Subject: Precompiled kernel available ?

From: Jan Rychter <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 1997 20:22:25 +0200

I'm having trouble cross-compiling the linux-970723 test release. Apart
from a few minor nits (make depend problem, etc.), this got me stopped:

mips-linuxgcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/home/jwr/linux-970723/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic -mcpu=r8000 -mips2 -pipe -c int-handler.S -o int-handler.o
int-handler.S: Assembler messages:
int-handler.S:64: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
int-handler.S:70: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
int-handler.S:73: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
int-handler.S:172: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
int-handler.S:250: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
int-handler.S:270: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
int-handler.S:271: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
int-handler.S:294: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
make[1]: *** [int-handler.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jwr/linux-970723/arch/mips/jazz'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

So, any hope for a ready-to-run-barely-bootable-but-binary thing on ftp
somewhere ? I was kinda expecting this from mr. David "SPARC precompiled
kernels for people" Miller :-)

thanks,
--J.
PS: I've set up a mirror on ftp://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/sgi/
(mirrors ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/ nightly)

BTW, isn't this a typo ?

--- sni.h-original      Sat Jun 14 19:38:41 1997
+++ sni.h       Sat Jun 14 19:38:45 1997
@@ -15,7 +15,7 @@
 /*
  * ASIC PCI registers for little endian configuration.
  */
-#ifndef __MIPSEL__
+#ifdef __MIPSEL__
 #error "Fix me for big endian"
 #endif
 #define PCIMT_UCONF            0xbfff0000

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:36:36 -0400 (EDT)

> int-handler.S:294: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored

Are you using the Intel crosstools from the crossdev directory?
You'll need newer ones, we think, and I'm going to build a new tarball
shortly.  (Tonight?)

> kernels for people" Miller :-)

When I get my crosstools working again, I'll build something to put
up.

(I can't test it, unfortunately, but hey...)

> +++ sni.h       Sat Jun 14 19:38:45 1997

Don't think so.
If it's not little-endian (#ifndef __MIPSEL__), then it's big-endian
and needs to be fixed.

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>            Chief System Architect and Herder of Bits                
#>                                                                     
#> "Yoda say, `Just slap a little public key crypto into it' does not  
#>      a secure system make." -- Marcus J. Ranum ([email-masked])

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:17:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hmmmm... my compile error today was quite entertaning.  I'm crosscompiling
on an PPro/Linux system:

t' declared inside parameter list
/usr/src/adevries/linux/include/asm/processor.h:146: warning: its scope is
only this definition or declaration,
/usr/src/adevries/linux/include/asm/processor.h:146: warning: which is
probably not what you want.
mips-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/adevries/linux/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic
-mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -pipe  -c -o indy_int.o indy_int.c
mips-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/adevries/linux/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic
-mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -pipe  -c -o system.o system.c
system.c:17: #error "... You're fearless, aren't you?"
make[1]: *** [system.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/adevries/linux/arch/mips/sgi/kernel'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Heh.  I don't think anyone's called me fearless before.

- Alex

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:05:41 +0200 (MET DST)

> Heh.  I don't think anyone's called me fearless before.

That's a shopstopper that I added on Ariel's request.  I don't think we
need it anymore.  Ariel?

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:21:54 -0700 (PDT)

:
:> -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic
:> -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -pipe  -c -o system.o system.c
:> system.c:17: #error "... You're fearless, aren't you?"
:> make[1]: *** [system.o] Error 1
:> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/adevries/linux/arch/mips/sgi/kernel'
:> make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2
:> 
:> Heh.  I don't think anyone's called me fearless before.
:
:That's a shopstopper that I added on Ariel's request.  I don't think we
:need it anymore.  Ariel?
:
:  Ralf
:
Ah the early days when a build would likely not even run since you
didn't yet have a test machine over there...

Sure, if you think it is not needed (and people can actually build
something that would run on an Indy) then by all means delete it.

;-)

-- 
Peace, Ariel