Subject: Re: Name the external domain

From: [email-masked] (Larry McVoy)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 15:44:59 -0700

OK, I got a better idea.  Make the top level domain linux.sgi.com and
the machine[s] stuff like

	linus.linux.sgi.com	# because we like him (alias)
	ftp.linux.sgi.com	# because people will remember it (alias)
	www.linux.sgi.com	# alias
	linux.linux.sgi.com	# real machine

Watcha all think?

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:12:29 -0700 (PDT)

:
:OK, I got a better idea.  Make the top level domain linux.sgi.com and
:the machine[s] stuff like
:
:	linus.linux.sgi.com	# because we like him (alias)

linus.youre-hired.sgi.com (well, we tried :-)  (*)

:	ftp.linux.sgi.com	# because people will remember it (alias)
:	www.linux.sgi.com	# alias
:	linux.linux.sgi.com	# real machine
:
:Watcha all think?
:

Except for the fact that this is not scalable beyond linux stuff
I like it.  It is certainly the easiest to remember and we can always
add entertaining names/aliases at the hostname level.  'friends' was my
next favorite.

If everyone agrees (and vernon doesn't object) I think we should go
with Larry's scheme.

(*) and we haven't gave up yet.
-- 
Peace, Ariel