Subject: Ah, a problem with rpm!

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:44:43 -0400 (EDT)

So, here I am, trying to figure out why on earth we always get those
errors in the installer for the RH installer.  I've figured it out!

See, the installer has this neato way of figuring out the order to install
packages in.  It's determined by what each package you choose requires.
If the package in question has a %post script or similiar, those elements
are required, and so they end up in the calculation of the install order.

So, I thought it was weird that the %post script of ash required the use
of /usr/bin/[, yet that wasn't included in what the binary required.  That
would throw the whole calculation of install order off.

Now, why would rpm build such an erronous package?  I don't quite know if
it is my build environment, or a genuine bug in RPM.  I'm playing with
that now.

The solution to this is either to fix the build environment or rpm, and
then rebuild pretty much all the packages.  *sigh*

The stuff to look for is:

...
Processing files: hello
Finding provides...
Finding requires...
Prereqs: /bin/sh
Requires: ld-linux.so.2 libc.so.6
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/hello-0.10-2.src.rpm
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/hello-0.10-2.i386.rpm
...

or similiar.  On my Indy, I _don't_ get the "Requires: " line at all. Do
other people?

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:58:24 +0200

> or similiar.  On my Indy, I _don't_ get the "Requires: " line at all. Do

I do get them.  If you don't get them, then probably ldd isn't working
on your machine.  There was a kernel bug causing this and the bugfix is
in the CVS since quite some time.

  Ralf