Subject: Trouble in making swap area

From: Masashi Sasahara/笹原正司 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:32:38 -0800

Hello. I'm Masashi Sasahara @ Toshiba America, joined this
mailling-list today.

  I'm trying to install linux onto indy using vmlinux-970916-efs
and Linux-installer-0.1d which is on ftp.linux.sgi.com.
  Actually I failed to start "installer" so I extracted
root-be-0.03 by hand. So I managed to install everything in
root-be-0.01.cpio. but I'm having a problem on creating swap
area.

  As far as I searched in the archive of this mailing list,
mkswap should be in root-be-xxx distribution, right? But I
couldn't find that even in the older root-be- files in old/.

  Where can I get mkswap or how can I make swap?

Thanks,

Masashi Sasahara

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:40:00 -0500 (EST)

> root-be-0.01.cpio. but I'm having a problem on creating swap

Uh, are you using root-be 0.01, or 0.03?  I believe 0.03 has mkswap in it,
but 0.01 does not.

What happened when you tried to run the installer?

You probably don't need mkswap at this point anyway, since there really
aren't that many applications in root-be that will chew up that much
space.  The goal should be to put root-be on your filesystem, and from
there install all the RPMS (which contain mkswap in util-linux).

- Alex

---

From: Masashi Sasahara/笹原正司 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 17:41:59 -0800

Hi, Alex,

> Uh, are you using root-be 0.01, or 0.03?  I believe 0.03 has mkswap in it,

  Oh, I'm sorry. 0.01 way typo. I used 0.03.

> What happened when you tried to run the installer?

  It simply says "Command not found" though I could execute
other binaries like ls or whatever came with root-be-0.03.tar.gz.

> aren't that many applications in root-be that will chew up that much

 Oh, I should write more about where I am now.
 I booted linux kernel via tftp, made ext2 filesystem on indy's
drive, and I extracted root-be-0.03 by hand (because of
installer's problem), and installed RPM stuffs.

> there install all the RPMS (which contain mkswap in util-linux).
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Great! that's what I want to know!!
Maybe I haven't extracted that (or forgot to get).

 Thank you very much. I'll try that.

-Masashi Sasahara

---

From: Masashi Sasahara/笹原正司 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 01:13:04 -0800

> other binaries like ls or whatever came with root-be-0.03.tar.gz.

  I think I see what's happened.

  I extracted root-b-0.03.cpio come with Linux-installer-0.1d.tar.gz 
again and did "file ld*" in lib.
----------------------------
% file ld*
ld-2.0.4.so:    ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib MIPS RS3000 Big-Endian Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
ld-linux.so.1:  ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
ld-linux.so.1.9.5:      ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib 80386 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
ld.so:          ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, statically linked, not stripped
ld.so.1:        ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib MIPS RS3000 Big-Endian Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
ld.so.1.9.5:    ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1, statically linked, not stripped
-----------------

  Probably ld.so for x86 was called when I tried to start
installer.

# Why x86 is here???

  Anyway, I got mkswap from util-linux and everything is ok now.
(though I couldn't find it in root-be 0.03.)

  Thank you, Alex.

-Masashi Sasahara