Subject: Re: R3000 SGI machines

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 07:24:05 -0400 (EDT)

You know I was just thinking about that this morning. I was more leaning
towards the personal iris, and the crimson with the video adapter that is not
supported in 6.2(the name isn't coming to me right now, GTX?). I was
wondering how we got the specs from the ethernet, bus, and serial controllers
from SGI. And the chip specs from mips. If I understand SGI history
correctly, there was a change in the CPU after revision 3, and we are going
to need to see if this is going to cause problems. another thing we need to
do(I'll do it) is call ID Software and get the code for DOOM so It can be
compiled for Linux.

Thanks,
Robbie Stone

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:56:09 -0700

> do(I'll do it) is call ID Software and get the code for DOOM so It can be

     The MIPS processor specifications are public, and available as printed
books.  Also, many of them are online at http://www.sgi.com/MIPS/.  

     With the approval of the appropriate division general manager, I 
supplied the people doing the Indy port of linux with copies of the
Indy hardware documentation.

     Since the Personal IRIX and Crimson use mostly VME controllers. those
drivers should carry over from other VME ports.  I don't know if I can
arrange to provide documentation for the graphics controllers.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Rikli)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:58:50 -0700 (PDT)

> arrange to provide documentation for the graphics controllers.

This may not be exactly the kind of thing some of y'all are looking
for, but since we're talking about doc & info sources for old SGI
hardware I felt I should point this one out:

	http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html

Several handfulls of general notes about the 4D and/or other R3K 
platforms.

Hope someone finds it useful.

cheers,
sr.
-- 
|| Steve Rikli <[email-masked]> ||| Any sufficiently advanced technology is ||
|| Systems Administrator    ||| indistinguishable from a rigged demo.   ||
|| NSD, EIS Infrastructure  |||                                         ||
|| Silicon Graphics, Inc.   |||               - Andy Finkel             ||