation from the horse's mouth.

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Hit-Number: 1
Article-ID: 11_1996&992840
Score: 98
Subject: Re: Linux and Transmeta
From: [email-masked] (Linus Torvalds)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 05:32:50 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

In article <[email-masked]>,
Bob Nelson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Comments from anyone about Linus' move to the United States and his
>employment by Transmeta (to start in 1Q 1997)? [Refer to SSC's web
>site for a brief story on this]. What implications do you think it
>may have for the OS?

I'll comment on this myself, I think.

Right now it looks like we'll be moving some time in February next year. 
That will probably involve me being partially off the net for a few
weeks, which in itself isn't really anything unheard of (that tends to
happen a few times a year just when I'm taking a vacation or just going
abroad for a longer conference).  That will be one of the things people
will notice immediately.  And even after I get connected there will
probably be a delay until I get "up to speed" again. 

The other thing that I'll probably do at the same time is just to start
filtering my email: I've been thinking of that for a long time
(independently of any move), and the fact that my email setup changes
anyway just gives me a possibility of changing it all at one time. 

But aside from those kinds of details, there probably won't be all that
large changes in how the OS is developed: there will be a new site for
new kernel images (but the old ones here in Finland will probably also
continue to work). 

In short, I'll be able to continue doing Linux even at Transmeta.

		Linus

----- End of forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

-- 
Peace, Ariel