Subject: xntp

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:46:05 +0100

Don't run xntpd; there is some bug in the MIPS stuff which locks the
machine, only the usual kernel hotkeys are still working.  I don't
know why or if all platforms are affected.  The crash happend on a
RM200.  The time code is ripe for a complete overhaul anyway ...

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 19:25:14 +0100

On Fri, Mar 06, 1998 at 11:01:32AM -0600, Trevor Schroeder wrote:

> Do tell, what exactly is this bug?  I'm using xntpd on a number of non-MIPS
> Linux hosts here and I'd like to verify that it's not going to be a problem.

I appears as if a syscall never terminates or so.  xntpd just hangs in 'R'
(running) state in the process table.  This happens immediately after
starting xntpd from the command line.  For now I assume this to be a MIPS
only bug - Ulrich Windl posted some NTP4 related patches and that's about
everything I heared in the last time related to NTP bugs.  So don't worry,
I'm going to fix it next week - there is something non-MIPSish on my to-do
list that is more urgent ...

On the other side xntpd builds right out of the box for Linux/MIPS and that's
already good news, given the complexity of the thing and how difficult it
builds for IRIX.

  Ralf

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 23:49:16 +0100 (CET)

Did someone compile the latest tarball ralf made? Does it work? Is it
worth the time it takes to download the xcompiler and the source?

- Ulf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 00:56:27 +0100

> worth the time it takes to download the xcompiler and the source?

Of course it is working :-)

  Ralf

---

From: Trevor Schroeder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 19:40:30 -0600 (CST)

> list that is more urgent ...

I would agree that it seems to be a MIPS only problem as it's not causing
problems on Linux/x86.

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 22:37:30 +0100 (CET)

> Of course it is working :-)

Ok, I downloaded the kernel + xcompiler.

It didn't work, got a compile error. I can't fix it because it's the
gloomy azzemblur again.

make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/grimsy/sgi-lin/linux-980304/arch/mips/kernel'mips-linux-gcc
-D__KERNEL__ -I/home/grimsy/sgi-lin/linux-980304/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic
-mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -pipe -c entry.S -o entry.o
entry.S: Assembler messages:
entry.S:146: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:146: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:147: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:147: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:154: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:154: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:156: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:156: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:157: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:157: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:158: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
entry.S:158: Error: .previous without corresponding .section; ignored
make[1]: *** [entry.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/grimsy/sgi-lin/linux-980304/arch/mips/kernel'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Tell me if I should give some other information.

- Ulf

---

From: Oliver Frommel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 23:20:57 +0100 (MET)

> It didn't work, got a compile error. I can't fix it because it's the

yeah. i get exactly the same error messages when compiling on an x86 Linux host.
crosscompiling on an IRIX host worked though (and i could put an image up for
ftp if you like)

oliver

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 10:58:50 +0100 (CET)

> crosscompiling on an IRIX host worked though (and i could put an image up for

Yes, I would appreciate your kernel image on ftp! Is your kernel compiled
for r4x00? 

- Ulf