Subject: console on serial

From: Richard Hartensveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:24:34 -0800

Hi,

Is it possible to get a console on the serial port with the hardhat
package ?.

I'm trying to get linux installed on a challenge S, which has no video
board, all goes pretty
well until i get into userland and the kernel wants to open
/dev/console, which i would
like to be a terminal on the serial port, is this possible?

Regards,

Richard Hartensveld

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:24:56 -0500

> like to be a terminal on the serial port, is this possible?

Yeah, that's how I boot my Indy when I need to capture early-on kernel
dumps.
Make sure that /dev/console is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0.

I assume the prom is set correctly, because you're getting this far.

Mike

-- 
24926.91 21925.54

---

From: Richard Hartensveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:40:33 -0800

> Make sure that /dev/console is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0.

I made a ttyS0 on the nfs-root filesystem and linked /dev/console to it, i
no longer get the
message 'can't open console' but no message at all :). i made the ttyS0
device using mknod ttyS0 c 4 64.

I seem to be forgetting something, anyone who can fill me in here ?

Richard