Subject: Modules

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 19:26:55 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I tracked the modules bug down.  Turned out that it was an I/D cache
coherency problem; the modutils work fine as they are in the CVS on
Linus.  Right now I really wonder why modules work at all on any
architecture with split I/D caches.

I've built a Indy kernel with 40 modules configured.  Of these 35
seem to be working.  Not that I have taken myself the time to create
the test setups for testing them all ...  Those that don't work on a
Indy are psaux, sgiwd33, ipv6, msdos and binfmt_java.

I'd also use this occasion to introduce Thomas Bogendoerfer on this
list.  Thomas is currently as far as time permits _the_ Olivetti M700
hacker.  Means that he will also get live back into your Magnums :-)

  Ralf

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:41:29 -0400

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 19:26:55 +0200 (MET DST)

   Right now I really wonder why modules work at all on any
   architecture with split I/D caches.

On most sparc32's with split I/D, the Icache fully snoops the L2 and
even the store buffer.  On sparc64, I flush the icache when a module
mapping is made...