Subject: SGI 68k machines?

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:38:32 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi all,

over the time I received several requests of Linux for m68k based SGI
machines.  First of all, did SGI build m68k based machines at all?
If so these machines must be from latest the mid-eighties, probably
earlier?

  Ralf

---

From: Martin Knoblauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:48:42 +0200

> If so these machines must be from latest the mid-eighties, probably
Ralf,

 those were the first SGI products. The IRIS-1x00, -2x00 and
-3x00 series.

 CPU board based on the 68020. No 68881 FPU, but you could
get a FPU accellerator board based on multiple Weitek chips.
Up to 8 MB (or was it 16 MB, maybe only 4), IRIS-GL based GFX,
MEX window manager. 

 Bus system was Multibus. Disks ESDI, SMD and IPI. Don't
know what the SCSI story was. 

 Build from 83/84 until probably 88. Not a bad system for
that time.

Martin
-- 
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|---------------------------------| Phone: (+int) 89 46108-179 or -0  |
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|e-mail: <[email-masked]>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:00:21 +0200 (MET DST)

> get a FPU accellerator board based on multiple Weitek chips.

Sounds as if this beast might be similar to the Weitek based FPA available
for the 68k based Suns.

> know what the SCSI story was. 

SCSI to ESDI converter cards were popular at that time ...

>  Build from 83/84 until probably 88. Not a bad system for

I wonder if there is still documentation for these beasts around such
that some dino freak can hack Linux for them?

  Ralf

---

From: "Axel Sammet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:04:57 +0000

Yeh, I remember working on the SGI 3130/3120 in 1987/88 . they were
equipped with 68020s

and the ido was included, the os fit on a 60MB QIC tape ...

Axel

On Jul 24, 14:48, Martin Knoblauch wrote:
> Subject: Re: SGI 68k machines?
> Ralf Baechle wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
>-- End of excerpt from Martin Knoblauch

-- 

___________________________________________________________________

Axel Sammet                   | HNV Office:  +49 511 9017229
Projektmanager                | Home Office: +49 40 60679230  <----
Visual Simulation             | Fax:         +49 511 6138115
Silicon Graphics GmbH         | Fax Home:    +49 40 6047117   <----
Ahrensburger Strasse 3        | Mobil:       +49 171 3583206
30659 Hannover                | E-Mail:      [email-masked]
Germany                       | V-Mail:      331-8629
___________________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 19:58:46 +0100 (BST)

> that some dino freak can hack Linux for them?

Linux 68K current has an absolute need for an FPU. Thats one of the big
macintrash problems we are facing as the 68LC040 not only has no FPU but
for many motorola broke the exception handling so you can't even emulate it

Alan