Subject: [Fwd: Proof Linux not just for geeks & nerds from IDG.net]

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:12:19 -0700 (PDT)

I'd say this flood of news from Oracle, Informix, Corel
and Computer Associates, is a pretty significant change
of attitude towards Linux.

----- Forwarded message from Larry McVoy -----

                                        IDG.net
                                   http://www.idg.net
                           From 200+ Web sites, quality computing
                             intelligence you need every day.

 TOP HOW-TO ADVICE, ESSENTIAL INTELLIGENCE & FUN FROM IDG.net
         Today's topic: Linux: The free OS that could
                       for Monday, July 20

LINUX SUPPORTERS RALLY AROUND FREEWARE OS
     (Source: InfoWorld Electric) Linux, the popular freeware
operating system, will be getting richer in functionality with
upcoming features to include support for Intel's 64-bit Merced
processor, a panel of Linux experts said last week.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20926

LINUX PICKING UP STEAM
     (Source: InfoWorld Electric) Computer Associates will join
companies such as Software AG, InterBase, and Informix in running
its database on the Linux operating system.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20928

LINUX MAY CHALLENGE NT, ANDREESSEN SAYS
     (Source: Computerworld) The Linux operating system will find a
broader base of support during the next several years and could
wind up being the biggest threat to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows NT
platform, says Marc Andreessen, co-founder and executive vice
president of products at Netscape Communications Corp.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20930

INFORMIX GETS SET TO EMBRACE LINUX
     (Source: InfoWorld Electric) Informix will detail a Linux
support plan for its database in an announcement at the Informix
Worldwide User Conference in Seattle this week.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20932

ORACLE TO PORT DATABASE TO LINUX AFTER ALL
     (Source: InfoWorld Electric) In a sudden turnabout, Oracle
will indeed port its Oracle8 database to the Linux operating
system. The company earlier this month said it had no such plans
but has had a change of heart based on a recent groundswell of
support for the open-source operating system.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20934

COREL GETS BEHIND LINUX
     (Source: Computerworld) Corel Corp. plans to release
WordPerfect 8 for the Linux operating system before September.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20936

FREEWARE CREATORS EYE CORPORATE USERS
     (Source: Computerworld) The creators of some of the computer
industry's most widely used software gathered in Palo Alto, Calif.,
in April for a first- of- its- kind summit on freeware
applications. They called attention to their software's wide
popularity and urged closer ties with the corporate world.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20938

SOMETHING FOR NOTHING ON THE 'NET
     (Source: Computerworld) Despite the best efforts of many
powerful commercial interests, the ability of people to get things
for free on the Internet is still gaining momentum.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20940

FORUM: LINUX READY FOR THE ENTERPRISE?
     (Source: Network World Fusion) Readers answer the question
"Would you bet your enterprise on a freeware OS?" (Free
registration required to view this site.)
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20942

LINUX LINES UP FOR THE ENTERPRISE
     (Source: SunWorld) It isn't designed for running the entire IT
department, but it is inexpensive, powerful, easy to install, and
it can run on a huge range of "obsolete" hardware. As a result,
Linux is turning up on everything from print servers to Web servers
to data collection systems.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20944

LINUS TORVALDS INTERVIEW
     (Source: InfoWorld Electric) InfoWorld Executive News Editor
Michael Vizard talked with Torvalds about the issues facing the
future development of operating systems and the economic models
that drive the industry.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20946

LINUX FOR DUMMIES
     (Source: Dummies) With Linux For Dummies by your side, you can
take charge of your computer's capabilities with confidence,
without a Ph.D. in computer science.
http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=20948

Keep current on today's top IT stories, learn about new software,
hardware, services and techniques, and search IDG's 200+ Web sites
world-wide to find the intelligence you need at http://www.idg.net/

Find what you're missing!

The editors
http://www.idg.net

IDG.net. IT all starts here.

[snip]

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:58:04 +0200

> of attitude towards Linux.

It took a while to make even the paranoid or conservative thinking
especially in the managment to recognice the Linux market.  Just one example,
back in '95 Netscape refused to support Linux officially.  Linux and
Free Software in general are just way to different from everything that
is established in the software industry.

It looks to me that many still haven't recogniced that Free Software (free
in sense of liberty) like Linux didn't come to handcuff anybody to yet
another company's products.  So there is a low risk involved in letting
Linux become as important as desired.  Well, I lied.  Linux has
demonstrated to be sticky.  Recent research says Linux is the OS with
the highest degree of user satisfaction.

On the other side free software (free in sense of no cost) has shown to
have a strong capability to intrude into existing IT structures, something
that definately makes Linux sexy for some of managment types.

  Ralf

---

From: "Ron G. Minnich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:39:11 -0400 (EDT)

Now if only we could convince darpa. They've just selected NT, as has the 
Navy. very disappointing. They don't seem to understand that they've just 
locked themselves into a technology ghetto. 

ron

Ron Minnich                |Java: an operating-system-independent, 
[email-masked]       |architecture-independent programming language
(609)-734-3120             |for Windows/95 and Windows/NT on the Pentium
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:02:04 +0100 (BST)

> locked themselves into a technology ghetto. 

The press are already having a great run on this one

	 http://www.gcn.com/gcn/1998/July13/cov2.htm 

Just don't get into any wars for a while - you might need towing home

---

From: Zach Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:34:10 -0700 (PDT)

> locked themselves into a technology ghetto. 

very disappointing indeed.  some of my os researcher buddies are losing
their darpa grants because they were doing work on linux instead of NT.

that is just so utterly pathetic I can't think where to begin doing
something about it..

-- zach

- - - - - -
007 373 5963

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:53:34 +0100 (BST)

> their darpa grants because they were doing work on linux instead of NT.

I would think Orin Hatch, CNN and /. are good beginnings

> that is just so utterly pathetic I can't think where to begin doing

Alan

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:47:29 -0400

Good morning!

We have wonderful news! linux.detroit.sgi.com is now online!

We are ready to progress to Xwindows are we are meeting a roadblock.

/usr/X11R6/bin/X is a link to Xwrapper. There is no link to an X server
in /etc/X11. On  a startx execution only results in the foloowing
messages:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
..

upon killing the process we receive:
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unexpected signal 2

waiting for X server to shut down 

[root@linux /root]# 

Obviously we are missing the actual XServer binary.
ANy chance I can get it from someone?

Thanks!
                      Eric.

-- 
---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7
Eric Kimminau                           FTA/RSA
[email-masked]                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing 
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

  "I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up..."
	
         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"

        Copyright 1998, Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
        Confidential to Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
                ** -- not for redistribution -- **

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:54:42 +0200

> We have wonderful news! linux.detroit.sgi.com is now online!

Cool.

> ANy chance I can get it from someone?

Mike for shure won't mind giving you one as soon as it's finished :-)

Since RedHat's XFree packages are made up that way we already ship
all the environment around the actual X server, just not the server
itself.  Except Xfvb, Xnest and XF68_FBcon, the later cannot be used
on the Indy's hardware.

  Ralf

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:58:00 -0400

> ANy chance I can get it from someone?

I could give you a binary, but it'd lock your Indy up when you ran it.
=/  I'm going to post in a bit with questions about the REX3, once I get
my X tree back in place on bogomips.  (Alex's installation went very
well, BTW.)

Someone might want to peek at the IRIX binary emulation stuff and see if
we can resurrect Xsgi.

Mike

-- 
35083.88 29375.20

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:13:38 -0400

> my X tree back in place on bogomips.  (Alex's installation went very

:)  Ive got someplace to install it when you have something you want to
pass out for testing.

> Someone might want to peek at the IRIX binary emulation stuff and see if

ANyone within SGI who would like an account on Linux to do development
work is welcome to it. Just send me a message with the userid/password
you want to use (and your UID if you have it).

P.S.

It appears as though we may have a problem with python as well:

[root@linux RPMS]# glint
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./glint.py", line 22, in ?
    from Tkinter import *
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 5, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python is not configured for Tk
ImportError: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6: undefined symbol:
_XcmsCIELab_prefix

and
[root@linux RPMS]# rpm -Uvh --force pythonlib-1.22-1.noarch.rpm 
package pythonlib-1.22-1 is for a different architecture
error: pythonlib-1.22-1.noarch.rpm cannot be installed

and

[root@linux RPMS]# rpm -Uvh --force tksysv-1.0-3.noarch.rpm 
package tksysv-1.0-3 is for a different architecture
error: tksysv-1.0-3.noarch.rpm cannot be installed

although I believe this last one might be intentional, is there a reason
to include it if it is unuseable?

Eric.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:26:58 +0200

> to include it if it is unuseable?

--force won't force the installation, you have to use --ignorearch if
you want to force installation of a package of the other architecture.
This is a known glitch in HH; Alex is investigating the source of the
problem.

  Ralf