Subject: Re: Good news: no more begging for HW

From: [email-masked] (Larry McVoy)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:22:58 -0700

: One group that I always think could use an SGI machine is the Free
: Software Foundation.  They would make sure things worked on SGI before
: releasing it.  That way, all of GNU would be tested on SGI by them.

This is a good idea.  Do we know if they don't have one?

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:46:05 +0200 (MET DST)

> This is a good idea.  Do we know if they don't have one?

Somewhen RMS mentioned that they don't have MIPS machines.  Aside of PCs
their equipment seems to consinst of ancient 68k Sony NeWS machines,
an Amiga, old HP machines and other exotic equipment.  I think they also
have an Alpha.

But all in all they are for shure among the people that will make best
possible use of the hardware.

  Ralf

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:08:54 -0500

> This is a good idea.  Do we know if they don't have one?

An Indy machine may become the most powerfull machine at the FSF
nowadays.  I think their high end computers nowadays are the 486 PCs
running Linux.

I am not sure if the people at the FSF in Boston are actually doing
any developement besides Hurd and Emacs.

Miguel.