Subject: EFS and XFS file systems support

From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 08:36:11 -0700

I understand that the EFS and XFS file systems are proprietary to
SGI.  I don't really understand why SGI would care if the EFS file
system were divulged but I can understand the XFS file system.

What I wanted to suggest is that SGI provide a library (.a file) that
can be linked with Linux to provide EFS and XFS file support.  If
necessary, we could charge some nominal fee and require some kind of
non-disclosure or promise that the objects won't be reverse engineered
or something.

As a minimum, provide these drivers only to employees.  It would sure
make development easier if we could mount SGI file systems.  My
biggest reason for wanting them supported is to access SGI CD ROMs.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my $.02.

-- 

		Chris Carlson

	+------------------------------------------------------+
	| Also, [email-masked]                                |
	|   Work:       (714) 756-5976     SGI vmail: 678-4530 |
	|   FAX:        (714) 833-9503                         |
	|                                                      |
	| Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
	| human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
	| the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |
	+------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Steve Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 13:23:36 -0700

>non-disclosure or promise that the objects won't be reverse engineered

I thought that there was a program available for Linux that would read EFS
file systems, although I can't for the life of me remember the name.

>My biggest reason for wanting them supported is to access SGI CD ROMs.

I think the better question is when will we start distributing CDs in a
standard format...  Yeah, yeah, backward compatibility, I know ;->

-- Steve

---

From: Steve Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 15:28:40 -0700

lm@neteng (Larry McVoy) writes:
>: I thought that there was a program available for Linux that would read EFS
>: file systems, although I can't for the life of me remember the name.
>
>Nope.

OK, I went and looked...

Subject:   -65- How can I read an IRIX (EFS) CD-ROM on a machine which
                doesn't use EFS?
Date: 18 Jun 1995 00:00:01 EST

  You want 'efslook', at
  ftp://viz.tamu.edu/pub/sgi/software/efslook.tar.gz.

-- Steve

---

From: Steve Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 14:16:50 -0700

"Christopher W. Carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:
>Hey, I'd love to switch to iso9660.  Unfortunately, how do we read all
>the CDs that have already been generated?

Adding 9660 does not require us to remove EFS.

I think the issue may have more to do with PROMs and sash and stuff like that
than the OS proper.

-- Steve