Subject: L4 microkernel on MIPS R4x00 freely available in source form

From: Brendan Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:02:53 +1300

I thought a few people might be interested in this, it is reported to
run on R4600 Indy
and some of you may know that Linux has been ported to the Intel version
of L4

see http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/+AH4-disy/L4/ for the MIPS version info

and http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4/ for the original L4 page

sorry to those of you who either think this is off, or object to
microkernels in general, but as the source code to this is available, I
thought it may be useful

regards
-- 
Brendan Black - Network Engineer, Telecom Internet Services
email:	[email-masked] (personal)	phone: +-649 3555238
	                                mob:   +-6425 2752667
The word "spine" is, of course, an anagram of "penis".  This is true in
almost fifty percent of the languages of the Galaxy, and many people
have attempted to explain why.  Usually these explanations get bogged
down in silly puns about "standing erect".
                -- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

---

From: "K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:46:30 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Brendan Black wrote:

> run on R4600 Indy and some of you may know that Linux has been ported to
> the Intel version of L4
> 

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~disy/L4/

We (myself and Andrew O'Brien) are working on the Linux port to L4/MIPS. 
We are currently working on a custom 4600 board (not on an Indy, but the
L4 servers are compatible). L4/MIPS is subtly different to L4/Intel
(different system calls) so don't expect the L4/Intel port to work out of
the box.

If anyone is interested in the Linux port, let us know. The L4/MIPS source
(developed by Kevin Elphinstone) is available under GPL at the above
address. 

Conrad Parker  [email-masked]
Andrew O'Brien [email-masked]