Subject: Indy power supply problems.

From: Miguel de Icaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:53:12 -0600

My Indy is not behaving.

The power supply seems to be damaged: if I turn it on shortly after
this the machine will turn itself off.  I need to unplug the machine
for a couple of minutes before trying again to turn it again.

It can not even boot completely, it shuts down before. 

Is it possible to change the power supply with the power supply from a
PC?  The power supply box does not seem to be openable (or I have not
found the screws for it).

Miguel.

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 09:50:17 -0800

> found the screws for it).

      The power supply is unique to the Indy, includes the control switches
(power, reset, volume control) and the speaker.  Normally the field repair
is to replace the power supply.  It is possible, however, that some other
failure is responsible.  In particular, the Dallas clock/calendar chip
includes the autopower control logic, so it would be possible for a failure
there to tell the power supply to turn off.  Perhaps Ariel would know the
repair arrangements for your system.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:16:09 -0800 (PST)

Bill Earl wrote:
:
:Miguel de Icaza writes:
: > 
: > My Indy is not behaving.
: > 
:there to tell the power supply to turn off.  Perhaps Ariel would know the
:repair arrangements for your system.
:
All the developer's Indys that we donated are SGI machines
that have a support contract.  The procedure is to call the
local support office with the ID of the machine (the long number
on the back) and get a field person to replace the part that
needs replacement.  I believe Alan's monitor was replaced
in this way recently.

Miguel: please call your local office and request replacement
of the power supply (most probable) If this doesn't work, they
should be able to replace any part up to the whole motherboard.

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 20:40:22 +0000 (GMT)

> needs replacement.  I believe Alan's monitor was replaced

Yes - it did take a bit of confusion and untangling but once they 
figured out what they were doing it was all very efficient

Alan, still fighting binutils

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 15:48:57 -0500 (EST)

> figured out what they were doing it was all very efficient

Hm. I got a call over the Christmas holidays from a Mr. Hu (I think) from
SGI telling me that my machine is no longer under a service agreement.
This comes as a contradiction from what I'd been told by several people at
SGI. 

If this is true, it's not the end of the world; a smack at the back of my
monitor seems to do the trick for now.  I worry abit, though, if something
like my power supply bites the dust.

Can someone like Ariel or David set the record straight? 

- A

---

From: [email-masked] (David Kascht)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:28:44 -0800

Hello All.

All of the systems sent per Ariel's agreement with Todd Johnson regarding
support of Linux development are owned by SGI.  They are all current assets and
should definately be completely supported by SGI as internally owned equipment.

For systems residing in the US, either the user or I can call the Technical
Assistance Center at 1.800.800.4744 to open a service call.

For systems residing in a country other than the US, a service call must be
opened with the local SGI office - as in the case of the repairs to Alan's
monitor.

Should anyone ask, I can be used as a contact for verifying that a given system
is owned by SGI, and more specifically owned by my Director's department.  My
contact information is...

		David Kascht
		Silicon Graphics, Inc.
		2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
		Bldg.41U  mailstop 827
		Mountain View, CA   94043

		Phone:	+1.650.933.6569
		Fax:	+1.650.932.6569
		E-mail:	[email-masked]

All SGI representatives, regardless of country, should be able to contact me
fairly easy.

I apologize on behalf of SGI for any problems caused by our bureaucracies!

Take care.  David...

*******************************************************************************
On Jan 6,  3:48pm, Alex deVries wrote:
> Subject: Re: Indy power supply problems.
> ----- End of forwarded message from Alex deVries -----
>
> --
> Peace, Ariel
>-- End of excerpt from Alex deVries

-- 
================================================================================

DAVID KASCHT				
Asset Manager

Voice:	650.933.6569		Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
Fax:	650.932.0026		2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.   MS 827
E-Mail:	[email-masked]	Mountain View, CA 94043-1389

================================================================================