Subject: compiling kernel

From: Matthias Kleinschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:31:14 -0500

Hi,

I try to compile my own kernel for my Indy.
I got the sources from cvs yesterday and made 

 make config
 make dep
 make clean
 make vmlinux

It compiles fine but it will not boot. I get the following message:

>> boot vmlinux                                                                                                                       
115360+19600+3136+334528+42744d+4248+6368 entry: 0x89fa8840                                                                           
                                                                                                                                      
Exception: <vector=UTLB Miss>                                                                                                         
Status register: 0x30004803<CU1,CU0,IM7,IM4,IPL=???,MODE=KERNEL,EXL,IE>                                                               
Cause register: 0x8008<CE=0,IP8,EXC=RMISS>                                                                                            
Exception PC: 0x8810fa1c, Exception RA: 0x8800260c                                                                                    
exception, bad address: 0x7                                                                                                           
Local I/O interrupt register 1: 0x80 <VR/GIO2>                                                                                        
  Saved user regs in hex (&gpda 0xa8740e48, &_regs 0xa8741048):                                                                       
  arg: 7 89fff938 89fffc40 880025dc                                                                                                   
  tmp: 8816010c 8816010c 10 881189c8 14 89fad9e0 0 48                                                                                 
  sve: 89fdf3e8 89fffc40 89fb2720 89fff938 a8747420 9fc56394 0 9fc56394                                                               
  t8 48 t9 89fffe54 at 1 v0 0 v1 89fff890 k1 bad11bad                                                                                 
  gp 881bc4a0 fp 9fc4be88 sp 89fff890 ra 8800260c                                                                                     
                                                                                                                                      
PANIC: Unexpected exception                                                                                                           

I used the Indy running Linux 2.1.121 from ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test
and egcs-1.0.2 from hardhat and also my i586 with the crosscompiler
from ftp.linux.sgi.com with the same results.
The vmlinux-indy-2.1.121.tar.gz boots fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards
 Matthias

-- 
Matthias Kleinschmidt
Cedar Dell 568B, Box 5398
UMass Dartmouth
285 Old Westport Rd.
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
email: [email-masked]

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:59:01 -0500 (EST)

> Exception: <vector=UTLB Miss>                                                                                                         

This is usually because you didn't remove the "-N" in arch/mips/Makefile
or similiar. It's in the FAQ, but I keep forgetting that myself.

My problem is when I build the kernel, I get nothing at all.  I get the
first line, something like:

then a blank line, then a total hang, mouse and keybaord included.

- Alex

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:12:52 -0500

> or similiar. It's in the FAQ, but I keep forgetting that myself.

So can we detect the bad versions of binutils and automatically set the
LDFLAGS correctly?  I'm tired of forgetting. =)

Mike

-- 
89428.19 72624.98

---

From: Matthias Kleinschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 01:32:57 -0500

Hi,

> or similiar. It's in the FAQ, but I keep forgetting that myself.

Thank you. That helped. I read about this a few weeks ago but since I was
far away from compiling a kernel back then I did not remember it.

> then a blank line, then a total hang, mouse and keybaord included.

Looks like the console output is going to a serial line. Can you connect
over the network.
I do not have a keyboard, mouse and monitor. I get the console output to
the serial line.
Right now I get the output to my terminal but I can't get a login prompt.
However I can connect over the network.

Regards
 Matthias