Subject: Re: Problems with booting SGI/Linux

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 14:54:20 -0800 (PST)

Could someone help David on this ?
Is this a R4600 PC vs SC thing ?
A known hardware bug in R4600 PC ?

David: you may want to subscribe to the SGI/Linux mailimg
list (if your aren't yet):
	To: [email-masked]
	Body: subscribe linux <[email-masked]>

:
:Hallo,
:I've tried to run sgi/linux on our INDY/R4600PC 100MHz, but I was
:unable to boot the kernel. I used kernel from
:test/vmlinux-970916-efs.gz . The booting process stoped after while. 
:I use this kernel, because I wasn't able to cross-compile my own
:kernel.
:I send you the messages (handly) rewriten from the console. Can you,
:please, lat me know, where was problem? If you wil need more info or
:more tests on my Indy, I will do it.
:
:thanks a lot
:
:david kostal ([email-masked])
:----+
:
:
:
:PROMLIB: SGI ARCS firmware Version1 Revision 10
:PROMLIB: Total free ram 31502336 bytes (...)
:ARCH: SGI-IP22
:CPU: MIPS-R4600 FPU<MIPS-R4600FPC> ICACHE DCACHE
:Loading R4000 MNV routines
:CPU revision is: 00002020
:Primary ICACHE 16K (linesize 32 bytes)
:Primary DCACHE 16K (linesize 32 bytes)
:R4600/R5000 SCACHE size 0 Kb linesize 32 bytes
:MC: SGI memory controller Revision 3
:calculating r4koff ... 0007eedc(519900)
:GFX INIT: SHMIQ setup
:usenamedone misc device registred (minor: 151)
:umesa device registred (major 86)
:video screen size is 00004c88a18833e948
:console: 16 point font, 992 scans
:console: color NEWPORT 158x62, 1 virtual console (max 63)
:Calibrating delay loop ... ok - 103.83 BogoMIPS
:Memory: 28616/163836 available (1020k kernel code, 2352k data)
:Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
:NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
:Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
:IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
:Checking 'wait' instruction... available.
:Linux version 2.1.55 ([email-masked]) (gcc version 2.7.2) #122 9.16. 16:30:52
:Posix counfornance testing by UNIFIX
:Starting kswapd v 1.2.3
:SGI Zilog 8530 serial driver version 1.08 tty00 at 0xbbbd9838 (irq = 21) is a Zilog 8530
:SGI Zilog 8530 serial driver version 1.08 tty01 at 0xbbbd9830 (irq = 21) is a Zilog 8530
:Got a bus error IRQ, shouldn't happen yet
:$0 :0000 0000 1000 bc01 8811 0000 0000 0000
:$4 :8813 418c 8819 9630 89ff 5cf0 0000 0001
:$8 :1000 fc03 0000 0201 0000 9fe1 8811 99d8
:$12:0000 0001 0000 0001 0000 0001 ffff fffc
:$16:0000 c000 89fe 1000 0000 0000 0000 0000
:$20:987b fc20 a874 6d10 9fc5 5664 0000 0000
:$24:1000 bc01 0000 000f 0000 0000 0000 0000
:$28:0000 0000 89ff 5c90 0000 0001 8800 b0c8
:epc: 88033258
:slots: 1000fc03
:Cause: 0000 4000
:Spinning.....
:

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 00:47:06 +0100

> :CPU revision is: 00002020
                        ^^^^
That's a R4600 V2.0.  The kernel sources/binaries on Linus don't handle
the silicon bugs of this beast correctly.  I fixed the problem this
morning testing them on a SNI RM200.  For a proof of the test I compiled
X a couple of times; the box now looks stable even under high load.  Will
commit the bug fixes shortly.

The Indy actually seems to show the problem somewhere during or after the
initialisation of the serial driver but by my experience this CPU bug
causes all sorts of symptoms indicating everything else ...

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 13:35:14 +0000 (GMT)

Ralf:
	Has anyone attempted to build the binutils fixed RPM with the old
buggy binutils. Im trying this right now and Im getting

1.	build the srpm
	all the tools die with segv on load

2.	build the srpm static
	tools seem to work

3.	link the stuff again with the static srpm but dynamic
	dies

All the binaries crash at the same reference (000000d0 from a fixed address
so I guess its a dynamic linker error).

Im now off to rebuild it from scratch with the static new linker to see what
occurs

Alan

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 14:54:11 +0100

> Im now off to rebuild it from scratch with the static new linker to see what

I just checked the binutils on my (Intel ...) laptop.  Libbfd contains
DT_NEEDED entries for libc.so.6.  This means that libbfd was linked
against libc which will make binutils 2.7 produce bad executables.

Suggested bootstrap procedure:

  - restore your old binutils 2.7 binaries
  - manually rebuild binutils 2.8.1 + patch.  When configuring binutils
    2.8.1 do not use the --enable-shared option, it will make binutils
    2.7 generate bad libraries.
  - install the binutils just built
  - You should now be able to rebuild the rpm without problems

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 14:56:45 +0000 (GMT)

>     2.7 generate bad libraries.

Done that. I get a static and apparently workable binutils if I also turn
gcc optimisation off (otherwise gcc dumps)

>   - install the binutils just built

Done that

>   - You should now be able to rebuild the rpm without problems

gcc still dumps, if I fix that I get back to the original problem. This
is the 2.8.1 off sgi.com and has a "mips patch" listed in the spec file.

Im guessing the gcc one is a link bug that damaged gcc just slightly - zsh
also dumps gcc.

Alan

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:10:36 +0100

> Im guessing the gcc one is a link bug that damaged gcc just slightly - zsh

In that case you are probably the victim of an older libc.  I'll rebuild
libc for my sources for big endian machines asap.

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:51:47 -0500 (EST)

> libc for my sources for big endian machines asap.

libc and glibc binary RPMs would be appreciated. How about gcc and
binutils for big endian as well?

Okay.  I'm getting somewhere now.  I know I'm behind most people, but my
system now boots with a local root.

Does anyone have an editor?  It's a bit of a pain to have to FTP things
over to my i386 box, change, and re-FTP.

I'm attempting to build some more RPMs, but I'm hitting some snags with my
setup. Details as they become available... 

- A

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 05:49:28 +0100

> binutils for big endian as well?

I'll upload them rsn.  Just give some more days.  My next upload will
probably again be 100mb or so, that takes a while to compile.  Also I
don't have a network connection at home that is suitable for pumping
gigs through the world, so that will suck additional time.

> over to my i386 box, change, and re-FTP.

I'm pretty shure that I put a tarball with Elvis and several rpms with
other editors on Linus.

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 00:49:33 -0500 (EST)

> probably again be 100mb or so, that takes a while to compile.  Also I

Cool!  Now that things are working a bit better on my box, I'm a little
more eager to get things running smoothly.

> I'm pretty shure that I put a tarball with Elvis and several rpms with

Uh, could you let me know where?  I couldn't find either. The only RPMs
are ed(no, please, don't make me)  and the broken version of joe.

I've had SRPMs of RedHat 5.0 (Hurricane) for a couple of days, so when I
get my build system running well, it'll churn out the upgraded RPMs.
Having compiled a few things this evening, I can tell you it'll take a
long time.  The 4600 isn't as fast as I'd thought.

- Alex

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 11:58:26 +0000 (GMT)

> over to my i386 box, change, and re-FTP.

There is an nvi and a joe rpm on ftp.uk.linux.org as well as "ed".

Alan

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:01:09 +0000 (GMT)

> long time.  The 4600 isn't as fast as I'd thought.

If you have the tree from /devel you probably dont quite have final 5.0
We'll soon find out. My 5.0 CD should appear pretty soon and I'll mount
the SRMS directory of it somewhere for ftp.

Alan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:20:51 +0100

> more eager to get things running smoothly.

I just started rebuilding libc.  Boy, I didn't know that the last published
version of libc was that buggy.  *grin innocent*

> are ed(no, please, don't make me)  and the broken version of joe.

Also to be released: Eeekmacs 19.34 tty and X version.

> long time.  The 4600 isn't as fast as I'd thought.

I can't get rid of the feeling that performancewise something is very wrong 
with the Indy code.  My R4600 box feels faster than the R5000 Indy.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:30:12 +0100

> There is an nvi and a joe rpm on ftp.uk.linux.org as well as "ed".

While I'll stick with the king of Rock'n'Roll, I've uploaded a patchfile
for Emacs to /pub/src/misc/emacs-19.34-mips.patch.gz.

  Ralf

59f4b927f47268e7fdb0fe15c7d6d9c7  emacs-19.34-mips.patch.gz

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:28:36 -0500 (EST)

> the SRMS directory of it somewhere for ftp.

Seeing as how I actually have the CD in my hand of the SRPMs, I'm quite
sure I have the final ones.  They'll be in
ftp://ftp.engsoc.carleton.ca/pub/redhat-5.0 by the end of my day.

- Alex

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:43:23 -0500 (EST)

> There is an nvi and a joe rpm on ftp.uk.linux.org as well as "ed".

And vim, and apache, and bash...  very cool.  I didn't know there were all
thos packages there.

Does anyone have any objections if I put all those RPMs on
ftp.linux.sgi.com ?  It would save folks from having to look in two
places...

- A

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 19:41:55 +0100

> ftp.linux.sgi.com ?  It would save folks from having to look in two

Good idea.  And we've got still a gig to fill :-)

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:33:22 -0500 (EST)

> ftp.linux.sgi.com ?  It would save folks from having to look in two

Alright.  I'v put all the RPMs on ftp.linux.sgi.com. Where there were
overlaps in packages, I put the older version in the mips-linux/old
directory and I included the newer.

- Alex