Subject: something not really right ..

From: Shrijeet Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 20:04:57 -0800 (PST)

I tried to compile the latest sources for an Indigo R4k .. with minimal
functionality .. i.e. most of the newer stuff has been left out.

after the compilation, trying to bring the machine up by serving the
kernel via NFS/BOOTP gets me this message 

sash
"unable to execute bootp()tantrik:/usr/local/boot/vmlinux: Not enough
space"
"unable to load bootp()tantrik:/usr/local/boot/vmlinux: Not enough space"
sash

any ideas, anyone ??

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrijeet Mukherjee,    			Member of Technical Staff (MTS)
					Advanced Graphics Division 
                     			Silicon Graphics Computer Systems

http://reality.sgi.com/shm_engr     	phone: 650-933-5312
email: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:04:28 +0100

> "unable to load bootp()tantrik:/usr/local/boot/vmlinux: Not enough space"

Did you modify the load address of the kernel?  Indy kernels are by
default linked for address 0x88002000 because the Indy has a 128mb
hole in it's address space there.  I assumes (wje???) that your box
has it's memory mapped from 0x80000000 upwards, so this would only
work if you actually have that more than 128mb ...

  Ralf

---

From: William Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 09:38:20 -0800 (PST)

I just got hold of a spare Challenge S Series(R5000) I was
going to attempt putting SGI/Linux on.  I know the porting is
basicaly geared for the Indy's but I was going to muck with it
a bunch. Then I just saw this post and was wondering if there 
was any quick, good heads-up for these machines.  
Thanks, Bill 

>> I tried to compile the latest sources for an Indigo R4k .. with minimal
[*snip*]

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles Marker)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:04:32 -0800 (PST)

> was any quick, good heads-up for these machines.  

A Challenge S is just an Indy with the graphics, ISDN and some of the
digital media removed.  As long as the kernel is probing for those
devices and handling their non existance correctly, this should work
reasonably well.

					Charles

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 19:43:05 +0100

> devices and handling their non existance correctly, this should work

So chances are it's actually running.  So far I've never seen reports
from anybody attempting to run Linux on a Challenge S, so I'm curious.

  Ralf

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:22:58 -0800

> > work if you actually have that more than 128mb ...

        The Challenge S and Indy are identical, except that the Challenge S
does not have a graphics card.

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:24:50 -0800

> work if you actually have that more than 128mb ...

     Indy and Indigo R40000 both have the hole at the bottom of the
address space, so main memory is mapped starting at 0x88000000, with
512 KB double-mapped at 0x80000000.