Subject: Memory corruption on Indy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 00:27:46 +0100

Hi all,

since quite some time I've tried to find a memory corruption bug on my Indy.
I now suspect that the actual cause is a hardware problem and a recent
IRIX kernel core dump supports that theory.  Just to be on the safe side,
could people running Linux on Indys please run something like

  find / -fstype ext2 -type f | xargs md5sym

several times and compare the obtained output.  Do they differ in any
unexplainable way?

Thanks,

  Ralf

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 01:32:10 +0100

> several times and compare the obtained output.  Do they differ in any

do you want, that everybody crash their Indys ? 

Everybody, who wants to run the find, should umount /proc before doing it.
Otherwise the kernel will crash, when the md5sum /proc/kcore happens.

Thomas.

-- 
   This device has completely bogus header. Compaq scores again :-|
It's a host bridge, but it should be called ghost bridge instead ;^)
                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 02:05:11 +0100

> Otherwise the kernel will crash, when the md5sum /proc/kcore happens.

That's what the -fstype ext2 is supposed to take care of :-)

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:27:23 +0100

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 08:43:34PM -0600, Russell E Glaue wrote:

> Does anyone have a running Linux system on the Deststation Tyne  R4600
> MIPS/133MHz machine?

No, since my Tyne died in late '94 we don't support this machine anymore.
It'll take a kernel hacker to bring it back to live.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:53:00 +0100

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 11:22:16PM -0600, Russell E Glaue wrote:

> Okay, I know that the R4600 (Deskstation Tyne) is supported in the Linux
> Kernel.  I saw it in there while browsing around the MIPS ported code of
> the latest Linux kernel.  I also know that Linux was once successfully
> compiled for this processor in the 2.0.2x series.
> 
> Does anyone know if I will be able to successfully cross-compile a working
> Linux kernel for the MIPS R4600 processor with the latest Linux source
> code? I understand that support is not kept up, but is the existing code
> still in a compilable state?

The R4600 is supported, just not the Tyne machine which the processor is
in ...

Hackers wanted.

  Ralf

---

From: Warner Losh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:45:01 -0700

In message <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
: The R4600 is supported, just not the Tyne machine which the processor is
: in ...
: 
: Hackers wanted.

If someone were to ship me a Tyne, I'd fix the support for it in
Linux.  And fix the rPC44 while I was at it. :-)

Warner