Subject: Are we going to port RH 5.2?

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 20:13:47 +0100

Hello,

I just thought: are we going to port RH 5.2 to SGI? If I understood
Alex well, one of the things that were needed with RH 5.1 was to
recompile all the packages. I could leave my Indy booted to Linux over
holidays and do the compilation if it has some sense. I probably
won't be able to fix serious bugs or develop the installer, but I
should be able to recompile the rpms.

I understand that to build the whole distribution, there needs to be
a person that coordinates the effort. I do not feel like being that
person but if I can help, I'm ready to start.

Yours,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Honza Pazdziora | [email-masked] | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
		Boycott the Czech Telecom -- www.bojkot.cz
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:22:23 +0000 (GMT)

> I just thought: are we going to port RH 5.2 to SGI? If I understood

I've done some of it.

> should be able to recompile the rpms.

Most of the stuff I've done so far is straight forward rebuilding. Ive
been producing packages as I get time to kick the indy off and test them

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 13:57:17 +0100

> 
> What was your secret to getting SGI/Linux on your Indy?

It was quite straightforward.

> I've been trying to do it for several days but with no luck.  The online
> instructions give directions for using another IA32 linux box which I've
> tried adapting to use my second Indy running 6.5.  I'm sure that's where
> the problem is but don't know the "secret incantation" to make it work.
> 
> Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

OK, start with telling us what steps from the installation
instructions (I assume you are going by
http://www.linux.sgi.com/manhattan/) you did, how you did them and
where did the results start to differ from what you expected.

For debugging during the initiation phase, I recommend to have tcpdump
at hand so that you can check if the packets are running the way they
should.

[CC'ed back to [email-masked], so that the others could
comment as well.]

---

From: Honza Pazdziora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 14:43:11 +0100

> been producing packages as I get time to kick the indy off and test them

OK, shall we create ftp://www.linux.sgi.com/pub/redhat/redhat-5.2 and
start putting recompiled "updates" there?