Subject: Merging for 2.1.116...

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 20:54:22 -0400 (EDT)

Is someone going to take to task merging our latest kernel into 2.1.116?
It would be really good to get everything in for 2.2.

I don't mind taking a stab at it, although I'm supposed to be packing for
my move to Toronto in two weeks (finally!).

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 23:34:29 +0200

> Is someone going to take to task merging our latest kernel into 2.1.116?

I exchanged some emails with Ralf, and he said, that he has started merging
with .115. I've commited the newport abscon and g364 fbcon driver, so
he could even test the merged sources:-) But I haven't heard anything since
then from him about the merge.

> It would be really good to get everything in for 2.2.

I doubt, that we will be able to merge all the stuff. But we will see.

> my move to Toronto in two weeks (finally!).

looks like moving time everywhere. I'll move most of my stuff next
weekend.

Thomas.

-- 
See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux,
you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)
                   [Linus Torvalds in <[email-masked]>]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 02:28:18 +0200

> I doubt, that we will be able to merge all the stuff. But we will see.

The code freeze has become a real freeze.  Luckily we won't have to touch
sensitive parts of the kernel except a couple of rather simple mm changes.

> looks like moving time everywhere. I'll move most of my stuff next

I've just finished merging and debugging .111.  The new console code is
nice, Thomas.  It accelerated the Indy console from Sun 3 style performance
to too fast to read performance.  Things that I noticed

 - bb is still broken when using aalib's Linux console driver
 - We seem to have an off by one error.  The topmost scanline is also being
   displayed at the bottom of the screen.
 - The display as programmed by Linux is somewhat offseted from IRIX's.  Bad
   because one has to reduce the size of the display and still the display
   will wander around when switching between operating systems.
 - I broke the esp driver.

  Ralf

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 08:44:51 +0200

> to too fast to read performance.  Things that I noticed

thanks.

>  - bb is still broken when using aalib's Linux console driver

I'll have a look at it.

>    displayed at the bottom of the screen.

upps, never noticed that. There is another known bug in the console.
If you insert a character sometimes the character gets painted twice, one
at the correct position, the other at the end of the line.

>    will wander around when switching between operating systems.

I had to do this, otherwise we lose speed. I haven't found a solution, yet.
If I find one, we can also do other console resolutions.

>  - I broke the esp driver.

how that ? I thought there were only changes, which are already in our
tree (I guess your talking about NCR53C9x).

Thomas.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 02:28:24 +0200

> at the correct position, the other at the end of the line.

Never seen that happen on my machine.  I had the problem that the two topmost
lines were wrapped to the bottom.  Changing the screen size in <asm/bootinfo.h>
to 160 x 64 fixed that.

  Ralf

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 01:22:31 +0200

> lines were wrapped to the bottom.  Changing the screen size in <asm/bootinfo.h>

cool, you are now using the resolution for which the console was written for.
Sorry, I forgot to tell you this. Without the 64 lines the scrolling stuff
doesn't work properly.

Thomas.