Subject: all in the family

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:11:01 -0400 (EDT)

Looks like I may be getting a machine here to see if we can migrate
some of our non-Oracle machines to Linux/SPARC.

Anyone know if the emulation is up to hosting the Linux/Indy
cross-compiler?

In related news, we'll then have Linux running on 5 architectures in
the same room (Intel, Alpha, SPARC, ELKS, Indy).  Maybe I'll steal the
PowerMac too... =)

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked])      Information Warfare Division  
#> Chief Tactical and Strategic Officer         "Saepe fidelis"        
#>                                                                     
#> "I like your game, but we have to change the rules." -- Anon        
#>

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:26:18 -0400

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
   Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:11:01 -0400 (EDT)

It should be straight forward, 32-bit to 32-bit crosses under gcc work
flawlessly right out of the box for everything I've ever tried.  It's
when you cross from 32-bit to 64-bit that you may hit a bug or two.

   In related news, we'll then have Linux running on 5 architectures
   in the same room (Intel, Alpha, SPARC, ELKS, Indy).  Maybe I'll
   steal the PowerMac too... =)

ELKS, that is cheating ;-)

---------------------------------------------////
Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////
-----------------------------------------////__________  o
David S. Miller, [email-masked] /_____________/ / // /_/ ><

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:01:33 +0200 (MET DST)

> when you cross from 32-bit to 64-bit that you may hit a bug or two.

I've got the necessary patches to make the binutils and GCC work as
Linux/Alpha -> Linux/MIPS crosscompiler.  Mike, if you need them remind
me to send them if you need them.

> ELKS, that is cheating ;-)

:-)

  Ralf

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 02:18:59 -0500

> Anyone know if the emulation is up to hosting the Linux/Indy

Why do you need the emulation for on Linux/SPARC?   You just need to
run configure on Linux/SPARC with the proper --target option and you
will get your native cross-compiler in a second.

You need to configure both binutils and gcc like this.

:-)

Miguel.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:22:14 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> Thus spake Miguel de Icaza:
> I was under the impression that building GCC for the Linux/SGI target
> was non-trivial.  Ralf made mention of some patches, and since there
> are binaries available for Solaris...
> 
> If GCC can support it with a --target choice, that'll be great.

(I think you're confusing host and target.  If you want IRIX to generate
code for Linux the IRIX is the host and Linux the target os).

GCC does that as well as the binutils.  Truely pervert people can even
build GCC / binutils on a host of type a to run on type b and generate
code for type c.  I did that once or twice to build the first native
compiler for Linux/MIPS.

Try something like:

  ./configure --prefix=/usr --target=mips-linux

to configure binutils and GCC.

  Ralf

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:53:19 -0400 (EDT)

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>              Commando Developer - Whatever It Takes
#>                                                                     
#> "See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like
#>    Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." - Linus Torvalds

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:09:25 -0400 (EDT)

> ELKS, that is cheating ;-)

Yeah, but Alan insists on working on it. =)

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>      Chief System Architect -- will tame sendmail(8) for food       
#>                                                                     
#> "You are a very perverse individual, and I think I'd like to get to 
#>  know you better." --- [email-masked]

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:30:21 -0400 (EDT)

Thus spake Ralf Baechle:
> (I think you're confusing host and target.

I think you're right...

Mike
(how embarrassing)

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>                 UNIX medicine man -- dark magick, cheap!            
#>                                                                     
#>  When the going gets tough, the tough give cryptic error messages.  
#>          "We believe in rough consensus and running code."