Subject: initrd...

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 02:47:38 -0400 (EDT)

Well, the good news is that I can now convince the kernel to load an
initrd.  The bad news is that I ended up hardcoding the ramdisk into the
kernel.  Bleah. 

It wasa bit weird to have to override the error detection mechanism that
prevents you from mounting a ramdisk that is within kernel space (so that
you can't write on top of th ekernel).

Anyway, this means that in theory we should be able to get the install to
work:
- on a machine with Irix
- on a machine without Irix, but with another machine

This also opens up the possibility of things like an FTP install. 

In my mind that expands the number of installations considerably.

As I said, this is a huge hack; this is only meant for the installer.

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .