Subject: booting linux on a Challenge S

From: Nico Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:16:20 -0500 (EST)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

hello all, and pardon me if this is a FAQ.

Scenario:
	I managed to install the rh-5.1 tarball on a Challenge S. Since I have
a single disk drive on the machine, I installed linux on a '/' filesystem that
takes up most of the disk (sda1). I no longer have IRIX on the machine, and I
would like to boot linux. I have tried the following:
boot -f vmlinux (error message: file not found... how can I tell the prom to
boot linux??)

boot bootp():/vmlinux root=/dev/sda1 init=/bin/sh .. Machine loads kernel, and
stops after the 'Warning: cannot open an initial console'. Theoretically I
_could_ fix this problem by creating the correct entry with mknod. The catch
22 is that I cannot access the hard drive because I have no console.. any
suggestions?

oh-- I almost forget. This machine is completely headless, if that makes a
diference. Also, what it the status of the sound drivers? I have not seen any
docs on this... maybe I am just looking in all the wrong places.

TIA,
	-Nico.

- -- 
                    Nico Halpern, Your Favorite daemon.
                         UNIX System Administrator
                       Ramapo College  of New Jersey
                              +1.201.684.6821
- --
On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. 
                                                  Antoine de Saint-Exupery

---

From: Richard Hartensveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 00:59:55 +0100

> boot -f vmlinux (error message: file not found... how can I tell the prom to

You cannot, because you don't have irix anymore you have no place to store the
kernel locally. At least noton a partition that can be read from the prom.

> 22 is that I cannot access the hard drive because I have no console.. any

You can also edit /etc/securetty  in the setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm from the
hardhat distribution and add
some secure tty's (ttyp1, ttyp2, etc.) so you can telnet in to your machine as
root.

> docs on this... maybe I am just looking in all the wrong places.

Euhm, sound drivers on a machine that does not have a sound processor? :)

Richard