Subject: small world

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 15:13:56 -0400 (EDT)

Just had a sales guy in here sorting out the details on a project
we're working on, and it looks like we're going to have a nice plump
Origin 200 in here very shortly.  Along with that comes a
development/scratch box, probably an O2 or a Challenge DM, which might
be diverted towards The Cause if I ask nicely enough.

Anyway, I recall Larry mentioning way back when that people were
interested in organizations that saw Linux availability as an
incentive to purchase; It looks like we might be one of those
organizations, if this goes through as expected.  (SGI Canada has been
after us, off and on, for a fair while now, and they're pretty excited
about this project.)  Is there anything I should be doing specifically
to further your internal sales efforts?  Put the account exec in touch
with Ariel/Larry/whomever?

Also, I'm going to be in San Jose the week of the SGI Developers'
Forum, and the SGI Canada guys may be sponsoring my attendance.  Will
any of this list's denizens be around?  I'd love to put faces to the
names...

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>              Commando Developer - Whatever It Takes
#>                                                                     
#> "See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like
#>    Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." - Linus Torvalds

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 05:21:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> with Ariel/Larry/whomever?

During the last days I was talking with with Jon "Maddog" Hall, DEC's
UNIX systems senior engineer.  He also mentioned that Linux helped them
to sell more DEC UNIX systems than before.

> any of this list's denizens be around?  I'd love to put faces to the

Well, I won't  be there unless some bird drops a ticket in front of my
door ...

  Ralf

---

From: Martin Knoblauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:48:01 +0200

> any of this list's denizens be around?  I'd love to put faces to the

 I'll definitely be there. Maybe we can have some kind of Linux
meeting around the event.

Martin 
-- 
Check out the DevForum 97  !!!! (http://www.sgi.com/Forum97/)
  If you miss it, you'll never forgive yourself :-)
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|---------------------------------| Phone: (+int) 89 46108-179 or -0  |
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|e-mail: <[email-masked]>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 20:01:27 -0700

On May 25,  5:21am, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Subject: Re: small world
>-- End of excerpt from Ralf Baechle

Well, I'll be there.  I'll be the room meister for the main hall.  Also,
I'm pretty sure Martin Knoblauch will be there from Germany.

-- 

		Chris Carlson

	+------------------------------------------------------+
	| Also, [email-masked]                                |
	|   Work:       (714) 756-5976     SGI vmail: 678-4530 |
	|   FAX:        (714) 833-9503                         |
	|                                                      |
	| Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
	| human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
	| the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |
	+------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 15:19:29 -0400 (EDT)

OK, I'll bite.
What's the strace/truss equivalent under IRIX?

I'm trying to figure out why my "dynamically-linked" hello world
binaries are 115K, and I can't tell where the heck the linker is
finding the static libs.

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>              Linux: because every cycle counts.
#>
#> "I don't know what you do for a living[...]" -- [email-masked]
#>        "I change the world." -- [email-masked]

---

From: Luc Chouinard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 14:37:07 -0500

par -ilsSSN open <command>

-- 
Luc

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Schimmel)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 12:42:30 -0700 (PDT)

> binaries are 115K, and I can't tell where the heck the linker is

The equivelant is par.  You may also want to take a look at
elfdump which will tell you what libraries you are linked with, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------
John E. Schimmel                       Email:    [email-masked]         
KD6MNW				       Voice:    (415)933-4116
Silicon Graphics Inc.                  Fax:      (415)933-0513
http://reality.sgi.com/jes             Cellular: (209)988-1549
--------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 12:45:52 -0700

On May 27,  3:19pm, Mike Shaver wrote:
> Subject: strace/truss equiv?
> OK, I'll bite.
>-- End of excerpt from Mike Shaver

You can also do some interesting things with rld (see the man page)
which will cause it to print out the libraries it is loading as a
program is started.

-- 

		Chris Carlson

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 12:48:37 -0700 (PDT)

:
:OK, I'll bite.
:What's the strace/truss equivalent under IRIX?
:
:I'm trying to figure out why my "dynamically-linked" hello world
:binaries are 115K, and I can't tell where the heck the linker is
:finding the static libs.
:
:Mike
:
As Luc mentioned, you may use 'par' the advantages are that it
has many more features and almost no overhead. One notable
disadvantage however (especially for userland debugging) is that
it uses some special kernel services for async event notifications
so its trace output is asynchronous to the traced process.

I guess you would prefer 'strace' to 'par' (like I do) you may get
a precompiled binary for IRIX at:

	http://reality.sgi.com/ariel/freeware/

Note that this version doesn't support tracing 64-bit binaries.

Thank David Miller for making strace work under 6.x.
-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:01:19 -0400 (EDT)

> elfdump which will tell you what libraries you are linked with, etc.

par was what I was looking for.

elfdump doesn't seem to tell me anything about the -b mips-linux
stuff.  Oversight on SGI's part, no doubt. =)

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>           Resident Linux bigot and kernel hacker. (OOPS!)           
#> `If you get bitten by a bug, tough luck...the one thing I won't do  
#> is feel sorry for you.  In fact, I might ask you to do it all over  
#> again, just to get more information.  I'm a heartless bastard.'     
#>                       -- Linus Torvalds (on development kernels)

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:37:11 +0200 (MET DST)

> binaries are 115K, and I can't tell where the heck the linker is

The GNU linker has a verbose option which will make it print all the
files as it tries to open them.  Check the docs.  You should have

<prefix>/mips-linux/lib/libc.so             (A linker script)
<prefix>/mips-linux/lib/libc.so.6           (A symlink to the acutal shlib)
<prefix>/mips-linux/lib/libc-<version>.so   (The actual shared library image)
<prefix>/mips-linux/lib/libc.a              (The static libc)

Note that libc.so is an ASCII file containing a short linker script
unlike Linux libc.

Does that help?

  Ralf

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:50:38 -0400 (EDT)

> <prefix>/mips-linux/lib/libc.so             (A linker script)

This was missing, due to some oh-so-clever things I'd done while
transferring the libs onto the Indy.

All is better now, and I've built apache. =)
Once I find a pristine source archive of the net-tools (proving
surprisingly difficult, since I have a memory like a sieve), I'll try
and get it serving pages.

Does anyone have a penguin-plus-SGI-cube logo yet, or should I get
someone here to whip it up? =)

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>                   Welcome to the technocracy.
#>                                                                     
#> "you'd be so disappointed
#>              to find out that the magic was not
#>                          really meant for you" - OLP

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 22:58:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> someone here to whip it up? =)

Would be great to have one.  Any talented artists on this list?

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Seth Morabito)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 14:07:29 -0700

On May 27, 10:58pm, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Subject: Re: strace/truss equiv?
> Hi,
>

Oooh, cool...

  If noone objects, I'd like to take a stab at it.  Consider it my
small, pitiful, insignificant contribution to the SGI-Linux project.

-Seth "Not so bad with Photoshop, if I do say so myself" Morabito

-- 
--
Seth Morabito | Silicon Graphics | [email-masked] | (415) 933-7044

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Lisp has all the visual
appeal of oatmeal with fingernail clippings mixed in. (Other than that,
it's quite a nice language.)"  --  Larry Wall

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 14:37:00 -0400 (EDT)

Yesssssss......!

Ralf's new glibc-2.0.1 builds without complaint, and I've now got
(trivial) dynamic binaries working on my Indy.

We shall now see if the net-tools stuff works as nicely...

Mike
(much better...)

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#> Paranoid for money.                            Sarcastic for kicks. 
#>                                                                     
#> "They already *KNOW* I am a whacko, Karen.                          
#>                  That doesn't mean I am *WRONG*." -- [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Seth Morabito)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:56:47 -0700

On May 28,  2:37pm, Mike Shaver wrote:
> Subject: Dynapenguin!

... As in, "Electra Woman and DynaPenguin"?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, scary Sid and Marty Krofft memories! Yikes!

>-- End of excerpt from Mike Shaver

Congrats, Mike!!

(Tom Servo voice -->) "We're on our waaaayyy!"

-Seth

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 15:10:19 -0400 (EDT)

> ... As in, "Electra Woman and DynaPenguin"?

Nope.
(Before my time... =) ))

> Congrats, Mike!!

No, "congrats, Ralf!!", for getting it all patched up and putting up
with my incessant pestering.

> (Tom Servo voice -->) "We're on our waaaayyy!"

Indeed.

Mike
(Indy sign!)