Subject: Re: what is the proper way to install linux -- part 2

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:19:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dong Liu wrote:
> Does the fdisk on root-be-0.03.tar.gz work?, the kernel said my SCSI disk 
> has 4 partitions, but fdisk prints no partition informarion.

We don't currently have an fdisk that recognizes SGI partitions.

- Alex

---

From: Dong Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:29:09 -0400

Hi,

Sorry to post again,

Dong.

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:33:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dong Liu wrote:
> Alex deVries writes:

It occurs to me that the above isn't quite the truth.

> I have two scsi disks on my machine, I plan to install linux on
> /dev/sdb, so what is the best way to partition it? using linux fdisk,
> or the IRIX's tool (dvhtool?)

You need to use IRIX's fx to create the partition.  It took me awhile, but
I got my 1GB sdb running like this.  I bought a 3GB sdc a few months ago,
and it works without any partitioning.

- Alex

---

From: Dong Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:44:40 -0400

Thanks!

Dong

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 18:32:22 +0200

> We don't currently have an fdisk that recognizes SGI partitions.

While this is correct, it's no real problem.  You can use PC-style partition
tables on all disks except the disks where sash resides and where it loads
the kernel from.

PC-style partition table can actually be quite handy.  When bringing up
Linux on the Indy for the first time from a disk I prepared the disk hooked
on to a Linux PC.  After that I just hooked the disk on to the Indy and
had the first Indy booting from disk.  Except DaveM, that is.

  Ralf