Subject: benchmark........

From: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:35:27 +0800

Well, here is a benchmark using MDBNCH, a benchmark program doing floating
point calculation on molecular dynamics (one of the research fields of out lab)

SGI Indy, R4600PC 133MHz, f77 4.0.2, -mips2 -O3 -sopt ......... 73.0 s  12Feb96
SGI Indy, R4600PC 133MHz, f77 4.0.2, -mips2 -O2 ............... 77.4 s  12Feb96
SGI Indy, R4600PC 133MHz, f77 4.0.2, -mips2 -O3 ............... 80.5 s  12Feb96
SGI Indy, R4600PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 -sopt ......... 89.0 s  02Nov94
SGI Indy, R4600PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 ............... 95.2 s  02Nov94
SGI Indy, R4600PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 -non_shared .. 100.4 s  02Nov94
SGI Indy, R4600PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O3 -non_shared .. 101.7 s  02Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 -sopt ........ 102.8 s  01Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, egcs-g77, -O2 -ff77 ................ 104.3 s  19Jul98
  (hardhat kernel 2.1.100)
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 -sopt -static  109.6 s  01Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 -ddopt ....... 110.2 s  01Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 .............. 110.6 s  01Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 -non_shared .. 114.4 s  01Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O3 -non_shared .. 128.9 s  01Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O2 -static ...... 145.5 s  01Nov94
SGI Indy, R4000PC 100MHz, f77 4.0.1, -mips2 -O1 .............. 154.3 s  01Nov94

for more information about MDBNCH see http://www.sissa.it/furio/mdbnch.html

--
Francis M. J. Hsieh      | Email:   [email-masked]
Life Science Department, | Webpage: http://www.life.nthu.edu.tw/~mjhsieh/
National Tsing Hua Univ, | Voice:   +886 3 5715131 ext 3482
HsinChu, Taiwan Republic | 	    +886 3 5715649

---

From: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 00:38:32 +0800

On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 06:35:08PM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 11:35:27PM +0800, Francis M. J. Hsieh wrote:
> 
> This benchmark probably only really tests the compiler's optimization
> and the machine performance?  Anyway, the results would be somewhat
> more interesting if you'd have IRIX results at hand?

The line contain g77 is the result on linux, others are on irix.
I am sorry that I didn't point that out. :-)

---

From: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 01:25:04 +0800

On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 06:54:52PM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> Any SGI compiler results for comparison?  That stuff is Fortran and should
> probably show significant differences between both compilers.

hmmm, the comparison list result (maybe this is still not what you want
to see *sigh* )is at http://www.sissa.it/furio/Mdbnch/results.txt .
I don't known when he will update my submission :-)

It is just a small / little benchmark.........