Subject: experiences...

From: Brendan Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:01:51 +1200

I've been watching the list for a while now, originally with the
intention of trying out LinuxSGI on a Challenge S, well there ain't one
spare anymore, but there is this indy :)

to cut a long story short, I grabbed the installer from linus, went
through the instructions, and tried various different kernels with the
following results:
(you'll have to excuse any typing mistakes, I handwrote the boot
messages)

2.1.55 (vmlinux-970916-efs.gz)

PROMLIB: SGI ARCS firmware Version 1 Revision 10
PROMLIB: Total free ram 64622592 bytes (63108K, 61MB)
ARCH: SGI-IP22
CPU: MIPS-R4400 FPU<MIPS-R4400FPC> ICACHE DCACHE SCACHE
Loading R4000 MMU routines
CPU revision is: 00000450
Primary ICACHE 16K (linesize 16 bytes)
Primary DCACHE 16K (linesize 16 bytes)
Secondary cache sized at 1024K linesize 128
MC: SGI memory controller Revision 3
calculating r4koff... 000bcf0c(773900)
GFX INIT: SHMIQ setup
usemaclone misc device registered (minor: 151)
usema device registered (major 86)
Video screen size is 00004c88 at 883a5b90
Console: 16 point font, 992 scans
Console: colour NEWPORT 158x62, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 77.21 BogoMIPS
Memory: 60544k/196180k available (1020k kernel code, 2768k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039 for Linux 2.1
NET3: Unix Domain sockets 0.16 for Linux NET3.038.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.037
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
Checking for 'wait' instruction.. unavailable
Linux version 2.1.55 ([email-masked]) (gcc version 2.7.2) #121
Tue Sep 16 16:30:52 EDT 1997
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
starting kswapd v 1.23
SGI Zilog8530 serial driver version 1.00
tty00 at 0xbfbd9838 (irq=21) is a Zilog8530
tty01 at 0xbfbd9830 (irq=21) is a Zilog8530
WD93: Driver version 1.25 complied on Sep 13 1997 at 19:13:34
debug_flags=0x00
wd33c93-0: chip=WD33c93B/13 no_sync=0xff no_dma=0scsi0 : SGI WD93
scsi : 1 host
   sending SDTR

it stops at this point and this happens no matter what options I give
the kernel (root=/dev/sd??)

2.1.67 (from linus) stops at same point (has a few different devices,
but essentially the same)
2.1.72 (from linus) gives me a blank screen (no messages whatsoever :()

aside from the hardware messages above, heres an hinv:

penguin 3% hinv
Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
1 150 MHZ IP22 Processor
FPU: MIPS R4000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 0.0
CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 5.0
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
Main memory size: 64 Mbytes
Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0
Graphics board: Indy 8-bit
Vino video: unit 0, revision 0, IndyCam not connected

I had to install Irix 5.3 myself on the machine, as someone had
completely screwed the volume header.

The disk is id=2, so irix sits on an efs partition on /dev/dsk/s0d2s0,
swap on /dev/dsk/s0d2s1, with my e2fs partition on /dev/dsk/s0d2s2,
which all installed without a hitch, once I had learned the vagaries of
fx first and the installer second. I may have a hardware problem though,
on first turning the machine on, it tries accessing scsi device (0,1,0)
on the diagnostics, which as far as I can tell doesn't exist, and then
fails diagnostics, then if you hit start system, it boots off (0,2,0)
>:-|

I am intending on documenting everything I have to do to get this
machine working, hopefully with a full install, and submit this to the
project, so - any ideas on the above lockup/errors ??

cheers
-- 
Brendan Black - Network Engineer, Telecom Internet Services
email:	[email-masked] (personal)	phone: +-649 3555238
	                                mob:   +-6425 2752667
"Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright,
white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God.
In
a booming voice, He says: "THIS IS A SIGN. USE LINUX, THE FREE UNIX
SYSTEM
FOR THE 386." -- Matt Welsh

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 00:11:14 -0500

> project, so - any ideas on the above lockup/errors ??

There is a SCSI ID jumper on the back of the disk (I believe) - binary
code (as ar emost SCSI devices). You should be able to move the jumpte
but you will have to boot miniroot, check your nvram settings to reflect
booting off of the correct drive and then probably modify /etc/fstab so
that it mounts the right things (all of this for IRIX).

I don't know about anyone else, but the only way I could get things
working at all was to have Linux on a completely seperate disk from my
IRIX drive. YMMV.

I still haven't gotten past booting with / mounted read only and then
re-mounting it read/write. The current basic root disk is missing rc
scripts and most of the networking stuff so getting it on the net wasn't
possible. Lots of people offered me places to go and grab a full copy of
their installed systems to yank down but Ive been traveling too much
lately to get to it. Maybe this week...

Eric.

-- 
---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------8
Eric Kimminau                           RTA/RSA
[email-masked]                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing 
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
	
         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"