Subject: Kernel compile errors...

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:43:00 -0400 (EDT)

I just checked out the latest kernel, and I get the following errors when
I try to compile. Uh, what am I doing wrong?  I'm afraid MIPS assembler is
above me.

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/adevries/linux/arch/mips/kernel'
mips-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/adevries/linux/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__GOGOGO__ -G 0
-mno-abicalls -fno-pic -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -pipe -c entry.S -o entry.o
entry.S: Assembler messages:
entry.S:208: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:208: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:209: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:209: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:216: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:216: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:218: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:218: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:219: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:219: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:220: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:220: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
make[1]: *** [entry.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/adevries/linux/arch/mips/kernel'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

- Alex

      Alex deVries              Success is realizing 
  System Administrator          attainable dreams.
   The EngSoc Project

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:49:30 -0500

> I try to compile. Uh, what am I doing wrong?  I'm afraid MIPS assembler is

Strange, I have been using the gcc and binutils packages put together
by Ralf for a long time, it is not the stock gcc/binutils, probably
this is your problem?

Miguel.

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:15:11 -0400 (EDT)

> by Ralf for a long time, it is not the stock gcc/binutils, probably

I don't think so.  The ones I'm using are those from Ralf as well.  I will
double check to make sure.

Mike is having this problem on his machine too, I believe.

What I want to do is add in initrd support so that I can try out my new
boot image.

- Alex

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 03:25:11 +0200 (MET DST)

> double check to make sure.

This is a bug which I fixed in my version of binutils, so ...

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 21:44:23 -0400 (EDT)

> This is a bug which I fixed in my version of binutils, so ...

... so I don't have the right version.

I'm using the RPM's I create in:
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/crossdev/i486-linux/mips-linux/

Those are based on the executables found in the .tar.gz in that directory.
I know that because I made the RPM, and because the file sizes match. They
are:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        27856 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-ar*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       193440 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-as*
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         6544 Sep 20  1996 mips-linux-c++*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        24428 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-c++filt*
-rwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         6544 Sep 20  1996 mips-linux-g++*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        41960 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-gasp*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        50880 Sep 20  1996 mips-linux-gcc*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       155792 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-ld*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        36924 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-nm*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       152396 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-objcopy*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       151304 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-objdump*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        27856 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-ranlib*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        14220 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-size*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        14172 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-strings*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       152396 Jul 25 20:21 mips-linux-strip*

Is this the correct binutils, and if not, where is it?

- Alex

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 03:57:25 +0200 (MET DST)

> ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/crossdev/i486-linux/mips-linux/

Check the version number and file dates.  Compare with current version and
date.  Conclusion? ;-)

  Ralf