Subject: 2.1.72 precompiled on Linus...

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:15:40 -0500 (EST)

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test/vmlinux-indy-2.1.72.tar.gz
is available for your usage and testing.  If there are no complaints I'll
archive 2.1.67.

- A

-- 
      Alex deVries          Run Linux on everything,
  System Administrator      run everything on Linux.
   The EngSoc Project       Send spam to [email-masked].

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:02:10 +0100 (MET)

> is available for your usage and testing.  If there are no complaints I'll

Could we also ask for the noL2 version?

The 2.1.67-noL2 runs great, we got the system installed with RH 5.0
(some rpms from 4.9.1) and it look very well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Honza Pazdziora | [email-masked] | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:07:15 -0500 (EST)

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test/vmlinux-indy-noL2-2.1.72.tar.gz
is available for your usage and testing.  

This is for machines with no L2 cache.  I can't test it myself, since my
machine does have that cache.

Should L2 cache perhaps be a compiling option? Is it possible for the
kernel to auto-detect if there's cache or not?

- Alex

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:13:57 +0100 (MET)

> is available for your usage and testing.  If there are no complaints I'll

Please disregard my previous post, I've got the noL2 version.

However, after the boot (via bootp) the screen goes blank and that's
it -- no boot messages come. It doesn't however crash visibly as the
yesL2.

It's R4600PC and 2.1.67 runs OK on it -- I can send more info if
applicable.

---

From: "Andrew O'Brien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:34:29 +1100 (EST)

> It's R4600PC and 2.1.67 runs OK on it -- I can send more info if

I wont be able to test the new binary for at least another 24 hrs (the
indy is in use by someone else at the moment) but I will try out the new
kernel as soon as possible if noone else comes up with either supporting
crashes or reports of success.

Alex - I can send you the .config from the successful compile I did on the
2.1.67 if you need it.

cya

--___________________________________________________________________
 /  Andrew O'Brien       [email-masked]   [email-masked]  \
/  Student, Faculty of CSE       http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~andrewo  \
>  UNSW, Australia           President COMPSOC   http://www/~compsoc  <
\  BE (Comp)/BA (Psych)      Student Representative   stu-reps@cse..  /
 \___ "finger -l [email-masked]" for my current location ___/

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:48:34 -0800

> kernel to auto-detect if there's cache or not?

      The L2 cache should absolutely be detected at runtime.  For the R4000
and R4400, the presence of the L2 cache is in the config register
(SC bit == 0 means L2 cache is present).  For the Indy R4600 and R5000
systems, an off-chip secondary cache controller is used, so you have to
probe the address of the controller to tell if it is present, or you
have to read the configuration bits from the EEPROM which contains the
memory controller and processor initialization bits as well.  The EEPROM
contains both an "L2 present" bit and some bits which encode the size
of the L2 cache, which has, however, always been 512 KB.  On O2, the
presence of the L2 cache, for R5000 or R10000, is encoded in the config
register.  (We did not use the R5000's builtin L2 cache controller on
Indy, because the required cache RAMs were not available in time,
and the R4600 L2 cache controller could be reused without change.)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:44:50 +0100

> kernel to auto-detect if there's cache or not?

I think I've already posted a dozen times that I've fixed this, I just
don't have the time to clean it up and commit.

  Ralf

---

From: Michael Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 08:44:19 -0500

> it -- no boot messages come. It doesn't however crash visibly as the

The result here is the same (noL2 version).
-- 
Michael Hill
Toronto, Canada
[email-masked]

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:32:52 -0500 (EST)

> The result here is the same (noL2 version).

The with-L2 version worked on my machine, but it never put anything on the
console.  I didn't notice that the first time because in the end it booted
just fine.

Uh, let me have another look at the config...

- A