Subject: Yet closer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 12:39:44 -0700

Hi all, 

I have SGI-Linux up on my headless Indy R5000, but I stupidly forgot
to "change setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm to add some securetty's so that
you can log in over the network as root.", so I can't get in.  I tried
all the recent kernels to see if one had a serial console, but no
luck.

Is there a kernel around that has a serial console enabled so I can fix
my situation or do I have to re-install?

Any suggestions as to other ways to get in and add securetty's?

In any event, what do I need to do to "change setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm
to add some securetty's"?

--jeff

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 23:52:25 +0200

On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 12:39:44PM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:

> I have SGI-Linux up on my headless Indy R5000, but I stupidly forgot to
> "change setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm to add some securetty's so that you can
> log in over the network as root.", so I can't get in.  I tried all the
> recent kernels to see if one had a serial console, but no luck.
> 
> Is there a kernel around that has a serial console enabled so I can fix my
> situation or do I have to re-install?
> 
> In any event, what do I need to do to "change setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm to
> add some securetty's"?

When booting the kernel pass the additional argument init=/bin/sh.  You'll
end up in a single user shell, can remount your root fs r/w and fix things.

The whole securetty thing has become a senseless annoyance since the
introduction of pseudo terminals and more fine grained mechanisms for
controlling access from networks.

  Ralf

---

From: Richard Hartensveld <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 12:24:41 +0200

> to add some securetty's"?

/etc/securetty

add:

ttyp0
ttyp1
ttyp2
etc.

Richard