Subject: SPECweb for linux?

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:15:38 -0800

Are there any SPECweb results for linux on one box or another? 
How about AIM?

---

From: "David S. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:24:23 -0800

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:15:38 -0800
   From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>

Some time ago I ran SGI's WEBstone benchmark on an old SparcStation10
running Linux 2.0.30  With small pages it was something like 162
connections per second with one client over 100baseT

Later,
David S. Miller
[email-masked]

---

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1997 21:03:35 +0100

>      Are there any SPECweb results for linux on one box or another? 

If you run it with the current sgilinux the results will probably be
very bad. The current network code has some performance problems (and
bugs) that will be fixed. The network code in 2.0 (especially 2.0.30
and up) is very fast though. That version unfortunately doesn't run
on SGI (yet?).

-Andi

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:43:28 -0800

> and up) is very fast though. That version unfortunately doesn't run
...

     I was mainly thinking about SPECweb on Pentium II or other PC-class
systems.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 00:28:21 +0100

On Fri, Dec 12, 1997 at 09:03:35PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> bugs) that will be fixed.

Btw, I recently reported 900kb/s over the wire for the Indy.  That was
measured using ftping huge files.  Most people prefer the numbers from
ttcp which where around 1038kb/s for an R5000 Indy.

>                           The network code in 2.0 (especially 2.0.30

I actually did complete the port of 2.0.30 as part of a commercial
project.  Not to the Indy, but that wouldn't be too difficult.  A certain
well known (Hi :-) personality from the Linux comunity is now continuing
that work.

  Ralf