Subject: back in the saddle

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 06:23:53 +0000

Just booted my borrowed Indy to Linux, and then proceeded to destroy its
e2fs partition with some excessive use of Alan's installer.

It looks like it's a viable install setup though, so I'm going to try an
produce a more managable kit tonight:
- minimal root.cpio to boot to (no kernel source, for example, and no
compiler =) )
- rpm.cpio with everything you need to do further installs via
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/mips-linux/RPMS/...
- a handful of ext2tools (mke2fs, e2fsck -- you need to e2fsck at each
step, it seems)

I'll bundle it all up in a nice tarball and stick it on linus for people
to play with.  (There are a bunch of folks here at Netscape who are
interested in playing with it as well.)

Mike

-- 
346388.73 321677.24

---

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 14:11:39 -0600

Hello guys,

   My Indy died yesterday.  I just heard it going off.

   I changed the power supply cables and checked that the problem is
indeed not with the cables.  I can not turn it on, I assume it is just
a fuse in the power supply, anyone familiar with common Indy failures?

Miguel.