Subject: i386 crosscompile problems

From: Conrad Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 00:10:33 +1100 (EST)

Hi,

we're attempting to cross-compile a bootstrap kernel for an r4600 indy
with no L2 cache, from an i386-linux box. We have had most success so far
with kernel snapshot 971208 from ftp.linux.sgi.com, patched to work with
no L2 cache. We have built binutils-2.8.1.0.15 patched with the
binutils-2.8.1-1 patch, and using the gcc cross compiler 2.7.2-3 binary
release (rpm).

When compiling the kernel, we get lots of mips-linux-ld warnings along the
lines of:

mips-linux-ld: Warning: type of symbol 'prom_imode' changed from 1 to 2 in
misc.o

for lots of symbols in lots of object files...
Everything seems to compile fine, without excessive other warnings from
gcc and the native mips code passes through without a hitch.

When the resulting kernel is used from bootp, we get the following dump
immediately:

Exception: <vector=XUT>
Status register: 0x10004801<CU0,IM7,IM4,IPL=???,MODE=KERNEL,IE>
Cause register: 0x801c<CE=0,IP8,EXC=DBE>
Exception PC: 0x9fc31f20, Exception RA: 0x88018d04
Data Bus error Local I/O interrupt register 1: 0x80 <VR/GIO2>
  Saved user regs in hex (&gpda 0xa8740e48, &_regs 0xa8741048):
  arg: f 8800bde0 8800253c 80000200
  tmp: 8800253c 34392e31 0 33000000 0 37312e32 32352e36 8812b130
  sve: 20 a87ff234 a87498d4 a87ff53c a8747420 9fc56394 0 9fc56394
  t8 0 t9 9fc20260 at 8816003c v0 80000080 v1 8800bde0 k1 bad11bad
  gp 0 fp 9fc4de88 sp 88009f88 ra 88018d04

PANIC: Unexpected exception

ouch. We expect the problem is with our configuration of binutils and/or
gcc. Can anyone help?

K.

--
Conrad Parker [email-masked]
Linux Life: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~conradp/linux/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 22:36:08 +0100

> mips-linux-ld: Warning: type of symbol 'prom_imode' changed from 1 to 2 in

Post 2.8.1 binutils do harder typechecking.  Those messages should actually
be harmless warnings.  Could you mail them to me so that I can fix them,
please?

> ouch. We expect the problem is with our configuration of binutils and/or

 - apply the patch to the FSF version of binutils 2.8.1 (available from
   ftp.linux.sgi.com or prep.ai.mit.edu).
 - if the problem persists try removing the -N linker flag from -N

  Ralf