Subject: RE: Step by step of my experience

From: Mike Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 13:07:43 -0400

Thus spake Mike Shaver:
	>  I'll clean up my current support tomorrow or Friday, and then
I'll
	>  check it in and coerce Miguel or Ralf into making a new test
kernel
	>  available. 

Is it possible to download the latest development work on the kernel,
for instance what's in the CVS repository?  Or, to quote the FAQ:

	14.  Where can I find up-to-the-second releases?

Regards,

Mike Hill

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:12:30 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

> Thus spake Mike Shaver:
> > I'll clean up my current support tomorrow or Friday, and then I'll
> > kernel available. 

We'll setup anonymous CVS access and a cronjob that will create diffs
between kernel releases such that people can stay uptodate.  Right now
you should go for the testing kernels in /pub/src/kernel/testing/, they
are the newest and most reliable onces released.  I've got tons of
bugfixes but I won't have the time to merge them in the near future ...

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 22:53:47 +0100 (BST)

And there was light (actually there was heavy..)

My SGI arrived today. Anyway after the required prelimiaries (Batallion,
making stupid indycam movies) I had a hack at the ext2fs utils and libs -
fixed them to compile and run properly under the Indy native cc. I can
successfully make and then fsck an ext2 partition.

What Im going to do next is chase the work from the Mac68K installer and
see if I can use that with the ext2fs lib to get the same arrangement working
(that is an application level toolset for installing tars and the like) from
Irix. 

To that goal I'm going to be working on the tool stuff until I've successfully
bootstrapped Linux that way.

Alan

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:02:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> And there was light (actually there was heavy..)

*grin*  And there was big - the box didn't fit into my car ...

> successfully make and then fsck an ext2 partition.

I'll work on a set of standalone utilities for the Indy's ARC (pronounce
arggghh ...) firmware.  That will bring us closer to get the thing
independant from IRIX.  In theory it should be pretty easy, but the
various ARC implementations I saw so far were beyond just completly broken,
at least the old onces which should be supported, too.

> bootstrapped Linux that way.

Cool.

  Ralf