Subject: Linux list spam and bounces

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:43:15 -0800 (PST)

SGI/Linux subscribers,

In the past few weeks we've experienced some spam on the list
as a result we've turned on restricted posting which allows
only members of the list to post.

The problem with this solution is that it may inconvenience
some people posting from different locations.  I apologize
for this inconveniece.  The subscription and unsubscription
is open so feel free to update your addresses.

Tip: you should be subscribing with a general domain rather
than a specific one:
	Good:   subscribe linux [email-masked]
	Bad:    subscribe linux [email-masked]

The reason is that majordomo (latest version with 'mungedomain')
will consider the first a general form of the second but NOT
vice versa.  if you're subscribed as
	[email-masked]

and you mail as (just a different host):
	[email-masked]

You're message will bounce with "not a member of the list".

In my next posting I will send one digest of all the bounced
messages in the past few days.

--
Peace, Ariel