Subject: 2.2.1 MIPS kernel sources plus Indy kernel binaries uploaded

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 00:16:17 +0100

After syncing my two source trees with CVS, I've exported a tarball
and uploaded it to

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/linux-2.2.1-990226.tar.gz

I've tested compilation for Indy and Olivetti M700 (MIPS Magnum).

I also uploaded a Indy kernel (map and .config file included):

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990226.tar.gz

Thomas.

-- 
   This device has completely bogus header. Compaq scores again :-|
It's a host bridge, but it should be called ghost bridge instead ;^)
                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:30:50 -0500

> ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/linux-2.2.1-990226.tar.gz
I've tried compiling this on a base hardhat installation and here's the 
resuults so far.. (no, haven't gotten a kernel out of it yet)

First, there's no modutils.  I grabbed modutils2.1.121 and that compiled and 
installed fine.
Next, it almost immediately blew up on a lack of a current structure.
I found that /usr/include/asm/current.h had a conditional defining of the 
struct if C_language was defines, and something else if ASMing.  I just took 
out the conditional(don't know if it's the right thing, but compiling went 
alot further)
Lastly(and most messily) it got to arch mips and tried some ASMing.
Here's a short piece of that:
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic -mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -pipe -c indyIRQ.S -o indyIRQ.o
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h: Assembler messages:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: unrecognized opcode `extern'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: Bad expression
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: Missing ')' assumed
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: Rest of line ignored. First ignored character is `i'.
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: unrecognized opcode `__asm__'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: unrecognized opcode `__res'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: Rest of line ignored. First ignored character is `}'.
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: unrecognized opcode `res'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/mipsregs.h:177: Error: unrecognized opcode `res'

How has everyone else faired in the compiling game?  :)

Greg

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:01:44 +0100

> How has everyone else faired in the compiling game?  :)

it worked out of the box, but not on an out of the box HardHat:-(

HardHat has still gcc-2.7.2 as the default C compiler and this
compiler has different defines. So either use egcs or update your
gcc specs file (sorry, I couldn't find the patch right now, anyone ?)

Thomas.

---

From: "Michael Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:16:59 -0500

On Feb 27, 12:01pm, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Subject: Re: 2.2.1 MIPS kernel sources plus Indy kernel binaries uploaded

Works here out of the box using hardhat egcs.

Still have the aforementioned video quirks.  Any further developments regarding
Newport revisions?

Mike