Subject: strange problem with my oli M700

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:27:05 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to read the firmware prom of my Olivetti M700 (Magnum 4000 clone).
When access the address 0x9fc00000 (which is the KSEG0 address of the prom)
the box freezes immidiately. Does anybody know why ? And how could I access
the prom otherwise ?

Thomas.

-- 
See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux,
you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)
                   [Linus Torvalds in <[email-masked]>]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:17:50 +0100

> the box freezes immidiately. Does anybody know why ? And how could I access

Did you try uncached accesses via KSEG1?  I wouldn't wonder if the used
PROMs can't cope with the bursts generated for filling a cacheline.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:24:48 +0100

> PROMs can't cope with the bursts generated for filling a cacheline.

Which btw reminds me that enabling the second level cache on a Indy also
makes call into the ARC firmware crash.  Dunno why.

  Ralf

---

From: Jeremy Welling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:49:57 -0500

Hello People,
    Just wondering if the web page for sgi-linux is a bit out of date with the
install instructions.  There's all kinds of stuff on the ftp server that isn't
mentioned anywhere.  I'll probably skim the news archive after this.  I have an
Indy.  I run Linux on my pc, and am very interested in this port.  What is the
status of the xserver?  What are the current goals of the port?  How long do you
expect before the dual boot is running?   I would be willing to run it and
participate as a beta tester and have subscribed to this list.  If you could post an
installation walkthrough or something updated for the latest changes, that would be
great.
Thanks,
Jeremy Welling
UofMich Engr Student

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:00:32 +0100

> PROMs can't cope with the bursts generated for filling a cacheline.

uncached access works. Thanks.

Thomas.

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:20:12 -0800

> PROMs can't cope with the bursts generated for filling a cacheline.

     I am pretty certain that is the case for the Magnum.  That is, you
must use 0xbfc00000, not 0x9fc00000.

---

From: Andrew Dyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:08:31 -0600 (CST)

> the box freezes immidiately. Does anybody know why ? And how could I access

Accesses through kseg0 generate burst reads on the CPU bus.  If the memory
controller doesn't support it for that region of memory, the system could
hang.  Since the system reset vector is in kseg1 (ie 0xbfc00000), accesses
through that region have to work, or the machine wouldn't boot. 

| Andrew Dyer                       <[email-masked]> or <[email-masked]>     |
| Sr. Design Engineer               (773) 961-1751                            |
| Midway Games, Inc.                (773) 961-1890 (fax)                      |
| 2727 W. Roscoe Ave., Chicago, IL 60618                                      |