Subject: xcompiler

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 22:39:35 -0800

So, what do I use as an xcompiler (i486->Indy)?
The stuff on linus in ~ftp/pub/crossdev/mips-linux/i486-linux is pretty
old-looking, and that scares me a bit.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 08:27:04 +0100

> old-looking, and that scares me a bit.

I think it should still be ok.  Most of the changes I made were somehow
related to luserland.  Anyway, if you're paranoid you can install the
binaries of binutils, gcc and libc on your crosscompiler box, then
rebuild all the toys.  This will save you from the pains of bootstrapping.

  Ralf

---

From: Oliver Frommel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:44:27 +0100 (MET)

hi,

after mirroring the CVS archive on ftp.linux.sgi.com i tried to crosscompile
the kernel (on an irix host, btw). Unfortunately the CVS version seems to be
a bit out of date/inconsistent. E.g. fs/nfs/nfsroot.c uses the obsolete
struct device ..
I finally managed to compile it with CONFIG_ROOT_NFS by replacing fs/super.c
by the one from the main kernel source and changing fs/nfs/nfsroot.c accordingly
(just replacing fs/nfs/nfsroot.c won't work) ..

Is anyone going to clean/merge this part of the kernel on sgi.com to be in sync
with the main kernel tree??

oliver

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:24:42 +0100

> with the main kernel tree??

The state of the nfsroot stuff is whatever is was when 2.1.73 on which the
current CVS kernel is based, was current.  I didn't take a closer look if
later kernel versions have already fixed that problem, but I hope so.

  Ralf