Subject: Installed Hardhat alpha 2!

From: Alexander Ehlert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 01:13:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I managed to install Hardhat on my Indy. It's working fine. Due to
problems with the installer I simply installed by hand. Now I have to
explore the realms of sgi-linux. I'm really impressed :)

Good work, guys!

**********************************************************
* Alexander Ehlert                                       *
* Anatomisches Institut Uni Tuebingen                    *
*                       - Arbeitsgruppe Prof. Dr. Wagner *
* Systemadministrator, Webmaster                         *
* E-Mail : [email-masked]                 *
* Tel.   : 07071-2973022                                 *
**********************************************************

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:22:42 -0400 (EDT)

> explore the realms of sgi-linux. I'm really impressed :)

Can you let us know what the problems with the installer were, and how you
got around them?

- Alex

---

From: Alexander Ehlert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 01:59:11 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> Can you let us know what the problems with the installer were, and how you

At first I got the hardhat-5.1 alpha1 archive. Booting with tftp was no
problem. After the package selection the installer was not able to
open the rpm database. The programm received a signal 11 and terminated.
The kernel output was not helpful. So I initialized the rpm database
in the nfsroot environment and the next time the installer started
extracting the packages. But a lot of packages failed with "execution of
script failed". The kernel reported excepions from ldconfig and afterwards
every program I wanted to start on the second tty terminated with
segmentation fault. I found no way to get around that. Then I got
the testinstall-tree from the devel directory and the packages from
redhat5.1alpha2. After that I installed a few packages in this tree
like fileutils, mount and so on. During the manual install I experienced
that after the installation of the bash and the glibc package in the
installation directory all installation scripts worked fine. I think
the installer should at first install this packages in the install
directory, because rpm chroots to this dir. In the meantime I have
a lot of packages installed, but without the use of installer.
So I still lack some important packages, but it's going on...

A few questions:
  - can I use the mouse with gpm, which device ?
  - which one is the newest kernel version, and where can I get it ?
  - I installed egcs, should I better use gcc ?
  - does the XFree86-FB work, where can I get developer versions ?
  
Alex.