Subject: [Fwd: Linux on HP & SGI - FYI]

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:46:39 -0500

FYI
-- 
---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7
Eric Kimminau        [email-masked]      Field Technical Support
       SGI 39001 W. 12 Mile Rd.  Farmington, MI 48331-2903
      Vox:(248)848-4455  Fax:(248)848-5600  VNET:6-327-4455  

              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
 "I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up..."
                    http://support.sgi.com

Subject: Linux on HP & SGI - FYI
From: Scott Richardson <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:20:04 -0800

http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2558217910-d0b

04:16 AM ET 01/27/99

Linux gets boost from H-P and SGI - WSJ

   NEW YORK, Jan 27 (Reuters) - Two major computer makers,
Hewlett-Packard Co.  and Silicon Graphics Inc. ,
are to support the free software product Linux operating system
got a boost from, the Wall Street Journal said Wednesday.
    The companies said they will begin providing Linux as an
option on some of their computers built with chips from Intel
Corp. , the Journal reported. H-P also said it will
create a version of Linux to run on its "Merced" chip, which it
is jointly developing with Intel.
    In addition, H-P and SGI said they will make Linux one of
their core operating-system offerings, the paper said.
    Linux was created by Linus Torvalds, a 29-year old,
Finnish-born programmer now working in Silicon Valley. He wrote
the first version of Linux in 1991 and distributed it for free
on the Internet.
    H-P is offering Linux on its Intel-based "server" computers
through an arrangement with Red Hat Software Inc., which is
trying to commercialize the language, the paper said. SGI told
the Journal it will provide support for Linux itself.
    Microsoft Corp.  is watching Linux with concern
because of the threat it poses to its Windows NT software.
     The paper said Linux is somewhat taxing for non-technical
users.  However, programmers are working on friendlier versions
of the language that have a Window-like interface.
    ((--New York Newsdesk (212) 859-1700))

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:59:51 +0100

There is more press today on www.news.com.

So when will we do Linux/Cray ;-)

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:13:24 -0500 (EST)

> So when will we do Linux/Cray ;-)

Ariel,

Could you kindly fedex me a Cray so I can start churning out rpms?  I'm
sure if you sent one to Ralf he'd finish the kernel. 

Thanks!

- Alex

---

From: [email-masked] (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:59:05 -0800 (PST)

:
:
:On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 [email-masked] wrote:
:> So when will we do Linux/Cray ;-)
:
:Ariel,
:
:Could you kindly fedex me a Cray so I can start churning out rpms?  I'm
:sure if you sent one to Ralf he'd finish the kernel. 
:
:Thanks!
:
:- Alex
:
:

Sure, no problem,

What was that snail mail address again :-)

-- 
Peace, Ariel

---

From: Eric Kimminau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:45:19 -0500

> What was that snail mail address again :-)

Be sure to get that 13k volt power supply and water cooling tower installed
ASAP. 

*<[|^}

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:52:58 +0000 (GMT)

> Be sure to get that 13k volt power supply and water cooling tower installed

I thought the Cray ELC could run single processor off a conventional wall
socket ?