Subject: Re: Installing indy - help please

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 21:55:52 -0400 (EDT)

Jan,

First, ther are some problems with the installer's partitioner; to avoid
this, make your disk an 'option' disk under Irix.  This will set up one
big partition to install onto. Just skip partitioning altogether in the
installer, then.

I expect you can fix your bootp problems by debugging it by using tcpdump
or another packet sniffer on the network. However, forcing it like you are
is just fine too.

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~adevries/ .

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Jan F. Chadima wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 02:03:53 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: "Jan F. Chadima" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Installing indy - help please
> 
> Hi
> 
> I've tried to install linux on indy (hardhat 5.1), I got some problems
> 
> 1) I can't see screen 158 x 62 as is proclamated, but only 127 x 47 upper left corner
> 
> 2) I can't boot by bootp, it does nothing (return to monitor)
> 
> 3) If booted vmlinux from irix with nfsroot=... I get install, then I can select packages,
> 	format the partition, but just after that install dies with signal 11
> 
> 
> 	Can You Help me?
> 
> 				J. F. Chadima 	([email-masked])
> 
>

---

From: Oliver Frommel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:06:38 +0200 (CEST)

> big partition to install onto. Just skip partitioning altogether in the

which problems exaclty and which partition tool are you talking about exactly?
fdisk was able to create a working partition layout for me at least ..

o.