Subject: MIPS egcs bug, was: working modutils for DECStation Linux ??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 06:12:20 +0100

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 03:36:40PM +0100, Karel van Houten wrote:

> The '#ident' line makes the array initialisation incorrect. After removing
> this line, depmod compiles and works correctly.

Thanks for tracking this down.

> EGCS guru's, any hints?

Adding this to egcs-1.0.2/gcc/config/mips/linux.h at the bottom should
fix things:

/* Attach a special .ident directive to the end of the file to identify
   the version of GCC which compiled this code.  The format of the
   .ident string is patterned after the ones produced by native svr4
   C compilers.  */

#undef IDENT_ASM_OP
#define IDENT_ASM_OP ".ident"

/* Output #ident as a .ident.  */

#undef ASM_OUTPUT_IDENT
#define ASM_OUTPUT_IDENT(FILE, NAME) \
  fprintf (FILE, "\t%s\t\"%s\"\n", IDENT_ASM_OP, NAME);

I'll test this and make a real patch later.  Until that -fno-ident is the
silver bullet to avoid such sick effects.

IRIX people: I think the same bug also hits IRIX, RISC/os and others,
it's probably as long in gcc / egcs as I can think back.  At least for some
of the affected targets the above fix can not be used.

  Ralf