Subject: Please help - need a 4600 no L2 cache kernel asap

From: "Andrew O'Brien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 03:08:28 +0000 (GMT)

A Happy New Year to you all !

Anybody there who has a 4600 _without_ a L2 cache or who has a fairly
stable source tree and feels like sparing a few CPU cycles for a kernel
compile, this would be much appreciated if you could send me the binary
kernel.

I need to do some benchmarking on a SGI/Linux platform (an INDY) and I
haven't been able to set up the cross-compilation environment correctly
due to many factors. The benchmarks are needed by mid next week, so this
is a kinda urgent call for help :) 

There is no non-standard bits and pieces - it just need the standard scsi,
ethernet, and serial drivers. Attached is a config file for version 2.1.74
if anybody needs it.

Again, thanks for your help and I hope (and pray ;) to hear from someone
soon.

cya

  ___________________________________________________________________
 /  Andrew O'Brien       [email-masked]   [email-masked]  \
/  Student, Faculty of CSE       http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~andrewo  \
>  UNSW, Australia           President COMPSOC   http://www/~compsoc  <
\  BE (Comp)/BA (Psych)      Student Representative   stu-reps@cse..  /
 \___ "finger -l [email-masked]" for my current location ___/

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 00:37:35 -0500 (EST)

> is a kinda urgent call for help :) 

Is there any reason the binaries on ftp.linux.sgi.com won't work?

- A

---

From: "Andrew O'Brien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 06:59:54 +0000 (GMT)

> Is there any reason the binaries on ftp.linux.sgi.com won't work?

Yep - they were compiled assuming that a L2 cache was present - hence when
it tries to flush the cache during init, the system hangs horribly.

I wasn't the only one to be hit by this so I'm sure there is a binary
floating around somewhere :)

cya

---

From: "Michael Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 10:08:13 -0500

Ralf discovered and corrected this in his kernel source after several of us had
problems with his last publicly-available Indy kernel binary (8 December).
 Since then no kernel binary or source has been posted to ftp.linux.sgi.com
(except linux-magnum-971229.tar.gz on 29 December).  Maybe the fix is part of
what Ralf wanted help with before Christmas.

On Dec 21,  5:45pm, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Subject: Mergeback
> Hi,
>
> can anybody else work a bit on merging things back to Linus for the
> next couple of days?  I wont have very much time :-(
>
>   Ralf
>-- End of excerpt from Ralf Baechle

On Jan 2,  6:59am, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
> Subject: Re: Please help - need a 4600 no L2 cache kernel asap

-- 
Michael Hill
Toronto, Canada
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 09:56:49 -0800 (PST)

Important change to the SGI/Linux FTP site:

I just moved the CVS source tree hierarchy so it can be
accessed via ftp:

	ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/cvs/

There's also a link from the web site to this (software page)
	http://www.linux.sgi.com/software.html

This should enable anyone to compile a good kernel from scratch.

Whoever has a stable kernel that works on a L2-cache-less 4600
please share.  I'll gladly give this person ssh access to linus.

-- 
Peace, Ariel

:
:Ralf discovered and corrected this in his kernel source after several of us had
:problems with his last publicly-available Indy kernel binary (8 December).
: Since then no kernel binary or source has been posted to ftp.linux.sgi.com
:(except linux-magnum-971229.tar.gz on 29 December).  Maybe the fix is part of
:what Ralf wanted help with before Christmas.
:
:On Dec 21,  5:45pm, Ralf Baechle wrote:
:> Subject: Mergeback
:> Hi,
:>
:> can anybody else work a bit on merging things back to Linus for the
:> next couple of days?  I wont have very much time :-(
:>
:>   Ralf
:>-- End of excerpt from Ralf Baechle
:
:On Jan 2,  6:59am, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
:> Subject: Re: Please help - need a 4600 no L2 cache kernel asap

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:57:05 +0100

> please share.  I'll gladly give this person ssh access to linus.

I've fixed the problem and a couple cache thingies before xmas.  Will
upload asap.

  Ralf