Subject: Re: MIPS R3230?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:58:58 +0100

On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 10:44:40PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <[email-masked]> Eric Jorgensen writes:
> : 	Scratch that. I have a 2030 and a 3240. But I don't use either of them.
> : I'd love to use the 3240 tho. 
> 
> I see...
> 
> : 	On the other hand, I don't have a complete distribution of RISCos on
> : either of them. They both mounted most of the /usr tree (or whatever it
> : is on riscos) via NFS, some machine they can't talk to anymore. 
> 
> Hmmm.  That's too bad.  I'd dup the two QIC-150 tapes that I have, but
> I don't want to violate anybody's IP.

All Mips Computer Systems, Inc machines were sold including the license
for the OS, duplicating the tapes should be ok.

I cc this to [email-masked], maybe one of them wants to comment.  Also,
it's in general a good idea because on that list are engineers that were
working on these machines.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:03:06 +0100

On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 10:48:10PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

> I do have one specific question that doesn't appear to be in the
> hardware reference.  Can someone help me on where to find the entry
> points to the MIPS ROM/firmware?  I've not been able to find a vector
> table or anything like that in my hunting trought the hardware
> reference manual.

Checkout the arch/mips/mips/ directory in the CVS.  Long time ago there
were files in that directory which were generating PROM stubs, all
based on information from /usr/include/ of RISC/os 5.00.  Since nothing
was using these stubs for a long time I deleted them, you'll have to
rescue them from Attic/.

  Ralf

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 16:59:52 -0800

> > In message <[email-masked]> Eric Jorgensen writes:
...
 > for the OS, duplicating the tapes should be ok.

       Yes, the MIPS systems were sold with an OS license (for use on that
machine).  The license includes UNIX and NFS licenses.

       I believe that the 3230 and 3240 used QIC-150, but I think some
M/120 systems had only QIC-120.  (The QIC-150 reads both kinds of cartridge,
but the QIC-120 of course cannot read the QIC-150 tape.)