Subject: Cheap used SGi boxes

From: Murray Stokely <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:47:02 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone know of a good source for old, used SGi systems?
http://www.xsnet.com seems to be the best source I can find on the net
for old Indigo II's and such but I can't find much older, cheaper, or
more capable of running Linux.  I'd really prefer to have something
better than 8bit graphics and I guess that limits my choices for
low-end systems as well.  I didn't have much luck dealing with SGi
people directly because they just kept trying to get me to buy a newer
system.

One system that caught my eye was this one :

R4400 200MHz/1MB SC, XL, 64MB, 2GB, 17"                 $ 1,600 Ea.

But last I checked I wouldn't be able to run Linux for quite a while.

	- Murray

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:17:56 -0400

> But last I checked I wouldn't be able to run Linux for quite a while.

Go to http://www.sgi.com and search for "Systems remarketing" - there
is also a link to their home page on http://www.linux.sgi.com. The
":best" part about these systems is that if purchased today with any
kind of hardware support you would also be elegible for IRIX 6.54
upgrades when they become available in the next month or so.

Eric.

Eric.

-- 
---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7
Eric Kimminau                           RTA/RSA
[email-masked]                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing 
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
	
         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"

        Copyright 1998, Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
        Confidential to Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
                ** -- not for redistribution -- **

---

From: [email-masked] (William Fisher)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:18:31 -0800 (PDT)

> But last I checked I wouldn't be able to run Linux for quite a while.
	Have you talked with SGI/MIPS Remarketing Business Unit? They
	sell older machines which have been re-conditioned.

	I have pointed a couple of ISP's who are using R4K Indigo's as
	WEB servers to them, since they wanted to buy more machines.

-- Bill

---

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:59:00 -0500

> But last I checked I wouldn't be able to run Linux for quite a while.

Does anyone know if an Indigo II like this one can be upgraded to a max
impact and if it can, how much that would cost?  Or maybe just buy one
with max impact already in it and how much IT would cost?

Thanks,
David

---

From: Brendan Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:10:31 +1200

> But last I checked I wouldn't be able to run Linux for quite a while.

try also http://www.reputable.com, I remembered seeing this one on the old SGI
systems
documentation page at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html

-- 
Brendan Black - Network Engineer, Telecom Internet Services
email:	[email-masked] 

"Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright, white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God. In
a booming voice, He says: "THIS IS A SIGN. USE LINUX, THE FREE UNIX SYSTEM
FOR THE 386." -- Matt Welsh

---

From: "Michael W. Folsom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:15:07 -0600

Hi:

Re: finding a used SGI system.  I realize that the origional
poster used the word *cheap* in the subject line but I've
never found any SGI box to be cheap.  Before anybody howls
I've got to stress that I'm a very, very big SGI fan.  I
currently own 3 of 'em myself.  But, as they say, you get
what you pay for and with SGI you get alot. So, you will
seldom if ever find a cheap SGI!

But, I digress.  Re: the sources for used SGI systems.  A
couple of people have already mentioned Reputable Systems,
their page is at:

	http://www.reputable.com

They have an excellent reputation in the SGI community.  At
the end of their SGI equipment listing there is a group of
links to other SGI sites and the SGI FAQ.  One site that's
particularly execellent is the "This Old SGI" page at:

(You don't know how many times I wished that there were
similar pages for older Sun, Dec, and HP equipment!  I've
just got hold of a DEC 5000/260 to play with the mips port
of Linux on and finding info on the box is very difficult!)

I should also mention Minicomputer Exchange.  I've dealt
with Chris Patterson several times and have no complaints -
he's always been pretty easy to work with.  He also seems to
know a lot about SGI's.  Their page is at:

	http://www.mce.com

And finally I shouldn't forget that if you're looking for
used SGI equipment lots of stuff shows up on the news groups
comp.sys.sgi.marketplace and
misc.forsale.computers.workstation.

Be well,

Michael