Subject: Good news: no more begging for HW

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:25:00 -0700 (PDT)

[Some good news I wanted to share with all]

Bill Fisher and I are just returning from a meeting w/
Todd Johnson.  Bottom line is that he agreed to commit
for 5 machines/year (or "even 10 if you need it") for
free-software initiatives including Linux.  It is up to
us (mainly this mailing list subscribers) to find the right
people who are willing to work on SGI ports and projects and
Todd will fund the hardware we need.  Of course every system
will need to be justified based on the developer's reputation
and ability and the suggested project at hand.

So, if you know of good people who can sign-up for
real useful projects in return for hardware donations
please share it with me.  The three machines we have out
are just a start.

Looks like I won't have to spend so much time begging
for donations in the coming months.

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:59:05 -0700

On Jun 16,  4:25pm, Ariel Faigon wrote:
> Subject: Good news: no more begging for HW
>-- End of excerpt from Ariel Faigon

One group that I always think could use an SGI machine is the Free
Software Foundation.  They would make sure things worked on SGI before
releasing it.  That way, all of GNU would be tested on SGI by them.

-- 

		Chris Carlson

	+------------------------------------------------------+
	| Also, [email-masked]                                |
	|   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
	|   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
	|                                                      |
	| Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
	| human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
	| the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |
	+------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Martin Knoblauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:15:29 +0200

Ok,

 so let me chime in. There are the people with the KDE desktop
(http://www.kde.org/) environment. They gave a presentation at
the Linux Konference in Wuerzburg. If we want to do some non-kernel
stuff, they might be a good choice. Maybe even for IRIX :-)
I will have to contact them to find out whether they are interested.

Martin
-- 
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|---------------------------------| Phone: (+int) 89 46108-179 or -0  |
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|e-mail: <[email-masked]>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:18:07 -0500

> stuff, they might be a good choice. Maybe even for IRIX :-)

GNUstep:

There are a couple of extra free software projects that may benefit.
One of them is the GNUstep project (do not pay attention to the web
pages for the project the maintainer updates them once every six
months).  

They have similar goals to the KDE project, but they are going for an
OpenStep compliant API.  

[email-masked] is the person who is doing the GUI code for
Unix. 

The GIMP:

There are a couple of students at UC Berkeley that wrote the GIMP (the
GNU Image Manipulation Program), which is a PhotoShop on steroids.

They cloned most of the functionality of Photoshop: plugins, ability
to handle large images, layers, channels.  And on top of that they
embedded a scheme interpreter, so you can create complex graphic art
by just fillling a form.  The Scheme scripts take care of the rest.

You can check their web page at: http://scam.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp

Miguel.