Subject: network troubles

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 02:44:23 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to get some sort of non-ping, non-NFS traffic working on
the Indy, and I'm having a lot of trouble doing it.

The interface is properly configured (root is NFS mounted, right?),
and I can ping the machine just fine.

When I start up inetd, though, netstat -an shows the telnet and
echo/tcp services as being _UDP_.  Telnetting to either port results
in a refused connection.

My protocols file looks like:

#
# protocols	This file describes the various protocols that are
#		available from the TCP/IP subsystem.  It should be
#		consulted instead of using the numbers in the ARPA
#		include files, or, worse, just guessing them.
#
# Version:	@(#)/etc/protocols	2.00	04/30/93
#
# Author:	Fred N. van Kempen, <[email-masked]>
#

ip	0	IP	# internet protocol, pseudo protocol number
icmp	1	ICMP	# internet control message protocol
igmp	2	IGMP	# internet group multicast protocol
ggp	3	GGP	# gateway-gateway protocol
tcp	6	TCP	# transmission control protocol
pup	12	PUP	# PARC universal packet protocol
udp	17	UDP	# user datagram protocol
idp	22	IDP	# WhatsThis?
raw	255	RAW	# RAW IP interface

# End of protocols.

inetd.conf is:
telnet	stream  tcp 	nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.telnetd telnetd
echo	stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal
echo	stream	udp	nowait	root	internal

and the netstat output is:
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address     State      
udp        0      0 bogomips:600            neon:nfs            ESTABLISHED 
udp        0      0 *:23                    *:*                 UNKNOWN     
udp        0      0 *:echo                  *:*                 UNKNOWN     
raw        0      0 *:1                     *:*                             
Active UNIX domain sockets (including servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path

When I try to tftp out to neon (which is how I get my kernel, so in
theory...), I get:
tftp: sendto: Reserved error 136

Any ideas?  I'm using davem's 2.0.12 kernel, but I can't imagine why
the TCP stuff in the kernel wouldn't work, if the NFS-Root stuff
does...

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked])      Information Warfare Division  
#> Chief Tactical and Strategic Officer         "Saepe fidelis"        
#>                                                                     
#> "I like your game, but we have to change the rules." -- Anon        
#>