Subject: (Fwd) Business This Week July 4th - July 10th 1998

From: [email-masked] (Richard Offer)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:31:43 -0700 (PDT)

For those who don't know the Economist, its a heavy-weight weekly newspaper
aimed at international businesses/economics/politics.

richard.

--- Forwarded mail from The Economist <[email-masked]>

                      IN THE ECONOMIST THIS WEEK

Once again, Russia is on the brink of disaster. On balance, it makes sense
to help, but the issue is far from clear-cut * Dangerous curves ahead for
the American and British economies * Despair and violence in Nigeria * The
tobacco wars light up again * The Linux operating system * Forensic
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

scientists need to become more scientific * Dr Tatiana's prize-winning
sex-advice column *

You can read these articles, and many more, in the free area of The
Economist Web Edition, at http://www.economist.com. Subscribers can also
read 60 more new articles.
---End of forwarded mail from The Economist <[email-masked]>

______________________________________________________________________

    essentials: n.
                         A jug of wine,
                         a loaf of bread,
                         my Marin, a frisbee,
                         and thou.

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 18:25:44 -0400

> tobacco wars light up again * The Linux operating system * Forensic

Heh.
Let me assure you...getting the Economist folks in touch with Linus was
no small task. =)

Mike

-- 
794110.24 679877.77

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Offer)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:18:38 -0700 (PDT)

* $ from [email-masked] at "9-Jul: 6:25pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
*
*
* Richard Offer wrote:
* > For those who don't know the Economist, its a heavy-weight weekly newspaper
* > aimed at international businesses/economics/politics.
* >
* >                       IN THE ECONOMIST THIS WEEK
* > tobacco wars light up again * The Linux operating system * Forensic
* >                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*
* Heh.
* Let me assure you...getting the Economist folks in touch with Linus was
* no small task. =)

Its a fair report, all things considered (ie, its not a geeky paper).

They have recently take an anti-MS line (a U-turn from their original view),
and Gates was asked to respond to their article. His response generated a huge
number of letters all pro open-systems.

* Mike

richard (mine didn't get published ;-( )

        "Mr Sad & Lonely" and "Oh, to have a real life" are trademarks
                  of Sad & Lonely Un-Ltd, a division of Richard's Life.