Subject: Installing Rough Hat in South Simcoe County

From: Mike Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:10:24 -0400

Finally[1] I've got my Indy connected to a Debian 2.0 pentium that has
the tarball of the dist formerly known as Hard Hat.

The kernel boots locally *and* with bootp, putting me into the installer
in either case.  According to the pc's syslog, the Indy successfully
nfsmounts the installfs directory.  After mounting /dev/sdb1 (without
checking), the installer fails with this:

	Fatal error opening RPM database (I pick "Ok")
	install exited abnormally...received signal 11

Is this a configuration problem, in which case I should continue to
pursue the perfect tftp config, or would it be simpler to finish the
process manually as others have done?

Thanks,

Mike

Footnotes: 
[1]  Recently moving to a country estate means my ISP is no longer a
local call.  I was able to download Hard Hat at the rate of about
20M/day.

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:25:04 -0400 (EDT)

Mike,

	First off, help is no longer really that far away, as I'll be
moving to Toronto this coming Sunday (near Yonge and Shepherd for the
month of Sept, then Queen's Quay and Yonge thereafter). Finally!

> 	install exited abnormally...received signal 11

Some questions to help guide us to the right solution:
- when you log the files beign accessed on the PC's NFS, do you see it
opening anything in /RedHat/base ?  Can you check and see this?
- if you'd like, I can just mail you this CD with Rough Cuts on it, thus
preventing the situation where you're missing a couple of files, etc.
You're also welcome to pick it up.

God, I should really revisit the installer and fix it.

- Alex