Subject: Help needed to solve SCSI problem

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 00:23:21 +0100

I'm now total stuck with the remaining SCSI problem, and need some help.

I have a really broken cdrom drive. With this cdrom I'm able produce a
scsi timeout, which will cause a hang of the complete machine. I've
traced the problem a little bit further, and detected, that I get
interrupts on interrupt vector 0 (it's named VECTOR_GIO0 in the Irix
header files). I always see 17 irq 0 then the machine hangs completly.

Please, could someone tell what this interrupt means, so I can either
solve it by servicing the interrupt the right way or avoid it by doing 
something else ?

Thomas.

-- 
   This device has completely bogus header. Compaq scores again :-|
It's a host bridge, but it should be called ghost bridge instead ;^)
                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:49:32 -0800

> solve it by servicing the interrupt the right way or avoid it by doing 

      I believe that is the two bits:

#define EXTIO_HPC3_BUSERR		0x0010
#define EXTIO_SG_STAT_0			0x0001

HPC3_BUSERR means that the HPC3 got a bus error reading from memory.
The driver is probably broken and giving bad commands to the HPC3.
You should be able to find the error address in the GIO_ERR_ADDR register:

#define	GIO_ERR_ADDR	0x1fa000f4	/* GIO error address (w, ro) */

(0xbfa000f4 as a K1SEG address).

---

From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:39:18 +0100

> #define EXTIO_SG_STAT_0			0x0001

ahh, another register I didn't know.

> You should be able to find the error address in the GIO_ERR_ADDR register:

I've checked the MC registers cstat, gstat, the HPC3 registers intstat, 
instat.bug, bus error and the extio register. All of them are zero. Any 
other idea ?

Thomas.