Subject: Re: Name the external domain

From: Martin Knoblauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 08:44:00 +0200

Larry McVoy wrote:
> 
> OK, I got a better idea.  Make the top level domain linux.sgi.com and
> the machine[s] stuff like
> 
>         linus.linux.sgi.com     # because we like him (alias)
>         ftp.linux.sgi.com       # because people will remember it (alias)
>         www.linux.sgi.com       # alias
>         linux.linux.sgi.com     # real machine
> 
> Watcha all think?

 excellent.

Martin
-- 
Check out the DevForum 97  !!!! (http://www.sgi.com/Forum97/)
  If you miss it, you'll never forgive yourself. Neither will I :-)
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|---------------------------------| Phone: (+int) 89 46108-179 or -0  |
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|e-mail: <[email-masked]>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:58:10 -0700

On May 30,  4:04pm, Bob Mende Pie wrote:
> Subject: Re: Name the external domain
>
> Given that what Vernon is looking for is a domain for those hosts that are
> 	outside of the firewall
> 		(yet inside of the packet filter)
> 	that dont provide well known service names
> 		(www.sgi.com, ftp.sgi.com)
>
> I was thought of the strip of land around a castle that is between the
> outer wall and the moat.   According to the "Castles on the web glossary"
> http://fox.nstn.ca/~tmonk/castle/glossary.html this strip of land is called
> the berm.
>
>                               /Bob...                    mailto:[email-masked]
>                         http://reality.sgi.com/mende/          KF6EID
>-- End of excerpt from Bob Mende Pie

This is my favorite!

-- 

		Chris Carlson

	+------------------------------------------------------+
	| Also, [email-masked]                                |
	|   Work:       (714) 756-5976     SGI vmail: 678-4530 |
	|   FAX:        (714) 833-9503                         |
	|                                                      |
	| Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
	| human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
	| the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |
	+------------------------------------------------------+