Subject: Challenge S

From: Chad McDaniel <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Aug 1997 16:46:45 -0700

Does anyone have any ideas about SGI-Linux on a Challenge S? As I
understand it a Challenge S is basically an Indy without video and an
extra SCSI controller. Plus, costomers with them aren't concerned
about video or getting X to run & therefore SGI-Linux would be
considered 'done' on them a bit sooner than the full Indy version. 

Is Linux run much on server-only systems?

-- 
-chad

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:03:28 -0400

> Is Linux run much on server-only systems?

I think it would be a great application but Linux is sorely missing a
very important piece - lockd for NFS.

-- 
Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA
[email-masked]                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing 
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:35:08 -0400 (EDT)

> very important piece - lockd for NFS.

Or, perhaps not:

[shaver@neon fs]$ pwd  
/usr/src/linux/fs
[shaver@neon fs]$ ls -l lockd
total 99
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users         513 Apr  4 14:06 Makefile
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users        4721 Apr  4 14:06 clntlock.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users       13087 Apr  7 21:43 clntproc.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users        7941 Apr 16 00:47 host.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users         873 Apr  4 14:06 lockd_syms.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users        4890 Apr  4 15:21 mon.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users        6472 Apr 16 00:47 svc.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users       16741 Apr  4 15:21 svclock.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users       14254 Apr  4 14:06 svcproc.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users        2549 Apr  4 14:06 svcshare.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users        6680 May 12 13:35 svcsubs.c
-rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users       13785 Apr  4 14:06 xdr.c
[shaver@neon fs]$ 

=)

Mike

-- 
#> Mike Shaver ([email-masked]) Ingenia Communications Corporation 
#>       Chief System Architect -- Head geek -- System exorcist        
#>                                                                     
#>   "Have you considered a life?  I hear they're quite affordable     
#>          these days." --- [email-masked]

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:51:29 -0400

> -rw-r--r--   1 shaver   users       13785 Apr  4 14:06 xdr.c

Cool!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike!

Windows 95: n.

    Author unknown.

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 14:43:21 -0500

> very important piece - lockd for NFS.

Linux got lockd in the 2.1.x series of kernels (which is the one that
is available for people to test on the MIPS ;-).

Miguel.

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 16:39:50 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:
> Two things
> 1.      Linux 2.1.x does have a lock daemon
> 2.      Most people and tools avoid NFS locking like the plague because
>         its faster to use polls based on the atomic NFS properties you
>         do have and some short sleeps.
> 
> Oh yes and 3. - NFS locking really doesn't seem to have much in the
> security area..
> 
> Alan

Ever tried using microsoft apps over pcnfs without lockd?

Windows 95: n.

    Author unknown.

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 21:43:53 +0100 (BST)

Two things

Alan