Subject: Missing something obvious?

From: Leon Verrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 12:06:03 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Apologies for launching in with nowt but a question but I'm obviously
missing something on the SGI Linux installation...

I've downloaded a built kernel, root-be-0.03.cpio and the installer prog,
built a filesystem, got the files on etc. and can boot to single user. The
question is; "Where do I go from here?". On the one hand I have the kernel
source, a gcc RPM, glibc tarball etc. and on the other a machine with a
_bare_ bones system (i.e. won't get to init 2 as no scripts on /etc/rc2.d/,
mount fails to mount /etc/fstab entries prompting rc.sysinit hacking etc...)

Before this degenrates into whine about the maintainance/recency of info on
www.linux.sgi.com [1] some info on how to get to the next step would be well
appreciated. In fact just URLS to the right places would get me started and
leave you all to the important kernel hackery :)

Cheers for any help.

Leon

[1] If you need a maintainer for this lot then I'd be willing to give it a
shot... I did wonder if the project was dead myself.

-- 
Leon Verrall - 01189 307734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.
Silicon Graphics, Forum 1,   \ And answer a call while you still care at all
Station Rd., Theale, RG7 4RA / 'cos nobody will if you wont" (6:00 - DT)

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:53:06 -0400 (EDT)

> mount fails to mount /etc/fstab entries prompting rc.sysinit hacking etc...)

Leon,

	I doubt there's anyone on this list that can defend the clarity of
the documentation on the WWW site.

	The next goal is this: download all the RPMs, and install them via
FTP.  You can get the RPMs themselves from
ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/redhat/hurricane/ or similiar.  Those packages make
up something like 80% of Red Hat 5.0.

	When looking for the RPMs, remember that SGIs use 'mipseb'
binaries, NOT mipsel.

	And, let us know how it goes.

- Alex

---

From: Jeremy John Welling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:38:57 -0400 (EDT)

I agree,
	I have an Indy at home, and would not hesitate in getting a second
disk for linux, except that it sounds like a royal pain to get up and
running due to lack of documentation.  I know a working port with no docs
is better than a non-working w/docs, but I don't think it would take much
effort to keep an up-to-date set of installation instructions.  Also, an
update on the status of the Xserver would be appreciated.  A) which will
take less work to get up and running- xfree, Xsgi _or_ is GGI an option?
B)  What exactly needs done on the one closest to completion? I'm willing
to help, if it sounds like I can.
Thanks, 
Jeremy Welling

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 17:14:52 -0700 (PDT)

:
:
:On Wed, 6 May 1998, Leon Verrall wrote:
:> Apologies for launching in with nowt but a question but I'm obviously
:> missing something on the SGI Linux installation...
:> I've downloaded a built kernel, root-be-0.03.cpio and the installer prog,
:> built a filesystem, got the files on etc. and can boot to single user. The
:> question is; "Where do I go from here?". On the one hand I have the kernel
:> source, a gcc RPM, glibc tarball etc. and on the other a machine with a
:> _bare_ bones system (i.e. won't get to init 2 as no scripts on /etc/rc2.d/,
:> mount fails to mount /etc/fstab entries prompting rc.sysinit hacking etc...)
:
:Leon,
:
:	I doubt there's anyone on this list that can defend the clarity of
:the documentation on the WWW site.
:
:	The next goal is this: download all the RPMs, and install them via
:FTP.  You can get the RPMs themselves from
:ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/redhat/hurricane/ or similiar.  Those packages make
:up something like 80% of Red Hat 5.0.
:
:	When looking for the RPMs, remember that SGIs use 'mipseb'
:binaries, NOT mipsel.
:
:	And, let us know how it goes.
:
:- Alex
:

Do we have a volunteer who has gone through the process
and can update the HOWTO ?

If the volunteer doesn't have ssh access to linus,
just email me the public key and desired username
and (s)he'll be granted access.

Thanks!
-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: Leon Verrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 09:27:05 +0100 (BST)

> and can update the HOWTO ?

Once I've gone through it I'd be happy to document it. Just in the process
of dragging down all the RPMS I need. dependancies, dependancies...

Leon