Subject: Making Progress

From: Michael Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 05:39:11 -0400 (EDT)

Trying to boot the kernel (2.1.90) I can now get beyond the SCSI
detection stage but now it stops at this point:

	Sending BOOTP and RARP requests............. timed out!
	IP-Config: Auto-configuration of network failed.
	Partition check:

I'm not connected to a network; can I bypass the ethernet check?

My root drive is recognized as sdb, but the installer procedure was
the only preparation I gave it.  Until now it has been my external
IRIX drive.  Is there something I need to do first with fx?

Thanks,

Mike
-- 
Michael Hill
Toronto, Canada
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 12:56:02 +0200

> 	IP-Config: Auto-configuration of network failed.

Try adding ip=none to your boot commandline.  This should disable the
BOOTP / RARP stuff.  Have you given a root=/dev/foo argument to
indicate your root device?

> I'm not connected to a network; can I bypass the ethernet check?

This happens only because your kernel has been built to autoconfigure
the network stuff and boot from NFS.  If you compiled this kernel yourself,
just disable the respective options.

> IRIX drive.  Is there something I need to do first with fx?

Adding a partition wouldn't be bad.

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 11:27:03 -0400 (EDT)

> 	IP-Config: Auto-configuration of network failed.

Hm.  The bootup actually stops at that point?  It doesn't identify any
partitions or complain about any errors?  This sounds like a SCSI problem
to me.

In theory, you should be able to boot with 'vmlinux root=/dev/sdb'.

- alex