Subject: Re: FYI - free Windows API

From: [email-masked] (Larry McVoy)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 19:42:18 -0700

: Even a company the size of DEC couldn't persuade more than a handful of
: companies to port their code to Alpha/NT, and this one-man-and-his-band will
: succeed ?

A couple of counters to that:

	a) he's giving it away under the GPL.  Linux used that approach
	   and has at least 3 million, some say 6 million, seats.  Linus 
	   didn't get all those seats - he was helped.   This guy is 
	   asking for help.  Maybe we, SGI, and the other Unix vendors
	   should contribute a few percent of our engineering staff to
	   all working on this to catch up with u$oft.  Together we stand,
	   divided we fall - cliche but uite apropos at the moment.

	b) did you miss the part about the 8086 interpreter so that you
	   can just run binaries unmodified?  I haven't tried it but I
	   imagine it works.

As a friend at DEC said - "we need to grow the pie, not shrink it.  Linux
grows it.  We all benefit".  I agree.

---

From: Martin Knoblauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 17:43:45 +0200

Larry McVoy wrote:
> 
> 
> As a friend at DEC said - "we need to grow the pie, not
> shrink it.  Linux grows it.  We all benefit".  I agree.

 Didn't he say - "We need to grow the pie [against NT],
not fight over it. Once it is big enough, we can worry
about cutting it into pieces."?

Martin
-- 
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|---------------------------------| Phone: (+int) 89 46108-179 or -0  |
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|e-mail: <[email-masked]>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+