Subject: Lmbench for RH 5.1

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:17:22 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

I wanted to do benchmarks on my Indy. The versions 1.0 and 1.1 fail
when compiling lat_ctx.c with assembler messages:
Error: Branch out of range on lines 4189 and 40323. When I try to
compile it with -O2, it starts optimizing but doesn't seem to finish.

The version 2beta6 of lmbench complains about missing
linux/autoconf.h.

This is RH 5.1 Alpha 1 installer with Alpha 2 RPM's placed over the
Alpha 1 ones, with gcc from redhat-5.0 (Alex, we should put gcc
to the distribution). Do you have any idea what to do with any
of these problems? Or do you have precompiled lmbench somewhere?

Thanks,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Honza Pazdziora | [email-masked] | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:39:20 +0200

> Error: Branch out of range on lines 4189 and 40323. When I try to

This is a GAS problem, I doesn't know how to express branches beyond the
16 bit range of a branch instruction as machine instructions.  Newer
lmbench versions don't run into that GAS problem anymore.

> compile it with -O2, it starts optimizing but doesn't seem to finish.

Don't optimize lmbench, the compiler might decide to just throw parts
of lmbench away producing awsome results.  lat_ctx optimized with -O2
hits GCC on one of it's weak points, it will finish to optimize but
will need very long.

> The version 2beta6 of lmbench complains about missing

You probably ran make distclean on the kernel source tree?  Don't, best
leave the kernel source tree configured around, so just use make clean.

The question what is trying to use autoconf.h for what reason remains;
user code isn't supposed to use this file.

(Alex: the kernel source rpm should be installed configured, especially
including autoconf.h for compatibility.)

> of these problems? Or do you have precompiled lmbench somewhere?

No, because lmbench normally builds just out of the box.

(The networking code for the kernel which is going to ship with RH
has a couple of crude fixed due to lack of time, don't benchmark to
hard ...)

  Ralf

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:47:13 +0200 (MET DST)

> user code isn't supposed to use this file.

Hmm, I got the default kernel from kernel/v2.1 and just unpacked it to
get the others *.h files (linux and asm). I do not have the SGI kernel
-- it is somewhere available? Alex said he will pack the sources as
RPM with configuration but I cannot find it on linus' ftp -- is it
somewhere there?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:53:30 +0200

> RPM with configuration but I cannot find it on linus' ftp -- is it

Of course it is available, this is free software!  Snapshots from our CVS
and binaries are in /pub/test/; I think we currently only have them as
tarballs, not in rpm format.  You can also access the CVS directly by
using anonymous CVS.

  Ralf

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:06:18 +0200 (CEST)

> tarballs, not in rpm format.  You can also access the CVS directly by

The kernel source is availible in RPM format in
/pub/redhat/devel/RPMS/kernel-headers-2.1.99-0.1.mipseb.rpm
/pub/redhat/devel/RPMS/kernel-source-2.1.99-0.1.mipseb.rpm

I think kernel-headers-2.1.99-0.1.mipseb.rpm would be enough for your
needs. I have used this kernel source and it compiles fine with the gcc
cross compiler for x86.

FYI

- Ulf