Subject: serial console cable specs

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:17:37 -0500

I have a DIN<->DB9 adaptor and a DB9 cable, but Something Isn't Right.

I have it set to 9600 N81, and I set console to d2, and I can see the
system menu when the machine boots.  But I can't type anything at it. 
This is making it quite difficult to do anything with my machine, so I'm
going to go get another cable.

What does this cable need to be?  Do I need a NULL-modem thing?  How can
I be 100% sure that a cable I purchase will let my Indy experience the
joys or serial consoling?

And, in the meantime, how can I force my Indy back to console=g?

Mike

-- 
163795.99 137038.05

---

From: Matthias Kleinschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:51:29 -0500

Hi,

> joys or serial consoling?

take a lool at :

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_bin/hdwr/bin/nph-dynaweb.cgi/
       dynaweb/SGI_EndUser/Indy_OwnerGd/@Generic__BookTextView/9520

Matthias

-- 
Matthias Kleinschmidt
Cedar Dell 568B, Box 5398
UMass Dartmouth
285 Old Westport Rd.
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
Tel.:  +1 508 910 6851
email: [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Mende Pie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:54:34 -0800 (PST)

The irix man page serial(7) has pinouts for all of the SGI serial ports.
You can view this man page at:
	http://reality.sgi.com/cgi-bin/uman?p=serial&s=7

                    /Bob...                    mailto:[email-masked]
              http://reality.sgi.com/mende            KF6EID

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:59:46 -0500 (EST)

> And, in the meantime, how can I force my Indy back to console=g?

Can't you just telnet in?

<Alex runs away quickly>

- Alex

---

From: Richard Hartensveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:04:54 -0800

> joys or serial consoling?

man serial under irix will give you the pinouts.

> And, in the meantime, how can I force my Indy back to console=g?

also under irix, you can use the program nvram and do:

nvram console g

or set the environment from within the bootprom.

Richard

---

From: Alistair Lambie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:43:05 +1300

> going to go get another cable.

I have found some terminals (assuming that is what you are using) that
require either DSR or CTS before they will transmit anything even with
flow control off.

Cheers, Alistair

-- 
Alistair Lambie                                [email-masked]
SGI Global Product Support            SGI Voicemail/VNET: 234-1455
Level 5, Cigna House,                                M/S: INZ-3780
PO Box 24 093,                                  Ph: +64-4-494 6325
40 Mercer St, Wellington,                      Fax: +64-4-494 6321
New Zealand                                 Mobile: +64-21-635 262

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:35:56 -0500

> or set the environment from within the bootprom.

No, you see, my problem is that I can't type at the boot prom (busted
cable) or boot the system (autoboot is off, which is usually a feature).

Mike

-- 
180790.79 150203.05