Subject: one more Indy running Linux

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Mark Salter just joined the list.  I hope that having Linux
run on an Indy will soon be very common.  At this point it is
rare enough to be worth posting.

What is nice about this case is that Mark just grabbed whatever
we have on the ftp site currently (which is not yet ready) and
without being involved before, managed to get it to run in short order.

Whoever can fix this: Please note the hiccups and problems in
the process.  Maybe we should just update the precompiled binaries
we give to people :-)

----- Forwarded message from Mark Salter -----

>From [email-masked]  Thu Jul 24 08:20:01 1997
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:19:50 -0500
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
From: Mark Salter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: lm@cthulhu, [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> ([email-masked])
Subject: Re: [[email-masked]: mips linux]

[ pointers deleted ]

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I had relatively little trouble booting
linux on my Indy. I put the "root-be-0.00.cpio.gz" filesystem on my
PPro linux machine and built the kernel from the sources there. The
only problems were:

  * The ".previous" bug in the crossdev binutils binary. This problem got
    some mention in the mailing list, but no resolution was mentioned. I
    got the sources and a patch from ftp.linux.sgi.com, rebuilt binutils
    and that fixed that.

  * I wasn't sure how (or if it is even possible) to get  "root=" options
    to the kernel from the Indy ARC PROM, so I changed NFS_ROOT in 
    include/linux/nfs_fs.h to point to the right place where I placed the
    root filesystem.

So, you can now add me to the list of folks with Indys running linux. I
guess I'll start working on fixing up a second disk so I don't have to
boot off the network...

--Mark

----- End of forwarded message from Mark Salter -----

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 23:15:26 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, I spent some time on my Indy today, and ran into some things:

- somehow, booting with:
boot -f boopt()bootserver:vmlinux nfsaddrs:my.ip.add.ress:bo.ot.ip.addr
doesn't work.  It gives me the error ": can't open".  Odd.

But:
boot -f boopt()bootserver:vmlinux
does work.

- My root partition isn't being mounted read/write.  I can't figure it
out.  /proc/mounts does indicate that it's rw, and I'm sure the NFS export
is setup correctly.

- I have two disks on the system, sda has Irix on it, and sdb is empty.  I
didn't have fdisk compiled (alhtough I tried), but mke2fs /dev/sdb worked.
It mounted, but... I got a tonne of ext2 errors when rebooting and
remounting.  Irix tells me the disk is good.

- While doing a lot of NFS stuff, I got a the following panic:

Got a bus error IRQ, shouldn't happen yet
...
Cause: 00004000
Spinning

and then the whole thing locks.  I'm using Mike Shaver's 2.1.43.  Should
anyone have a brand new 2.1.47, I'd love to try it.

(actually, I should probably sort out how to cross compile my own
kernels... I'd be doing a good thing to package the cross compile
utilities that Ralf's made into an RPM... never mind the .src.rpm for now)

- Is there anyway to get rid of that jazzy sound startup thing?  Sure, it
puts all the Mac's in my office to shame, but after about the twentieth
time it's a little bothering...

- Binaries I'm looking for:  fdisk, ps, network tools... 

Anyway, things are looking better and better...

- Alex

      Alex deVries              Success is realizing 
  System Administrator          attainable dreams.
   The EngSoc Project

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:32:21 -0500

> time it's a little bothering...

Co-workers get the felling you are doing something interesting :-)

Miguel.

---

From: Emmanuel Mogenet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:25:17 -0700

> > time it's a little bothering...

There's a parameter in the nvram to set the volume to 0.

	- Mgix

________________________________________________________________________________
Emmanuel Mogenet <[email-masked]>                       PGP Key on
Request

---

From: [email-masked] (George Kyriazis)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:28:20 -0700 (PDT)

> Co-workers get the felling you are doing something interesting :-)

Yes...

Go into the prom monitor and set the volume to be 0.

  --george

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Kyriazis  | Silicon Graphics, Inc., 1L-945 |  [email-masked]
                 | 2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.        |  415-933-2828
                 | Mt. View, CA 94043             |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Oliver Frommel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:31:26 +0200 (MET DST)

> > time it's a little bothering...

in the boot monitor enter "setenv volume 0"

oliver

---

From: Wayne Mesard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:44:32 -0400

> time it's a little bothering...

  From the prom:      setenv volume 0
  From an Irix shell: nvram volume 0

Wayne();
617-489-7864

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:09:26 -0700 (PDT)

:
:On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
:
:> 
:> > - Is there anyway to get rid of that jazzy sound startup thing?  Sure, it
:> > puts all the Mac's in my office to shame, but after about the twentieth
:> > time it's a little bothering...
:> 
:>
:
:in the boot monitor enter "setenv volume 0"
:
:oliver
: 
It can also be done from the shell with "nvram volume 10"
or a similar low value (man nvram).

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:35:04 +0100 (BST)

> out.  /proc/mounts does indicate that it's rw, and I'm sure the NFS export

Are you remounting root after startup and do you have our export set not
to map root to nobody ?

(try mount -o remount,rw -n /)

Alan