Subject: Problems modularizing newport graphics.

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:04:52 -0500 (EST)

Alright.  I know this sounds a bit weird, but I'm trying to modularize
graphics.o.  Why? So we can debug newport graphics properly.

Just so people know where things are at; the drawbars in the XFree tree in
CVS doesn't do a thing; there's an issue with the ioctl handling in
drivers/sgi/char/graphics.c .

So, to avoid having to reboot every 5 minutes I'm trying to make graphics
loadable and unloadable.  This'd be good for all of you who have no
graphics.  Same with keyboard support, but that's another story.

So, the kernel now builds without graphics.o.  Not terribly difficult.

But when I try to insert the module:

[root@black char]# /sbin/insmod  /lib/modules/2.1.131/misc/graphics.o 
/lib/modules/2.1.131/misc/graphics.o: couldn't find the kernel version the
module was compiled for

I know this kernel was built for this kernel.  Using -f doesn't help.

I notice all the modules have a symbol in their nm output called
__module_kernel_version.  graphics.o does not.  How does this get added?

Please?

I'm tempted to commit my code because graphics.c wasn't working anyway.

- Alex

-- 
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
I know exactly what I want in life.

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:14:21 -0500 (EST)

> I know this kernel was built for this kernel.  Using -f doesn't help.

Oh, never mind.  I'm just being stupid and forgot #include
<linux/module.h> because of an editing mistake.

Just ignore me and go back to doing what you were doing.

- Alex

---

From: Tomi Leppikangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:51:15 +0200 (EET)

> drivers/sgi/char/graphics.c .

Hey this sounds good, i thougt that nothing is hapening for X. Is there
anyone else doing something for getting x-server running on sgi-linux?
Is there any other info available than whats on ftp.linux.sgi.com?

-- 
##        [email-masked]         ##
##  http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tomilepp/  ##