Subject: linux-2.1.36

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 07:21:17 -0400 (EDT)

Looks like sgiserial.c needs to be updated to use the new IRQ stuff,
etc. (can't find keypress_wait, still using queue_task_irq_off).

I'm going to wish I was paying more attention on linux-kernel when
people were going over this stuff, I just know it. =)

Also, wd33c93.c fails to compile.  Probably some simple stuff (I'm
getting parse errors), but I won't be able to do much with it until
the afternoon.

I'll try building without SCSI and serial support, and see how that
works.

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>              Linux: because every cycle counts.
#>
#> "I don't know what you do for a living[...]" -- [email-masked]
#>        "I change the world." -- [email-masked]

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 14:11:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> etc. (can't find keypress_wait, still using queue_task_irq_off).

Mea culpa.  I leave that part to you.

> getting parse errors), but I won't be able to do much with it until

I messed the wd driver stuff up.  I didn't fix the rejects when applying
Linus' patch 2.1.36.  I fixed that in the meantime and will try to find
time to make a pre-patch-2.1.37 before I leave Germany.

David did completly reformat the WD driver to make it readable.  Downside
is that it's difficult to see what he really has changed.  Someone
should probably do that.

David, what are the differences between your version of the WD driver
and the stock WD driver?

  Ralf

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 21:29:07 -0400

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
   Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 14:11:06 +0200 (MET DST)

   David did completly reformat the WD driver to make it readable.
   Downside is that it's difficult to see what he really has changed.
   Someone should probably do that.

   David, what are the differences between your version of the WD
   driver and the stock WD driver?

If you go and diff my modified version and the stock version in that
kernel source tree (probably a 2.0.something, somewhere around there,
you can check the top level Makefile in my original tree ;-) it should
be easy to tell what I've changed and what is just reformatting.

If I recally, I placed new comments in the places where logic/code
changes, and not just reformatting.

---------------------------------------------////
Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////
-----------------------------------------////__________  o
David S. Miller, [email-masked] /_____________/ / // /_/ ><

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 13:49:45 -0400 (EDT)

> be easy to tell what I've changed and what is just reformatting.

I'm going to work from the 2.0.12 stock kernel (that's the version
that's running on bogomips right now, so I know it works).

I haven't heard anything recently about linux.sgi.com, so I'll just
install the CVS tree from private/dm somewhere on neon (my poor box)
and try to extract a diff.  Time to brush up on my CVS skills. =)

My Indy goes away in a week or so, and I want to get the 2.1.36 merge
done before it leaves.  (I have the option, but not the means, to
purchase the Indy in question for $5K CDN. =) )  Hopefully, I'll be
able to work off of linux.sgi.com, when it gets deployed somewhere
visible to me.

Once I get to the point where I can successfully build a kernel and
such, I want to start hacking some of the PROM config-extraction
stuff, mainly so I can boot from the network without typing in 5 lines
of nfs config data. =)

One of my cohorts found a book on MIPS assembly in a local store, so
I'll probably pick that up as well; should cut down on the number of
stupid questions I have to ask.

> changes, and not just reformatting.

Excellent, my liege.

(microupdate: just finished unpacking cvs.tar.gz, and I'm going to
have to shuffle some stuff around so I have space to actually extract
a kernel from the archive... =/ )

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>                   Welcome to the technocracy.
#>                                                                     
#> "you'd be so disappointed
#>              to find out that the magic was not
#>                          really meant for you" - OLP