Subject: Almost there...

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 20:19:58 -0400 (EDT)

(kinda)

Everything compiles now (had to comment out another PRINT() in
arch/mips/lib/watch.S), and I just have to chase down the undefined
refs that the linker is barfing on.  So picky, these binutils are. =)

In case anyone else is working on this (Miguel?  You get your box
yet?), these are the ones that it's complaining about:

__mips_bh_counter (arch/mips/kernel/softirq.c:do_bottom_half, among
about 8 other places)
copy_sigbits32 (kernel/irixelf.c:irix_core_dump)
initialize_kbd (sgi/prom/misc.c:prom_*)
kh (drivers/char/psaux.c:write_aux_{dev,cmd})
local_irq_count (bunch of places)
rs_init (drivers/char/ttyio.c:tty_init)
serial_console (sgi/kernel/setup.c:sgi_setup)

Mail me if you want patches to my current working set...

I'll probably get back on this tomorrow at some point...I have "real
work" to do tonight. =(

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked])      Information Warfare Division  
#> Chief Tactical and Strategic Officer         "Saepe fidelis"        
#>                                                                     
#> "I like your game, but we have to change the rules." -- Anon        
#>

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 20:23:21 -0400

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 20:19:58 -0400 (EDT)

   (Miguel?  You get your box yet?)

Nope he didn't, import laws in Mexico got the machine before he did...

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 20:46:07 -0400

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 20:56:15 -0400 (EDT)

   > Nope he didn't, import laws in Mexico got the machine before he did...

   Is that a permanent failure, or just Yet Another Bureaucratic
   Delay(tm)?

Permanent.

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 20:56:15 -0400 (EDT)

Mike
(and I thought our gov't was bad...)

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#> Paranoid for money.                            Sarcastic for kicks. 
#>                                                                     
#> "They already *KNOW* I am a whacko, Karen.                          
#>                  That doesn't mean I am *WRONG*." -- [email-masked]

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:23:38 -0500

> yet?), these are the ones that it's complaining about:

the machine is now back on Mountain View, and should have been shipped
to the american embassy office in the US on friday.

Miguel.

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:25:05 -0500

> Is that a permanent failure, or just Yet Another Bureaucratic

the machine went back to the US after the customs episode.  Now we are
now going to bring the machine trough the embassy (no way the customs
will ever have a chance to touch it), should be here real soon now
:-).

Miguel.

---

From: [email-masked] (richard offer)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 09:35:50 -0700

* $ from [email-masked] at "12-May:11:25am" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
*
*
*
* > > Nope he didn't, import laws in Mexico got the machine before he did...
* >
* > Is that a permanent failure, or just Yet Another Bureaucratic
* > Delay(tm)?
*
* the machine went back to the US after the customs episode.  Now we are
* now going to bring the machine trough the embassy (no way the customs
* will ever have a chance to touch it), should be here real soon now
* :-).

I see a whole new story, "SGI smuggles low-end machines to Mexico...."

*
* Miguel.
*

richard.

______________________________________________________________________
    Life isn't fair, it just happens to be fairer than death.
                                William Goldman: "The Princess Bride".

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 00:48:30 -0500

I was impressed by the extensive XFS feature list (from some comments
I read from this mailing list archives, and later from the Usenix
paper), so during the past days I coded a little extension to ext2fs
that allows a file system to be extended at runtime.

Say, you are running out of space in /home, you type:

	e2extend /home /dev/sdb1

(where /dev/sdb1 is a fresh disk ready to be used as an extension to
/home).  And poof!  instant extra space in /home.

This is from my limited understanding of the IRIX man pages describind
xlv and xfs.

Tonight this code just passed a lot of testing, I will clean it up and
post to linux-kernel soonish.

Cheers,
Miguel.

---

From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:29:18 -0700

On May 29, 12:48am, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Subject: Linux ext2fs goes multi-device :-)
>
>-- End of excerpt from Miguel de Icaza

That sounds super cool!  Good work!

-- 

		Chris Carlson

	+------------------------------------------------------+
	| Also, [email-masked]                                |
	|   Work:       (714) 756-5976     SGI vmail: 678-4530 |
	|   FAX:        (714) 833-9503                         |
	|                                                      |
	| Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
	| human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
	| the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |
	+------------------------------------------------------+