Subject: installation problem.

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:57:43 +0100 (CET)

Hello, sorry that I'm asking.. don't know if this is a support mailing
list.
I have been trying to install linux on my indy today. First I tried to use
the ext2 partition, /dev/sdb1, with no success. THe kernel says:

sdb : sector size 0 reperted, assuming 512.
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1  [0 MB] [0.0 GB]

I did mke2fs as the documentation told me and that one succeded. How do I
setup the partittion table?
Well. I tested NFS instead and that worked atleast better. I could mount
root filesystem over nfs. But here is some strange errors I get:

VFS: Mounted root(nfs filesystem).
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00010005, epc ==
8804d248, ra == 8804d514
Warning: bad magic number for tty struct (04:00) in release_dev

When I press enter, I get this:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000000, epc ==
880c8730, ra == 880c8700
Aiee, killing interrupt handler

And after that is the computer (ofcourse) absolutely dead.

I'm using kernel 2.1.55 (from linux.sgi.com). Are there any newer versions
of the kernel (precompiled)? Do you recommend me to download the
crosscompile package and compile 2.1.88? Or, can't someone send me a
better kernel, or tell me where to get it (support for IRIX file system
doesn't matter)?

Best regards,
Ulf Carlsson.

-----------------------------------------
-     grimsy - http://grimsy.ml.org     -
-----------------------------------------

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:31:18 -0500 (EST)

> SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1  [0 MB] [0.0 GB]

Hm.  The 0 MB is what's worrisome, since the kernel doesn't know what kind
of disk you have.  Can you partition and format that disk properly under
Irix?

I'd certainly suggest you use a different kernel.  Uh, I think there's a
.82 kernel kicking around on ftp.linux.sgi.com.  If not, I'll make sure
there is.

- Alex

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:51:24 +0100 (CET)

> of disk you have.  Can you partition and format that disk properly under

Hmm.. I have dropped the harddrive in the floor once :)

Well, I get the same error message from the kernel with sda. (those lines
are identical.. the sda error message is just above the sdb's).

Can't you please tell me how to partition and format a disk in irix? I
have no real experience of irix, got this indy last week. But I
have ofcourse been using linux for a long time :) 

I could use mke2fs from irix, no errer messages at all. That proves at
least that the harddrive atleast is alive and kicking. 

> .82 kernel kicking around on ftp.linux.sgi.com.  If not, I'll make sure

I think I'll try the linux-magnum thing. Do you know what this is? I can't
find any information about it, but it seems to be the latest version.

Maybe this new version solves all my problems.

---

From: Masashi Sasahara/笹原正司 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:54:16 -0800

> .82 kernel kicking around on ftp.linux.sgi.com.  If not, I'll make sure

  I'm using pre-compiled .72 kernel in
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test, which is working fine on my
Irix box. However I couldn't find .82.

  BTW, How can I get the kernel source for Linux/SGI? Do I need
to get from CVS tree?  I tried to compile the source .72 but, at
least, include/asm-mips is not synchronized.

-Masashi Sasahara

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:13:29 -0500 (EST)

> Irix box. However I couldn't find .82.

Aiyee.  I meant 72, not 82.  I was working on upversioning it to 82 at one
point but never finished.

> least, include/asm-mips is not synchronized.

Yup, you need to get it from the CVS.

- Alex

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:23:58 -0800

> least, include/asm-mips is not synchronized.

I've done an export of the current tree to
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test/kernel-980225.tar.gz .

Mike

-- 
954380.35 933158.02

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:52:47 +0100 (CET)

> ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test/kernel-980225.tar.gz .

Great, but can't someone put a precompiled _new_ kernel somewhere on
ftp.linux.sgi.com since everyone can't crosscompile?

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:57:38 -0800

> ftp.linux.sgi.com since everyone can't crosscompile?

My xcompiler setup got removed to make space for the sanitized
communicator source free, but I'll clear that out and reinstall it later
today.  In the meantime, could someone else build that tarball?  Alex?

Mike

-- 
957293.37 935819.57

---

From: Masashi Sasahara/笹原正司 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:18:02 -0800

> > ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test/kernel-980225.tar.gz .

  Great, Great! Thank you very muxh, Mike. I really appreciate
your quick response.

> ftp.linux.sgi.com since everyone can't crosscompile?

  Isn't it the one I got? (I mean, vmlinux-indy-2.1.72.tar.gz)

Tks,

-Masashi Sasahara

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:19:17 -0500 (EST)

> today.  In the meantime, could someone else build that tarball?  Alex?

I'm not going to get into the xcompiler unless I have to, and I don't.

But, there are .72 binaries in:
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test/

There's two different onces; vmlinux-indy-2.1.72.tar.gz for machines with
an scache; vmlinux-indy-noL2-2.1.72.tar.gz for those without L2.

Uh, I *think* they work.  If they don't let me know and I'll compile one.  

- alex

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:41:34 -0500 (EST)

> Hmm.. I have dropped the harddrive in the floor once :)

Who hasn't? :)

> are identical.. the sda error message is just above the sdb's).

Yup.  It sounds like it's a SCSI driver problem.  Are you getting the
error message now with .72?

> have ofcourse been using linux for a long time :) 

You need to use fx, or that cutesy graphical tool that's on the menus.

NB: the latest release on ftp.linux.sgi.com is 2.1.72, not 2.1.82 as I'd
mentioned earlier.  Too many numbers...

- Alex