Subject: SGI/Linux mirror in taiwan

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

[Just forwarding with subject change.  This bounced...
 I resubscribed Francis with his <[email-masked]> address.]

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:04:59 +0800
From: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <[email-masked]>
To: Linux <[email-masked]>
Subject: Summary of the bug.... :-)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
X-Mailer: Mutt 0.91.1

- ftp/ftpd has slowdown problem receiving big file (270M)
  reget was normal at first, slowed quickly.

  (probably the shortage problem of usable memory, may/may
   not be cured until the swapon works.)

--
Hey, Taiwanese can download your hardhet linux from
ftp://helix.life.nthu.edu.tw/pub/                  :-)

----- End of forwarded message from owner-linux@cthulhu -----

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:57:14 +0200 (MET DST)

>    not be cured until the swapon works.)

Can't this be the general problem of 2.1.99 slowing down? I've
experianced the same, IMO caused by the value of buffers very high,
not being freed, or so. The swap did not really matter because the
kernel did not touch the swap at all. It just did not have any
free memory.

You might benefit from downloading new kernel from the test directory
and run with it. It doesn't slow down anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Honza Pazdziora | [email-masked] | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:18:26 -0400 (EDT)

> and run with it. It doesn't slow down anymore.

Or if you have the Hard Hat distribution, install
kernel-2.1.100-2.mipseb.rpm.  There's a good kernel in /boot that should
work.

Also, you should be able to build your own kernel that works, although I
confess I haven't tried.

- Alex