Subject: Could mounting sdc instead of sdc1 have solved my panics?

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:29:55 -0400 (EDT)

I redid my entire sdc because all my files were trashed on it anyway (with
weird things like .h files having random data partway through...).  This
time I partitioned using fx on Irix.

I didn't partition it the first time because I was lazy, and din't want to
have to go through the weirdo fx tool thing.

Could this have been cause for my kernel panics? I've been doing a fair
amount of work, and things seem really stable.  No panics so far.  Should
/dev/sdc work just as a block device the way /dev/sdc1 would?

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries
"romantic engsoc guy who runs marathons" - [email-masked]
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:27:13 +0100 (BST)

> I don't see any reason why the kernel should crash when using sdc instead of
> a partition.  So I forward this to linux-kernel in the hope anybody knows.

My Indy has always been on /dev/sdb - anyone who has met the SGI command
line disk partitioner can probably guess why. So far its worked ;)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:28:10 +0200

> /dev/sdc work just as a block device the way /dev/sdc1 would?

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:47:40 +0200

> line disk partitioner can probably guess why. So far its worked ;)

Fact is that two kernels, the one Alex built from linux-cvs and the one
which I built yesterday for myself, both significantly different and both
2.1.91 derived, crashed.  Each time disassembling showed that somehow a NULL
pointer ended up in the SCSI scatter-gather lists which where passed to
dma_setup in the sgiwd93.  No idea why; I've never seen that bug myself.

  Ralf