Subject: maybe the clue for the memory/boot loader problem ..

From: Shrijeet Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:10:38 -0800 (PST)

running file on vmlinux and /unix gave me this ..

vmlinux:  ELF 32-bit LSB

/unix:  ELF N32 MSB mips-3 executable (not stripped) MIPS - version 1

I guess this would mean I have a compilation with the wrong byte order ..
:-( ... so what is the endianess of the indigo ??

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 01:31:49 -0500 (EST)

> :-( ... so what is the endianess of the indigo ??

Unless there's something very odd I'm missing, your Indigo will run big
endian binaries only.

(Oh, and I can now compile my own kernels. 2.1.72, anyone?)

- Alex

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:21:40 +0100

> :-( ... so what is the endianess of the indigo ??

Big endian, of course.  Did you just build a kernel for the default
configuration of the source tree?  That's for another machine which I'm
usually using a my guinea test pig ...

  Ralf

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:08:23 -0800

> :-( ... so what is the endianess of the indigo ??

      Yes, you do.  Indigo, like all SGI systems, is big-endian ("MSB").  
Among MIPS-based systems, DEC and the ARC MIPS NT systems are the primary
little-endian systems.  All the MIPS ABI-capable systems are big-endian.
(A few, notably the MIPS Magnum and Millenium systems, can be either.)