Subject: crosscompiling for r5k.

From: Richard Hartensveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 07:40:54 -0800

Hi,

I'm having problems crosscompiling a kernel for my challenge s (180mhz
R5000).

I had this problem before but lost the solution during a harddisk
crash.

Is it normal that when you configure for a r5k, gcc uses the
'-mcpu=r8000' option?.
When i compile, i get a kernel, only it won't boot.

i am compiling on i386.

Some of you have come up with a fix the last time, only i haven't got it
anymore, anyone that
could help ?

Richard

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 05:50:57 +0100

> Is it normal that when you configure for a r5k, gcc uses the

Doesn't matter.  GCC 2.7.2 only knew about TFP but not R5k.  I choose to
pass -mcpu=r8000 because for the one optimization where it matters the R8000
was the best match for the R5000.  Things would be different if we'd use
floating point, but we don't.

> Some of you have come up with a fix the last time, only i haven't got it

Did you get trapped by the -N option bug in ld?  Just dump that option from
CFLAGS in arch/mips/Makefile.

  Ralf