Subject: (Cross-)Compiling a Kernel

From: Mike Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:42:12 -0500

In December I upgraded my x86 Linux box to Debian libc6.  Earlier this
month I successfully built the x86 binutils 2.8.1 for cross-compiling
the SGI/Linux kernel, but couldn't get through `make dep' when compiling
the kernel (2.1.72).  Here is the result:

make dep
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/linux/arch/mips/boot'
mips-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/local/src/linux/include -E -M *.[cS]
> .depend
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/linux/arch/mips/boot'
scripts/mkdep init/*.c > .tmpdepend
find  -follow -name \*.h ! -name modversions.h -print | env -i xargs
scripts/mkdep > .hdepend
xargs: scripts/mkdep: terminated by signal 11
make: *** [dep-files] Error 125

This week I attempted to re-compile the native kernel (2.0.32) to handle
a new CD drive.  It gets stuck at the same place.

make dep
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32/arch/i386/boot'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `dep'.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32/arch/i386/boot'
scripts/mkdep init/*.c > .tmpdepend
scripts/mkdep `find /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32/include/asm
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32/include/linux
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32/include/scsi
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.32/include/net -follow -name \*.h ! -name
modversions.h -print` > .hdepend
make: *** [dep-files] Error 139

I successfully compiled x86 kernels before the libc6 upgrade.  Can these
failures be related?  Did I miss something in the upgrade?

Ralf:  I deleted the two `64' arguments in the IRIX 6.x target line of
config.bfd, but my IRIX binutils quits compiling at the same place
(stabs.c).

Thanks,

Mike
-- 
Michael Hill
Toronto, Canada
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 13:52:07 +0100

> failures be related?  Did I miss something in the upgrade?

Nothing obvious.

> config.bfd, but my IRIX binutils quits compiling at the same place

Are you talking about native IRIX binutils or the irix -> mips-linux
crosscompiler?  For the first case I recommend using the native IRIX
linker, for the later case you have to remove them from the entry
for mips-*-linux*.  See also the patch included in the binutils-2.8-2
rpm.

  Ralf