Subject: Kernel port

From: Alan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:26:50 -0500

The "Goals" section on the www.linux.sgi.com web page states that the
project would like to achieve  "Ports to newer hardware like O2(TM),
OCTANE(TM), and Origin(TM), and even to old hardware like R3000
Indigo(TM)."

But wasn’t this written two years ago?  How relevant is a port to the
R3000 Indigo?  If it is relevant and people are still interested, how
could one acquire more detailed hardware specifications necessary for a
port?

Thanks

 - Alan Hoyt -

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 00:06:27 +0100

> could one acquire more detailed hardware specifications necessary for a

Well, not everything works as planned.  While in the meantime Linux has
been ported to quite a number of new MIPS targets Linux has not yet been
ported to the machines mentioned above.  I however hope the SGI's recently
announced commitment to Linux will also have some effect on the MIPS area
and make above port come true :-)

  Ralf