Subject: The Cathedral and the Bazaar

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

A friend sent this to me, and I thought it was excellent.

I suspect that many people on this list will have read it already, but
those that haven't probably should. =)

http://www.ccil.org/~esr/writings/cathedral.html

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>                   Welcome to the technocracy.
#>                                                                     
#> "you'd be so disappointed
#>              to find out that the magic was not
#>                          really meant for you" - OLP

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:37:30 -0400

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
   Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:59 -0400 (EDT)

I bet he saw it on the gcc2 developers list... from me ;-)

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:47:16 -0700 (PDT)

:
:   From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
:   Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:59 -0400 (EDT)
:
:   A friend sent this to me, and I thought it was excellent.
:
:I bet he saw it on the gcc2 developers list... from me ;-)
:

It is an excellent piece.  The problem is that many will not
have the patience to read it since it is so long.

My internal "Why Linux/Freeware" web page at SGI has a pointer to
Eric Raymond's treatise (since David pointed it to me for which
I'm grateful).

To make it easier for more people to grasp I use to send
this short excerpt from the last part:

	No commercial developer can match the pool of talent the Linux
	community can bring to bear on a problem. Very few could afford
	even to hire the more than two hundred people who have contributed
	to fetchmail! [A freeware program maintained by Eric -- Ed] 

        Perhaps in the end the free-software culture will triumph not
	because cooperation is morally right or software "hoarding" is
	morally wrong (assuming you believe the latter, which neither
	Linus nor I do), but simply because the commercial world cannot
	win an evolutionary arms race with free-software communities that
	can put orders of magnitude more skilled time into a problem. 

We know this of course, now the big question is how to open the eyes
of our CEOs and high level managers (we're working on it).

-- 
Peace, Ariel