Subject: Update ...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 02:08:21 +0100

Turns out that the extremly weak performance I was seeing was caused
by my init going nuts.  I really should compile ps ...  The console
performance is now better but still not good; otherwise the machine
behaves performancewise about as it is supposed to do.  Rpm factory
going to warp speed & just rebuilding X.

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:36:12 -0500 (EST)

> going to warp speed & just rebuilding X.

I know I'm being a pain in the ass, but...

I'm really, really stuck.  I'd love to help build packages, but I can't
because my libc is old and out of date.

Great, I thought, I'll just cross compile my libc.  Except I'm back to
where I was in August.  I can't for the life of me cross compile anything,
especially the kernel.  I know I'm not using the correct gcc. I don't know
where the correct patches are. And I'm frustrated. And I know that libc is
the only thing I'm missing.

Can someone _please_ break my cycle by uploading their functional libc?
Please? If I get it, and can become a productive member of society again.

- Alex

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 04:05:35 +0100

> the only thing I'm missing.

Ok ...  I'm brewing crosscompiler rpms ...

> Please? If I get it, and can become a productive member of society again.

Hold your breath ;-)

  Ralf (Whipping his Indy to compile faster ...)

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:37:47 -0500 (EST)

> Ok ...  I'm brewing crosscompiler rpms ...

Oh, thank you, thank you.  Where should I have my first born sent to?

>   Ralf (Whipping his Indy to compile faster ...)

Incidentally, is it the SRPM's from RH 5.0 that you're building?  When my
libc is going, I can run my 4600 on some RPMs as well.  I'm going to work
on some of the important things in the contrib directory, including PGP
and SSH.

If people want me to RPMify some tarballs for the X server or anything
special, I'd be happy to...

- Alex

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 05:27:18 +0100

> on some of the important things in the contrib directory, including PGP

No, I'm building Mustang.  I didn't yet receive a CD and my Internet
connectivity is currently too limited to allow me to download RH 5.

> special, I'd be happy to...

X server?  What X server?

  Ralf  (wondering what to do with Alex's first born ...)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 05:33:56 +0100

> on some of the important things in the contrib directory, including PGP

Don't waste your time on the crypto stuff - unless you happen to be
outside US and Canada.  Someone from a free country should take care
of that.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:09:00 +0000 (GMT)

> Please? If I get it, and can become a productive member of society again.

I think we are all in the same boat but I've been waiting cos Ralf did say
he doesnt get to upload tons of stuff any time he wants. 

Alan

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:19:15 +0000 (GMT)

> outside US and Canada.  Someone from a free country should take care

I've got ssh , but the images I get are broken. Once the new linker and libc
rpms appear I'll have an ssh out and probably PGP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 23:18:21 +0100

> he doesnt get to upload tons of stuff any time he wants. 

Yes.  Basically the problem is that I have to carry all the stuff to
the university for uploading.  Everything else would be pretty insane
over a 28.8k line at German phone rates.  Right now I already have about
120mb of pending uploads and the Indy is still compiling ...

Note that only publishing libc wouldn't do the job.  Some libc bugs
also affect the part of libc that are being linked statically into
executables.

  Ralf