Subject: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:54:03 -0500 (EST)

Now that I'm nicely settled back at work with my Indy, I've had a chance
to get my system up to scratch with Ralf's latest glibc.  Much better!
gethostbbynam and such now work properly, so I can now build RPMs.

I'm in the middle of churning out the RH 5.0 RPMs, and I'll upload them
into a seperate directory on linus than the others. The only difference
with these and many of the RPM's already on linus is that they're built
against the latest glibc, and they're from the RH 5.0 install, not 4.9.1.

Most of the work is getting a build environment going; the rpm of rpm
itself on linus won't build because it's compiled against an older libc;
then there's all the other broken libraries to create or fix...

Could someone in Europe kindly create a PGP RPM?  I have one here, but I
cannot distribute it because of ridiculous laws.

Some odd problems I'm encountering:
- the bare system which runs nothing consumes 20MB of RAM.  I'm using
Ralf's 2.1.67 kernel.  Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but 'free' gives me
20MB used, 16MB which is unaccounted for.  Does this mean the kernel is
using 16MB? Wow. It explains the 'memory exhausted' problems I get.
- gcc occasionally segfaults.

But, I have a functional system I can telnet into with virtual consoles
and most things II need to get boot strapped.  It looks good.

- A

-- 
      Alex deVries          Run Linux on everything,
  System Administrator      run everything on Linux.
   The EngSoc Project       Send spam to [email-masked].

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 15:07:10 -0500

> and most things II need to get boot strapped.  It looks good.

Linux always reports all of your memory used. At least it always has on
my PC at home.

-- 
---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------8
Eric Kimminau                           RTA/RSA
[email-masked]                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing 
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
	
         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 19:25:50 -0500 (EST)

> Linux always reports all of your memory used. At least it always has on

I had a closer look at it, and indeed, all the memory is accounted for.
But, what I'm totally unused to is things taking up so much.  I've got
64MB in there now (although it's detected as 60248kB, it's missing 4MB).

Now I've got just the bare bones required to do anything productive:
bdflush, inetd and a couple of shells.  There goes half my memory.

For example, 'su' takes up 4.5MB.  This seems like an awful lot to me,
compared to the Intel equivalent of 1MB. I know the binaries are going to
be larger because of the RISC thing, but really that large?

Is this normal?

- Alex

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:54:18 +0100

> 64MB in there now (although it's detected as 60248kB, it's missing 4MB).

The 60248kb is what the ARC firmware returns as free memory.

> be larger because of the RISC thing, but really that large?

It think the way these numbers are being computed is broken for MIPS.
MIPS executables are rougly 50-70% bigger than i386 ones; the size of the
data in executables and memory should be comparable.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:17:40 +0000 (GMT)

> against the latest glibc, and they're from the RH 5.0 install, not 4.9.1.

Ok. I'll work with you on that from Monday. Ive got the fixes for several
RH5 SRPMS to build with mips.  Glibc 2.0.6 should fix the argv[0] bug
and the -lbsd problems too so much more should build

> cannot distribute it because of ridiculous laws.

No problem. I can build pgp etc again. I'll build ssh and anything else
looking fun off replay and upload the stuff back

Alan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 19:39:03 +0100

> and the -lbsd problems too so much more should build

That one actually has been fixed months ago in the CVS ...

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 14:13:33 -0500 (EST)

> and the -lbsd problems too so much more should build

My build ran until about 2am last night before hanging because of a zombie
process.  No big deal.  The first pass ended at about 't'.  In about an
hour all my work will be in ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/RedHat/RPMS-5.0 .
I've moved the existing RPMs to RPMS-4.9.x. 

- Alex