Subject: Follow-up: Hard Drive Problems

From: Michael Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 08:40:32 -0500

Modifications to /var/sysgen/master.d/wd93 (courtesy of dealer tech
support) have permitted my hard drive to be recognized by IRIX.  I
successfully ran mke2fs on it and I'm trying to figure out what to do
next.  Is there any further news on Mike Shaver's installer script?

Barring that, what would be the next step in installing Alex'
root-be-0.02 from IRIX?

Thanks,

Mike
-- 
Michael Hill
Toronto, Canada
[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:47:39 -0500 (EST)

> next.  Is there any further news on Mike Shaver's installer script?

As of yesterday, there _is_ news: I've escaped the Great Ice Storm and
beat INS and AIESEC at their own game, so I'm back in California and
almost ready to put a working version of the installer package up,
with new libc from Ralf and a working rpm binary from Alan.

This should happen tonight sometime.
In the meantime, you can get Alan's installer package from
ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/SGI/sgi-installer-snapshot-0.0.tar.gz
and copy the file named a.out into the directory where the
instructions would have you looking for "installer".  That's all that
program is anyway.

Mike

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:42:39 -0500 (EST)

> next.  Is there any further news on Mike Shaver's installer script?

I don't know about Mike's installer, but I'm working now on getting initrd
and a ramdisk together that'll let you do the install from Linux. Give me
a week.

> Barring that, what would be the next step in installing Alex'

The current method that _will_ work is putting the kernel on your EFS
drive, and mounting up your root filesystem with tftp and nfs.  That
assumes that you don't have problems getting another machine on the
network.

I have no idea if root-be-0.002 actually works, either.  I should probably
try that. root=be-0.00 will, though.

Oh, and as soon as we have a functional ssh server, I can consider giving
accounts on my machine for development purposes.

- Alex

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 19:37:01 +0000 (GMT)

> with new libc from Ralf and a working rpm binary from Alan.

Please bin my RPM and grab the latest and greatest rpm*.mips.rpm from
linus - now Ralf has done his magic on binutils rpm works properly and
all is happy in the world.

Alan

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:06:58 +0000 (GMT)

I uploaded an xv rpm today - its a nother -D_USE_POSIX because it uses 
signal masks