Subject: What is the config of the kernel

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:01:08 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

what is the correct kernel configuration for that 2.1.99 in the RH 5.1
Alpha 1? We tried to take regular kernel, make config and make dep run
fine but then it failed with a lot of messages (I can send them if
needed). So the question is: when I would like to try to compile my
own kernel (just for the fun of it ;-), what are the recommended steps?

Thanks,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Honza Pazdziora | [email-masked] | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:44:04 -0400 (EDT)

> own kernel (just for the fun of it ;-), what are the recommended steps?

That is a good question, and one I'm solving now.

You need the kernel out of the CVS; the regular one will not work.

I'm in the midst of packaging up the kernel source as an RPM, complete
with a default config.  Give me 24 hours.

- alex

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:56:26 +0200 (MET DST)

> with a default config.  Give me 24 hours.

;-) It's yours. BTW, I now checked that sysklog-1.3.26-1 from hurricane
contrib can be compiled and run without problem. I have it in mips.rpm
-- shall I upload it somewhere?

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:10:12 -0400 (EDT)

> -- shall I upload it somewhere?

I've got the one from Manhattan done, so that's okay.  And, uh, you are
generating your packages as 'mipseb', not 'mips', eh?  'mips' in RPM is
something we need to stamp out ASAP.

It's clear I need to be a bit quicker in my uploading updates so that we
don't end up replicating work. Sorry...

- Alex

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:04:32 +0200 (MET DST)

> something we need to stamp out ASAP.

Hmmm, I just did rpm -i, rpm -bb, rpm -Uvh.

> don't end up replicating work. Sorry...

No, it's just that I wanted to try that it works. Let me know if there
is some compilation work I could let run on this Indy.