Subject: more changes on linus.linux.sgi.com

From: Bob Mende Pie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

The system linus.linux.sgi.com now has a new disk configuration for /src.
It is now a pair of high speed 4g drives mirrored (via xlv).   The old disk
array is offline, but will not be recycled for at least a week.  Please let
me know if you see any problems or data discrepencies.   

   The system is now a 150Mhz R4400 running on a Challenge/S.   Before we
consider upgrading linus to run linux, we should have support for the
Challenge/S.  I have a IO+ card free, but the backplate of the indy does
not allow for it to fit into a box.  I am seeing if I can get a Challenge/S
for loan for a few months so we can get it someone who can do the HW port
for it.   It should be close to a no brainer since it is just a few more WD
scsi chains and another ethernet (just like the internal one).

                    /Bob...                    mailto:[email-masked]
              http://reality.sgi.com/mende            KF6EID

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:12:52 -0400 (EDT)

> me know if you see any problems or data discrepencies.   

Good! Thanks!

> scsi chains and another ethernet (just like the internal one).

I'd definetly be interested in that port...  off the top of my head, it
doesn't sound difficult either.

I do really think that having some SGI/Linux machine within
*.linux.sgi.com would be good; if we're advocating that Linux on the SGI
is a reasonable proposition, it would prove a lot if we said that we were
hosting our own FTP and WWW sites on it.

However, there's definitely advantages to having Irix kicking around...
it's much easier having a reference Irix system for reference than
rebooting.

- Alex

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 16:53:20 -0400

> it's much easier having a reference Irix system for reference than

I should have an Indy running IRIX 6.5 available on the net for anyone
looking for an account that "needs" one in another 2 weeks.

Eric.

-- 
---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7
Eric Kimminau                           RTA/RSA
[email-masked]                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing 
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
	
         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"

        Copyright 1998, Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
        Confidential to Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
                ** -- not for redistribution -- **