Subject: R4600PC upgrade

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:01:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I received a R4600PC today (thanks Lukas), and I happily went to my Indy
and plugged it in instead of my R4000SC. It failed on the diagnostics test
though. 

Exception: <vector=Normal>
Status register: 0x30004803<CU1,CU0,IM7,IM4,IPL=???,MODE=KERNEL,EXL,IE>
Cause register: 0x4000<CE=0,IP7,EXC=INT>
Exception PC: 0xbfc0b598
Interrupt exception
CPU Parity Error Interrupt
Local I/O interrupt register 1: 0x80 <VR/GIO2>
CPU parity error register: 0x80b<B0,B1,B3,SYSAD_PAR>
CPU parity error: address: 0x1fc0b598
NESTED EXCEPTION #1 at EPC: 9fc3df00; first exception at PC: bfc0b598

I don't have a clue at the moment.

- Ulf

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:21:49 +0200 (CEST)

Two major types of data errors can occur in data transmission:

	* hard errors, which are permanent, arise from broken
	  interconnects, internal shorts, or open leads.

	* soft errors, which are transient, are caused by system noise,
	  power surges, and alpha particles.

Hard errors must be corrected by physical repair of the damaged
equipment and restoration of data from backup. Soft errors can be
corrected by using error checking and correcting codes

--

Oups... sounds really bad.

- Ulf

---

From: Leon Verrall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:33:41 +0100 (BST)

> NESTED EXCEPTION #1 at EPC: 9fc3df00; first exception at PC: bfc0b598

We have an Indy in the lab that does this occasionally. It's a bit old and
crappy. On that machine it's a problem with the processor seating or
connections. Often happens after a power cycle.

The cure is usually, take the top off the Indy and give the processor board
a good push down and generally push everything else around it home...

Leon

-- 
Leon Verrall - 01189 257734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.
Silicon Graphics, Forum 1,   \ And answer a call while you still care at all
Station Rd., Theale, RG7 4RA / 'cos nobody will if you wont" (6:00 - DT)

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:50:09 +0200 (CEST)

> a good push down and generally push everything else around it home...

I gave it some _really_ good pushes, didn't work at all. Yes, my Indy is
old (and certainly very crappy). I have never got that error with the
R4000SC (I've also switched processors back after testing the R4600PC, and
the R4000SC still works). Do you think this fault can be caused by damage
from static electricity?

I'm really disappointed with myself, life, and everything if I vaporized
this processor and this great chance to run Linux.

- Ulf

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:15:03 -0700

> and plugged it in instead of my R4000SC. It failed on the diagnostics test
...
     If your machine is an early R4000SC machine, you may well need a new
PROM to go with the newer processor.  The final PROM, supplied with all
R5000 systems, works with all processors, but a given older PROM generally
does not work with newer processors.  The error message looks like the
result of using an obsolete PROM.

---

From: Jeremy John Welling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 19:17:16 -0400 (EDT)

I agree.  I got a message almost exactly like this when I went from 4400
to 5000.  I have still have my 4400 prom if you need it.  Just let me know
where to send it.

Jeremy Welling