Subject: am-utils and NIS

From: Charles Lepple <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:07:49 +0000

Anyone have any experience with either of these under Linux/SGI? In
trying to rebuild the am-utils package to support NIS maps, I keep
getting this situation -- happens each time I try it :-(

[...]
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libamu.so.1 -o .libs/libamu.so.1.0.1
misc_rpc.lo mount_fs.lo mtab.lo nfs_prot_xdr.lo util.lo wire.lo
xdr_func.lo xutil.lo transputil.lo mtabutil.lo mountutil.lo umount_fs.lo
collect2: ld terminated with signal 6 [Aborted]
make[2]: *** [libamu.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/am-utils-6.0a16/libamu'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/am-utils-6.0a16'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I'm building this from the SRPM, and I actually haven't done any
modifications to it yet -- it's just the am-utils-6.0a16-1.src.rpm from
ftp.linux.sgi.com. (built with 'rpm -bc am-utils.spec'). Oddly enough,
it doesn't appear that NIS support was detected in the am-utils
configure script (although the machine was bound to a domain at the
time). I won't spam the entire build log to the list, but I have it if
anyone has any leads on this and could benefit from it.

I don't know how related this is, but while ypmatch-type calls work OK,
ypcat generally returns errors like this:

green:~$ ypcat group 
eegrad:*:4000:test
eeugrad:*:6000:
faculty:*:2000:
staff:*:10:azam,harper,marchany,sysacct,clepple
eestaff:*:3000:azam,harper,marchany,sysacct
yp_all: clnt_call: RPC: Program not registered
[above repeats 3 to 5 times, then terminates with...]
No such map group.byname. Reason: RPC failure on NIS operation

Sorry to bug you all about this -- I know that NIS probably isn't high
on everyone's priority list...

Thanks in advance,

-- 
Charles Lepple
System Administrator, Virginia Tech EE Workstation Labs
[email-masked] || http://www.foo.tho.org/charles/