Subject: SGI joins linux international

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:04:13 -0800 (PST)

[forwarding good news]

An official announcement that SGI has joined Linux International
appears at http://miranda.li.org/news/sgi/index.shtml

Thanks to Dave McAllister for making this happen!

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:42:45 -0500 (EST)

This is obvioulsy very good news; would it be possible for SGI to comment
on exactly how they can support us further?

SGI's done a great deal to help us this far, I'm really looking forward t
odoing more SGI/Linux stuff.  I see the biggest area where we need help in
getting more hardware supported.  That requires getting documentation.  I
think it would be great if SGI could allocate someone's time to find said
documentation.

-- 
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
I know exactly what I want in life.

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 16:40:03 -0500

> think it would be great if SGI could allocate someone's time to find said

I would love to have something to do with this process. If someone knows
who I should talk to about a job, let me know.

Eric.

-- 
---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7
Eric Kimminau                           Field Technical Support
[email-masked]                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903
VNet:  6-327-4455                 	248-848-4400
                 "I speak my mind and no one else's."
 "I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up..."
                      http://support.sgi.com

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:59:06 -0800

> think it would be great if SGI could allocate someone's time to find said

       I am working on getting authorization to release more documentation,
as well as fragments of hardware management software and, if possible,
downloadable graphics firmware for those cards which require firmware.
I have agreement in principle, but I need to get agreement on the complete
list of items to be released.

---

From: "Eric L. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 16:30:01 -0600

> list of items to be released.

Does the "list of items" include the VPC video hardware? It would be
great to see SGI support Linux as an alternative OS for the VPC.

--
Eric L. Anderson
[email-masked]

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:33:03 -0800

> great to see SGI support Linux as an alternative OS for the VPC.

      I don't think I can comment on the VPC right now.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ken Klingman)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 19:16:20 -0800 (PST)

>       I don't think I can comment on the VPC right now.

We are working on incorporating support for the new workstation
products into the standard LInux distributions.  However, there
are issues with both graphics and digital media that make it
difficult to release details about the hardware implementation
and interfaces.

Ken Klingman

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 06:36:36 +0100

>       I don't think I can comment on the VPC right now.

Too bad, we might have used a ton of them running Linux for the Clown
project, see www.ccnacht.de and slashdot.org.  Friends of Realvideo and
raytraced anymations will get on their cost :-)

For those who still don't know, this night Linux made more Linux history.
We've assembled a cluster of 530 Linux nodes in less than 24h plus additional
administration and server machines.  A large fraction of the machines was
loaned by volunteers.  Problems solved by the cluster include computing
animations, scientific and mathematical problems that were taking advantage
of the large available memory space, computational power and fail safe
features - we're continuing to compute while we're already disassembling parts
of the cluster.  The most important benchmark ran was Linpack which was only
run on the 50 666MHz 21164 Alphas which at this time is still running since
the rest of the cluster was busy with other jobs.  Results will be filed for
an entry in the top 500 list.

The price for the sickest idea to use the cluster goes to the cluster version
of a MIDI player using the PCspeaker which right now is playing random sounds
on all Intel machines ...

  Ralf