Subject: userland cometh

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 01:48:34 -0400 (EDT)

OK, I think I've got this cross-compiling thing licked.

Modulo some bogus interactions between the mostly-hacked 2.1.36 kernel
headers and the glibc 2.0.1 stuff (which seems to be a bit off itself,
but that's for another day), userland is coming along nicely.

I've been rebuilding with the glibc-2.0.1 stuff and all-dynamic
linking, and I've got:
fileutils-3.16
tar-1.12
sh-utils-1.16
textutils-1.22
ncurses_1.9.9g (just the libncurses.a, ma'am)
net-tools' inetd, arp, ifconfig, rarp, route and telnetd

I can't get ping or bash to work build just yet (ping was _not_ happy with
my headers), but I'll keep at it.

Once I'm done here, I'll be making a new root.tar.gz for anyone who
wants to play around with it.

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>      Chief System Architect -- will tame sendmail(8) for food       
#>                                                                     
#> "You are a very perverse individual, and I think I'd like to get to 
#>  know you better." --- [email-masked]

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:47:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> wants to play around with it.

Take a look at the little endian RPM packages I've published on
kernel.panic.julia.de.  All these packages were build from the vanilla
SRPM packages on the RedHat 4.1 package.

I'd like to keep the number of .tar packages as low as possible; the
root.tar.gz package has proven not to be very updateable.

  Ralf

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 09:46:33 -0400 (EDT)

> SRPM packages on the RedHat 4.1 package.

Yeah, yeah... =)

Once I get a natively-hosted compiler working, I'll be cranking out
RPMs[*].  In the meantime, convincing some of those packages to
cross-compile is pretty interesting.  Lots of post-./configure
Makefile munging with perl and the like.

Actually, I think it'll be my cohort Alex who'll be building most of
them.  He likes RPM in a way that's a little frightening (hi, Alex!). =)

> root.tar.gz package has proven not to be very updateable.

I can imagine.  I'm not looking to be a distribution (yet). =)

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>           Resident Linux bigot and kernel hacker. (OOPS!)           
#> `If you get bitten by a bug, tough luck...the one thing I won't do  
#> is feel sorry for you.  In fact, I might ask you to do it all over  
#> again, just to get more information.  I'm a heartless bastard.'     
#>                       -- Linus Torvalds (on development kernels)

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:38:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> Makefile munging with perl and the like.

Urgs...  Easier solution - in most cases running configure on a Intel
or even better Sparc Linux machine does the right thing.  Or even
better - you can save the generated config.cache files and feed them
into future runs of autoconf generated configure scripts.  I used these
two techniques to get my MIPS stuff crosscompiled.

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 11:02:49 -0400 (EDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> them.  He likes RPM in a way that's a little frightening (hi, Alex!). =)

I am, yes, sitting on the edge of my seat for Mike to get the network
working so I can have access to the machine.  Mike's working on the
network now to stop my endless pestering.

The priority will be getting rpm itself to compile properly, although I
don't anticipate any huge problems.  I just need to tell it that
Linux/mips exists, I suspect.

There's a large lump of joy in knowing that gcc/libc etc work properly.
The rest is easy.

> I can imagine.  I'm not looking to be a distribution (yet). =)

I suspect if we do a good enough job of porting the bulk of the RPMS that
RedHat will take the effort seriously.  There'll be a lot of RPMs to port,
though... 

- - Alex

      Alex deVries           "Microsoft, the source of all evil!"
  System Administrator                  - C. Theriault
   The EngSoc Project

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:13:52 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> Linux/mips exists, I suspect.

This and another one or two minor patches were required to make rpm
build on my machine.

> There's a large lump of joy in knowing that gcc/libc etc work properly.

Trying to build and use a distribution will help us alot to find the bugs.

> RedHat will take the effort seriously.  There'll be a lot of RPMs to port,

Most of the changes we need to do are already covered by some other patch
files in the SRPMs.  For example many packages already contain GNU libc
patches; in some packages the GNU libc patches are disguised as Alpha
patches.  And GNU libc patches are 90% of what we need to patch.

  Ralf