Subject: efs fs module

From: Chad Streck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 05:29:53 -0600

I tried this questions to some people, but I was suggested to post here.

I would like do a clean install of IRIX on an Indy, but the Indy does
not have a CDROM.  I have a linux box, running RedHat 5.1, with a CDROM
located on the same network and was wondering if there is a way to mount
the install CDs on the linux box so that the Indy can read it.  What
I've read is that there is a read-only efs module floating around, but I
can not find anywhere to download it.  The only other reference was
efsmod 0.6, but it said that it is not usable on 2.1.x kernels of
linux.  Any help would be appreciated.

After a re-install of IRIX is completed, I could help by doing a linux
load on it, but I'm a newbie to the SGI/IRIX world, and may need a
little help.

thankyou,
chad

---

From: Mike Shaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 09:39:29 -0500

> I tried this questions to some people, but I was suggested to post here.

I think I was one of those people; sorry for not responding earlier. 
(Insert generic whiny excuse about travelling and mail backlog and
stuff.)

The state of the EFS code in the linus CVS tree is this:
- prior to the most recent kernel merge (to 2.1.131), the code in fs/efs
was able to mount and read EFS partitions, provided that they did not
involve indirect extents.  Symlinks and stuff all worked, although
building as a module did not.
- once I merged to 2.1.131 (and then checked in the EFS code), I started
to see very odd behaviour; specifically, the inode-mode checks for
directory/file/socket/etc. were failing in ``impossible'' ways.  I can
post more about that later, but if you've got an EFS partition handy,
just build with -DDEBUG_EFS and try to mount it.  You'll see the error
message in question.  On the bright side, module-loading works well.
- I have efslook code here as well, and was in the process of comparing
its indirect-extent algorithm to my own when I did the 2.1.131 merge of
my code, so maybe once I get past that inode-mode problem I can finish
it up?  Oh, to dream.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Mike

-- 
243311.90 206264.81

---

From: Chad Carlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:02:08 -0600

Chad,

Can't make any gurantees but..... Do you have any SCSI cdrom drives laying
around? They don't all work, but some do. That would be the easiest fix, if
it works. If you need any help with the IRIX load, I can help you off line.
Besides, us Chads need to stick together.

Regards,
Chad

--
           -----------------------------------------------------
            Chad Carlin                          Special Systems
            Silicon Graphics Inc.                   972.205.5911
            Pager 888.754.1597          VMail 800.414.7994 X5344
            [email-masked]             http://reality.sgi.com/chad
           -----------------------------------------------------
        "flying through hyper space ain't like dusting crops, boy"