Subject: RedHat 5.0 updated RPMS for SGI/Linux

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 15:12:30 -0400 (EDT)

The result of a week of rebooting my machine and avoiding kerne problems
is almost all the appropriate update RedHat 5.0 RPMs being ported.  The
ones that have changed are:

May 02  4:00  AdV  Caught up with RedHat updates for 5.0

   Xconfigurator-3.26-1.mipseb.rpm
   amd-920824upl102-11.mipseb.rpm
   autofs-0.3.14-2.mipseb.rpm
   bind-utils-4.9.6-7.mipseb.rpm
   bind-4.9.6-7.mipseb.rpm
   dump-0.3-11.mipseb.rpm   
   elm-2.4.25-11.mipseb.rpm
   findutils-4.1-21.mipseb.rpm
   gated-3.5.8-1.mipseb.rpm
   gtk-devel-0.99.970925-3.mipseb.rpm  
   gtk-0.99.970925-3.mipseb.rpm
   gzip-1.2.4-10.mipseb.rpm
   imap-4.1.BETA-9.mipseb.rpm
   initscripts-3.32-1.mipseb.rpm
   info-3.12-1.mipseb.rpm
   kbd-0.94-6.mipseb.rpm
   ld.so-1.9.5-2.mipseb.rpm
   lpr-0.31-1.mipseb.rpm
   lynx-2.8-1.mipseb.rpm
   mh-6.8.4-6.mipseb.rpm
   ncftp-2.4.3-1.mipseb.rpm
   procps-X11-1.2.7-1.mipseb.rpm
   procps-1.2.7-1.mipseb.rpm
   portmap-4.0-8.mipseb.rpm
   perl-5.004-4.mipseb.rpm
   pine-3.96-7.mipseb.rpm
   quota-1.55-7.mipseb.rpm
   rmt-0.3-11.mipseb.rpm
   rpm-devel-2.4.109-1.mipseb.rpm
   rpm-2.4.109-1.mipseb.rpm
   shadow-utils-970616-11.mipseb.rpm
   texinfo-3.12-1.mipseb.rpm
   textutils-1.22-5.mipseb.rpm
   tmpwatch-1.5-1.mipseb.rpm
   tcp_wrappers-7.6-2.mipseb.rpm
   transfig-3.2-3.mipseb.rpm
   trn-3.6-11.mipseb.rpm
   usernet-1.0.6-1.mipseb.rpm
   vixie-cron-3.0.1-20.mipseb.rpm
   wu-ftpd-2.4.2b15-6.mipseb.rpm
   xserver-wrapper-1.1-1.mipseb.rpm
   yppasswd-0.9-3.mipseb.rpm
   ypbind-3.3-3.mipseb.rpm

The ones I still haven't sorted out are:
ld.so
kaffe
smbfs
util-linux
mars-nwe
ppp
ncpfs

Now, all of this should eventually be sorted out, and I haven't looked
through Alan's entire source patches. Most of the work in all of this is
actually organizing things.

Please, if you modify the contents of the RPMs directory on linus, keep
the log in README.txt.

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries
"romantic engsoc guy who runs marathons" - [email-masked]
http://www..engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 01:08:16 +0200

> May 02  4:00  AdV  Caught up with RedHat updates for 5.0

Could you also mention that on the news page?  People already believe
the project is dead because nobody writes stupid web docs ...

>    ld.so-1.9.5-2.mipseb.rpm

No.

Heavens, I don't know why this thing built at all for you but this package
neither supports MIPS nor is it required.  The program interpreter (aka
dynamic linker) for GNU libc is packaged in GNU libc.  I suggest removing
this package from our source trees.

> The ones I still haven't sorted out are:

See above.

> kaffe

Afaik kaffee is hairy, because writing a MIPS JIT is required.

> ncpfs

At least some of these will build if you install Linux 2.0 header files
and the X stuff of which tarballs are online.  It's one of the cheats I
never published ...  I'm using the headerfiles of my Cobalt Qube kernel for
this purpose.  They should have newer kernel source rpms on ftp by now, I
think.

> Please, if you modify the contents of the RPMs directory on linus, keep

Definately, the current documentation is pretty much (censored).

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 20:56:08 -0400 (EDT)

> the project is dead because nobody writes stupid web docs ...

Yup, that's done now.

> neither supports MIPS nor is it required.  The program interpreter (aka

It built badly, but it slipped through the cracks and made it into the
distribution.  I didn't quite know the status of it.  Anyway, this is now
in the trash.

> Afaik kaffee is hairy, because writing a MIPS JIT is required.

Yeah, I don't see this happening any time soon.  Too bad.

> this purpose.  They should have newer kernel source rpms on ftp by now, I

util-linux definitely needs some fixing, it is such a badly written
package.  The others were things like errors with FD_ZERO and others,
clearly with header files being, er, different than on i386.

This brings up the issue of getting all the kernel fixes back into the
main stream kernel _before_ 2.2 so that things get synched up right.
There's a large amount of comfort for this project to stick with what The
Big Guys (RedHat) are releasing.  Of course we don't know that they'll be
moving to 2.2 when it comes out, but 2.0 is useless for us and 2.1 seems
less likely.  Of course, all this is just guess work, since intelligently
people are avoiding vapourware.  I doubt there's even been an announcement
of Red Hat distributing a 5.1...

In #linux, Alan said that Ralf and DaveM were working on this merge.  I
know that Mike Shaver said he was interested.  All I can say is that I
probably don't have time for it.

Also, for the mipsel packagers out there, could you kindly now use RPM
2.4.109?  There's a source RPM on linus for this. It generates a different
architecture of the packages.  If I had a mipsel machine, I'd do it,
but...

> Definately, the current documentation is pretty much (censored).

Yup.  Oh, god, doing the actual work is so much more fun than updating WWW
pages... *sigh*.

- Alex

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 14:47:44 +0200

> distribution.  I didn't quite know the status of it.  Anyway, this is now

It actually be changed to prevent it from being building on MIPS and others
which have no use for it.

> clearly with header files being, er, different than on i386.

Linux 2.0 headers help somewhat.

> main stream kernel _before_ 2.2 so that things get synched up right.

Include/asm-mips, drivers/scsi/sgiwd93.[ch], drivers/net/sgiseeq.[ch],
arch/mips/ are in sync with vger-cvs, from where they'll go to Linus.
I've got some more hacks on hold.  Once they're commited, I won't have
time for some days, then I'll start upgrading the thing to linus-current.
Will have to redo some things, one of my disks has thrown the spoon ...

> 2.4.109?

Does this mean that the mipsel/mipseb modifications are now distributed with
RedHat's sources?

>           There's a source RPM on linus for this. It generates a different

I have several le machines.

> Yup.  Oh, god, doing the actual work is so much more fun than updating WWW

Agreed, but it has to be done.  I'm myself a web hater ...

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 22:13:17 -0400 (EDT)

> which have no use for it.

Yup.  I'll get those fixes in.

> Does this mean that the mipsel/mipseb modifications are now distributed with

Not now, and not in RH 5.1.  Once RH 5.1 is out, I'll be feeding fixes
back to RH.  Both Erik Troan and Alan have said they'll handle fixes.

- Alex