Subject: Rex and the Newport.

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:32:46 -0400 (EDT)

Miguel,

	As per the discussions on #linux, could you let us know when you
have the tar of the rex example you have?  Many thanks.

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries
"romantic engsoc guy who runs marathons" - [email-masked]
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:34:04 +0200

> have the tar of the rex example you have?  Many thanks.

Btw, whe really should switch all MIPS machines to fbcon or will never
have a kernel with reasonable fast console and support for multiple
GFX types in kernel binary.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:38:25 +0100 (BST)

> GFX types in kernel binary.

fbcon assumes direct memory access to the display. abscon is probably
what you want.

Alan

---

From: Olivier Galibert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:45:02 +0200

> GFX types in kernel binary.

Why not KGI ?

<dodging the fireballs>

  OG.

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:54:32 +0100 (BST)

> > GFX types in kernel binary.

As of about now KGI provides accelerator and mode switching modules to
fbcon/abscon. Whatever the peanut gallery may be doing the KGI heads
_are_ clueful

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:55:48 +0200

> fbcon assumes direct memory access to the display. abscon is probably

Sorry, yes.  I had the G364 based video card for Magnum 4000 /
Olivetti M700-10 in mind which in fact is just a dumb fb.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:12:04 +0100 (BST)

> I do  think so   too  actually.  They  just  have  a  "let's  reinvent
> everything" tendancy that plays against them. And very very bad PR.

Not the  clueful bits - the noisy bits yes

> The only problem I have seen with GGI (reading thier documentation) is
> that  non-framebuffer    devices   does   not seem   to     be  really
> supported... if  I'm wrong it may  be easier to  use KGI/GGI for video

They are not well supported.

> support on sgi instead of filling the gaps in XFree86.

Its easier to make XAA work on mips and go from there.

> This would have the additional side effect to allow the use of SVGAlib
> programs and maybe open the way to a nice Mesa integration.

Svgalib apps will run under X with the svgalib/ggi on ggi/xshm on X ..

---

From: Olivier Galibert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:14:02 +0200

OG.

---

From: Olivier Galibert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:21:56 +0200

> Svgalib apps will run under X with the svgalib/ggi on ggi/xshm on X ..

ITYM "crawl". HTH. HAND.

:-)

  OG.