Subject: Re: boot problem for Indy

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:16:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Arnaud Le Neel wrote:
> >> boot -f bootp()linux.cyceron.fr:vmlinux
> Setting $netaddr to 192.93.44.35 (for server server.cyceron.fr)
> Obtaining vmlinux from server.cyceron.fr
> Cannot reload bootp()server.cyceron.fr:vmlinux
> Illegal f_magik number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC
> Unable to load bootp()server.cyceron.fr:vmlinux: execute format error
> PS: Here is the description of the Indy i want to boot Linux:
> 	IP22 100MHz R4000 with FPU

Hm.  Sounds to me like a processor thing.  Could that be, Ralf?  I'm not
sure I've seen anyone try on an R4000 before, and if so, wha the
implications of are for its cache.

Either that, or somehow there's a bootloader issue.  I expect the MIPSEB
or MIPSEL Magic is part of the (ecoff?) header; perhaps the image you're
booting from or your version of ARC is somehow incorrect. Ralf?

- Alex

---

From: Arnaud Le Neel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:04:42 +0100

Hi,

I'm quite newbie on SGI/Linux, even if i know Linux and Unix. I'm
trying to boot with HardHat 5.1 (Manhattan) on an Indy (see below)

Did anyone ever seen this message, and what is the solution, if there
is one ?

Thanks for your help
arno

	Memory size 48 Mb

-- 
       Arnaud Le Néel			Cyceron PET Research Center
Systems and Network administrator	  Bd Becquerel - BP 5229
mailto:[email-masked]	   F-14074 Caen - CEDEX
       	ICQ #8852927			Tel :	(+33) (0)231 470 203
  http://www.cyceron.fr/~arno		Fax :	(+33) (0)231 470 222

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:42:15 +0200

> implications of are for its cache.

I remember I tried to boot something like 2.1.7* on our older indy
with R4000 and the message was very much like this. Shall I retry?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Honza Pazdziora | [email-masked] | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:55:29 -0700

> with R4000 and the message was very much like this. Shall I retry?

      The PROM on older Indy systems, especially those with R4000
processors, may only support MIPS ECOFF binaries.  Are you booting an
ELF or an ECOFF kernel binary?  If you have an ELF kernel binary, and
it cannot be converted to ECOFF, you may need a two-level loading scheme.
Note that you could try loading sash from the local disk, and then
have sash boot vmlinux via bootp(), since sash does know about 
ELF binaries.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 01:20:25 +0200

> have sash boot vmlinux via bootp(), since sash does know about 

For Indys we currently only build ELF kernels.  I've implemented a clean
solution how to boot ECOFF systems because I needed that for the RC3230,
I'll publish it when it's debugged.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 01:25:04 +0200

> implications of are for its cache.

No, _this_ is not a processor thing.  However some 100MHz R4000 have a
processor bug (the count/compare thing) which we don't handle yet.  The
bug shouldn't be lethal it might just result in temporary lockup of the
machine for about 86s during which no more timer interrupt are being
delivered.  The fix is known; it just needs to be implemented.

  Ralf