Subject: Stuff I'm looking for.

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:37:49 -0400 (EDT)

Some weirdness happened to my subscription to the mailing list; here's my
mail from yesterday.

-- 
Alex deVries
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .
EngSoc, US National Headquarters

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 18:25:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
To: SGI Linux <[email-masked]>
Subject: Stuff I'm looking for.

I'm interested in finding the following things, before I invest time in
recreating them:

1. XFree stuff.
Somewhere, somehow, I picked up a copy of /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6.1,
but I no longer remember who compiled it for SGI/Linux. Alan, maybe? In
any case, when I try to run 'xterm' (which came in the same tarball,
IIRC), I get a:
libXaw.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

although the file exists.

Does anyone have source patched I could turn into an RPM, or is this all
pretty much just from the source?

2. binutils

I think my sdb has taken a bit of a crash, since I can compile properly
only at certain times of the day.  Is there a binutils RPM out there
anywhere, and if not, can people tell me a list of the required patches
and latest version?

Other notes:
- When rpm 2.5 comes out later this week (possibly today), it'll have the
problems with mipseb/mipsel sorted out.  Eventually all the RPMs on Linus
in the mipsel are going to have to be replaced with repackaged ones.  When
RedHat 5.1 comes out (my guess: early next month), I'll compile the mipseb
packages.  In any case, I'll get mipsel RPMs out when 2.5 comes out for
easy upgrading.

- I'm going to be in Raleigh-Durham for LinuxExpo May 28-30.  Is there any
chance of us having an informal get together? 

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .
EngSoc, US National Headquarters

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 18:07:55 +0200

> although the file exists.

Check /etc/ld.so.conf.  It should contain a line ``/usr/X11R6/lib'' or
``/usr/X11R6/lib''.  If it's missing, add it and run /sbin/ldconfig.
Note that adding the path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH won't work for suid programs
like for example xterm.

> pretty much just from the source?

Last X work I've done is a port of all XFree 3.3.1 (client only).  Miguel
was working on the kernel stuff for running Xsgi but got stalled due to
Gnome.  I'm currently travelling, so I don't have access to all my disks but
I *think* I've got the latest X sources with me; I'll attach a diff file.

> anywhere, and if not, can people tell me a list of the required patches

Native rpms are out there.

> in the mipsel are going to have to be replaced with repackaged ones.

The incompatibility isn't that bad; rpm can be forced to install rpms of
the other flavour safely.

>  When

Ok.  When you upload srpms to linus, could you also keep a list online,
which of them have been modified?  That will keep upgrading / merging changes
back to Redhat easier.

> chance of us having an informal get together? 

I might be there.

  Ralf