Subject: Re: Current problems.

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:23:38 -0400 (EDT)

(Stephen, excuse me for reposting your mail to a public list, but I think
there is some value in it)

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Stephen Gass wrote:
> fx only supports the following types of partition types :
> volhdr,raw,volume,rlvol,xlv,trkrepl,bsd,efs,xfs,secrepl,sysv,lvol,xfslog
<snip>

> I don't know if the supported partition types are compatible in any way with
> linux. The regular partition tools in  root-be-0.00.cpio.gz seem to be missing
> ( mke2fs, fdisk(?) etc ) 

Actually, mke2fs is in /sbin.  Fdisk isn't.

> Hopefully some kind soul will let me know how to either :
> (a) Extract rpms

That's not too tough... it's a matter of over-ruling the architecture
checking of the rpm command line, or rewriting something that uses rpmlib.
I will hack something together.

> (b) tell me where I can pick up mke2fs

It's there for SGI Linux already.

I've stolen (with the help of Mike Shaver) from Alistair Lambie a .tar.gz
of e2fs tools fo Irix.  It's in ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/mips-linux/ . 
I had quite a bit of problems getting the raw source to compile under Irix
myself, so this was a blessing.  Alistair, if you mind, I'll take it down.

Let me tack on a big question here:

(c) How should I in fact be setting up a disk?  Do I even need to
partition?  If I'm formatting from within Irix, what device should I be
mke2fs'ing?

- Alex

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:29:05 -0400 (EDT)

> I will hack something together.

Doh!

It's --ignorearch .  No, that's not in the man pages, it's in the source
and "Maximum RPM".

- Alex

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:22:48 -0500

> partition?  If I'm formatting from within Irix, what device should I be

I remember that I figured out the name of the device from fx
comments.  It's been a while since I booted IRIX on my Indy, can't
remember ;-)

Miguel.