Subject: help new people get on board

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:28:17 -0800 (PST)

To whom it may concern...

It seems that tere have been a recent surge in people who
want to try SGI/Linux on their Indy's.  Unfortunately, despite
having about 10 people already running Linux on their SGIs
we still don't have a really easy, complete, up-to-date,
and straightforward doc on how to get there...

For example:

	ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/mips-linux/GettingStarted/README

says that Linux-installer-0.1.tar.gz is broken.

root-be-0.00.cpio.gz is old, and root-be-0.02.tar.gz is untested.

The FAQ/HOWTO is very old an inaccurate and has broken links:

	http://www.linux.sgi.com/faq.html

Please, could someone who feel confident with this stuff step
forward and make the necessary changes to the web/ftp site so we
can have people join the trailblazers easily?   Every minute
invested in this as opposed to hacking the code would be a much
better investment in terms of more people joining and keeping
the momentum of this project.

Thanks!

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:37:20 -0800

> says that Linux-installer-0.1.tar.gz is broken.

Linux-installer-0.1b.tar.gz is being uploaded as I type this.
It's the old installer package with the actual installer.

0.2 will have the new libc and RPM stuff, along with whatever else
appears in the RPMs or kernel tree by then.

My Indy at home doesn't work because of the cache bug, and the one at
work may be reallocated as fallout from the layoffs, so I'm having a bit
of trouble progressing with the installer.
Once we get the cache bug committed, I'll build a new kernel for the
installer package and try to push it out quickly.

Mike