Subject: glib (Was Re: X server update, observations on a successful installation)

From: Pete Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:14:23 +0100 (BST)

Ralf Baechle wrote:

> This happens because we use an old version of net-tools in HardHat but
> use a current kernel.  It's harmless however.  The solution is to
> upgrade net-tools.

Pulled down version 1.51 source from our nearest RedHat mirror and
built it. Still 2 routes to the local subnet. Editing
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ipup and commenting out the route bit
stops it, but also removes the route to lo0. Not sure which is worse.

> The Indy hardware doesn't have a frame buffer which makes writing an
> X server more difficult.  The X clients are working fine however.

Thanks for the info. I look forward to the completion of the Xserver.

On a slightly different note, has anyone succeeded in building glib ?

I'm attempting to build glib-1.2.1   Compilation keels over in
testgthread complaining about undefined references to various pthread
functions:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -o .libs/testgthread testgthread.o 
../.libs/libglib.so .libs/libgthread.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
testgthread.o: In function `new_thread':
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/glib-1.2.1/gthread/testgthread.c:89: undefined reference 
to `pthread_create'
testgthread.o: In function `test_private':
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/glib-1.2.1/gthread/testgthread.c:197: undefined 
reference to `pthread_join'
.libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
.libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
.libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
.libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait'
.libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [testgthread] Error 1

Any suggestions welcomed. 

Kind regards,

Pete

  ____________________________________________________________________
  Pete Young          [email-masked]        Phone +44 1473 642740
      "Just another crouton, floating on the bouillabaisse of life"

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 17:00:58 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 03:14:23PM +0100, Pete Young wrote:

> Pulled down version 1.51 source from our nearest RedHat mirror and built
> it. Still 2 routes to the local subnet. Editing
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ipup and commenting out the route bit stops
> it, but also removes the route to lo0. Not sure which is worse.

Well, my advice was not complete.  Why upgrading net-tools is necessary you
also have to upgrade /sbin/ifup to a newer version.  The problem's cause is
that Linux 2.2 adds a route to every interface automatically.  The ifup
script then adds another route ...

> On a slightly different note, has anyone succeeded in building glib ?

Me :-)

> Any suggestions welcomed. 

The program should be linked against libpthread, so the above link command
lacks the -lpthread option.  The question is now, why.  I think this happens
due to a bug which has been fixed in the meantime.  Please try to upgrade to
the libc from the Redhat 5.2 directory, does rebuilding work them?

  Ralf