Subject: Debugging emacs

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 23:51:42 +0200

Hi,

before I'll ask a bigger audience, I ask here:

As some of you know, emacs dies, when started to open it's own
X window on Linux/MIPS. While trying to debug emacs with gdb,
I found out, that emacs kills it's own .mdebug section when it dumps
(it inserts a new .data section, which kills all references in
the .mdebug section).

Now I'm looking for a way to start a X session with temacs, which has
a working .mdebug section. I'm able to do a temacs -l loadup, which 
will give me a "normal" looking emacs. But I haven't found a way to get 
temacs to create a X session.

Any hints ?

Thomas.

-- 
See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux,
you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)
                   [Linus Torvalds in <[email-masked]>]

---

From: Olivier Galibert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:02:37 +0200

> temacs to create a X session.

You're doomed.  At least on XEmacs this hasn't worked for a while, and
I guess FSF Emacs isn't in any better shape  in that area.  Fixing the
undumping code  may  be easier.   Too bad I've   not yet been  able to
install linux on  the indy I  use or I  would probably have fixed that
myself for XEmacs.

  OG.

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 00:21:11 +0200

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 12:02:37AM +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> undumping code  may  be easier.

Thanks for the tip. It was fairly easy to fix the undumping code, because
everything was already there. It was just ifdef'd out for Linux. Now
I have a dumped emacs with working debugging information and a lot
to learn about XtCreateWidget().

Thomas.