Subject: R3000 SGI machines

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 23:39:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I receive an increasing number of emails asking for Linux as replacement
operating system for older R3000 SGI machines as well as Mips Inc.
machines.  Is there still documentation available for these systems
that would make a port possible?

  Ralf

---

From: Warner Losh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:10:24 -0600

In message <[email-masked]> Ralf Baechle writes:
: I receive an increasing number of emails asking for Linux as replacement
: operating system for older R3000 SGI machines as well as Mips Inc.
: machines.  Is there still documentation available for these systems
: that would make a port possible?

I'll have to search my email archive (which would take some doing),
but someone at SGI offered to get me the sources to RISCos, or at
least the device drivers.  They were donated to berkeley, who didn't
integrate them into their 4.4 or 4.4lite release, was the story I was
told.  Might be worth looking into.  Wouldn't help with some of the
older SGI machines, but would help with the MIPS co boxes.

Warner

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:50:34 -0700

> that would make a port possible?

     There is some, which I could track down, on the same basis as the
Indy documentation.  I don't know how complete the files are, however.
There is a family resemblance in much of Indigo system, especially the I/O.
The Personal IRIS and Power Series machines, which were VME-based, are
fairly different (except for graphics), but are relatively similar to the 
MIPS VME systems, such as the M1000 and M2000.  The Power Series are
MP systems, and have some special purpose interprocessor synchronization
hardware.  The documentation for the VME systems will be harder to 
locate.

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:58:19 -0700

> older SGI machines, but would help with the MIPS co boxes.

     The RISCos driver source was supplied with every system, and we
did donate the source to Berkeley.  Most of the VME controllers were
common to MIPS and SGI VME systems, so most of the drivers, other than
graphics, would be covered.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:36:25 -0700 (PDT)

> graphics, would be covered.

I think I can still get access to RISC/os 5.x system, maybe also old
RISC/os 4.51 tapes.  What files should I try to look for?

Andy, I think you still have Resi in use, don't you?  Any driver sources
included?

  Ralf