Subject: Linux and the Titanic movie.

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:13:03 -0600

Hello guys,

    The computer graphics for the "Titanic" movie were done with
SGI/Irix machines and about 105 Linux/Alpha hosts running Red Hat 4.1,
there is an article covering this on:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/current/2494.html

   There are two interesting points in the article that may be
interesting for people inside SGI trying to convince management that
supporting Linux on the SGI hardware is a good thing:

	1. They choose Linux on the Alpha over Windows NT and Digital
	   OSF because:

		- Windows NT was not complete for them.

		- Digital Unix license was pretty expensive and did
                  not have ways to talk to the Windows NT servers.

	2. They did not choose to use SGI hardware because it was
           expensive.  

	   Probably what is expensive is getting all the toys they
           required: NFS server/client/automouter which are expensive
           under IRIX.

   It may be worth talking to the authors of the article at this
company to see if they would have bought SGI hardware if they had a
chance to run Linux on it.

Best wishes,
Miguel.