Subject: Re: Linux / freeware

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:08:57 -0700 (PDT)

:
:I'm a SGI at CSC running a network of O2s, O200s and Onyx2s, plus a couple
:of Indys and a Challenge S, running 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 on the approriate
:hardware, plus 6.5B on one of the Indys. All up about 30 machines, and I
:have more or less BOFH level control of them. I've even got a gutless
:(R4000SC / 24bit / 32MB) Indy at home that I can explode at will, which
:is about to be upgraded from 6.2 -> 6.5B.
:
:  What I was wondering was: is any of the above useful to you for either
:the Linux port, or freeware support. I am not an expert C programmer,
:but I'm not totally clueless, having ugrad C experience. I'm fairly
:advanced at SGI admin and support, and have Linux on PCs at home. I have
:fast-ish internet connectivity at work (512kB - which is quick for OZ)
:and will have a Linux PC sitting at an ISP shortly.
:
:  I have the full SGI developer kit at work + gcc, with gcc at home,
:plus the chunks of IDO required to bootstrap gcc. I can even provide an
:Australian WWW mirror if that would be useful.
:
:  I'd be fairly happy to bang my head against a wall trying to get Linux
:running on my Indy, and to help with testing IRIX apps under linux.
:There seems to be little point porting all the Irix apps to Linux with
:the associated licensing probs, when every SGI box comes with the base
:OS already.
:
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------
:Richard Lane, System Administrator
:CSC Australia - Major Defense Projects - Network Engineering
:CSC email:     <[email-masked]>
:-------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
:
[CCing the Linux list]

Dear Richard,

Thanks for the offers.

I'm signed on the web pages because I helped put them up
however, I'm swamped with "real" work and am no longer put
my time into coordinating the SGI/Linux port.

My best advice would be: please subscribe to the mailing list
install SGI/Linux on your Indy and communicate your experiences
and suggestions on the list.  There are about 100 subscribers
most of them ouside SGI.

-- 
Peace, Ariel