Subject: Re: R5000 Unused memory (was: R4000SC...)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 05:57:31 +0100

On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 07:44:42PM -0500, Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:

> Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> > 	Yes and no. Personally I find the concept of running a modern system
> > without available swap somewhat perilous.
> 
> What about if you don't have any disk nor any rw filesystems?  Not unusual
> in imbedded applications.  The only way to get around it now apparently is
> to set up a ram disk and swap to that -- hardly effecient or useful
> (except in the case where some RAM is slower).
> 
> A typical UNIX workstation or server should always have swap -- there are
> always some gettys or something that might as well be swapped out to make
> room for more disk cache.  There are applications, however, where swap
> is just not an option.

Linux cannot swap to NFS, so that behaviour in absence is pretty much a
showstopper for diskless apps.

  Ralf