Subject: MIPS Distribution status (Was: Status ...)

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 18:10:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi all,

Just to a status report about the packages Miguel mentioned.  This is
from memory, so neither complete nor 100% accurate.  I've tried more
than just these ...

 - Programs work, not even tried to packaged into RPMs yet:
    binutils gcc glibc util-linux procps sh-utils MAKEDEV bash

 - Packaging failed but otherwise working:
    apache, ncurses, dev

 - Works as far as tested:
    bison byacc flex make patch texinfo NetKit-A cpio crontabs
    diffutils dialog etcskel file findutils grep gzip ncrompress
    perl rpm textutils less sed initscripts mtools tar adduser
    textutils time fileutils rootfiles

    (Since Perl now builds shrink wrapped and passes almost the entire
    test suite someone could try starting with Debian as well)

 - Didn't try to build RPM package yet:
    NetKit-B tcp_wrapper termcap vim psmisc npasswd sysklogd
    net-tools setup

 - RPM package available but buggy:
    SysvInit statnet

 - Package doesn't build for unknown reasons:
    Emacs getty_ps e2fsprogs bdflush 

Since I'm developping offline I'm a bit lazy about merging other stuff
into my kernel.  With the VFS bug fixes a good couple more of packages
would build and work.

  Ralf

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:19:28 -0400

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
   Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 18:10:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Emacs should build strictly out of the box in an of itself, I know
because I specifically sent RMS patches for linux-mips support the
moment I got it working last summer with GLIBC.  (I even then logged
in to the gnu project machines and made sure those changes made it
into his tree ;-)

If it isn't compiling at all, tell me how it is failing.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 19:55:39 +0200 (MET DST)

> If it isn't compiling at all, tell me how it is failing.

Ok, special service for the Emacs people.  I'll check out why the RPM
didn't build.  I didn't care about that yet because my favourite
editor still is the prophet of Rock'n'Roll ...

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 12:17:11 +0200 (MET DST)

> If it isn't compiling at all, tell me how it is failing.

Ok, I took a look at it.  The Emacs 19.34b does not contain the least
bit of support for mips{el}-linux, so no wonder why it doesn't build.
Can you send me your patches?  I assume RMS won't like it if we take
the Emacs snapshot from the FSF ...

Thanks,

  Ralf

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:25:09 -0400

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
   Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 12:17:11 +0200 (MET DST)

   Ok, I took a look at it.  The Emacs 19.34b does not contain the
   least bit of support for mips{el}-linux, so no wonder why it
   doesn't build.  Can you send me your patches?  I assume RMS won't
   like it if we take the Emacs snapshot from the FSF ...

Go into src/m/mips.h and grep for __linux__ it's in there.

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:29:55 -0400

Ok, looks like the mips-*-linux entry never made it into the top level
configure, the rest of the support code is in there though as
indicated by the __linux__ tests in mips.h