Subject: Re: CP0_STATUS interrupt mask patch

From: Charles Lepple <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 13:46:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> on DECstations but may trigger undiscovered bugs on other machines.

I just pulled down the CVS kernel with the patch, and it seems that it
causes a 'keyboard timeout[2]' to be printed on the console after the SCSI
bus is probed. I undid the patch manually (ie, the rest of the kernel is
still from the cvs update) and it boots fine. Anyone else seen this?

--Charles Lepple
System Administrator, Virginia Tech EE Workstation Labs
[email-masked] || http://foo.tho.org/charles/

---

From: Charles Lepple <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 01:44:23 +0000

> causes a 'keyboard timeout[2]' to be printed on the console after the SCSI

Omitted a critical detail -- it hangs hard-core after this message.
Evidently the power button was initialized by this point, because it
doesn't turn off immediately, and it doesn't start the LED blinking
indicating an impending power-off.

System summary: 
Indy R5000
gcc version egcs-2.90.27 980315 (egcs-1.0.2 release)
binutils-2.8.1

-- 
Charles Lepple
System Administrator, Virginia Tech EE Workstation Labs
[email-masked] || http://www.foo.tho.org/charles/

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 17:40:22 +0200

> indicating an impending power-off.

The power button is handled during interrupts so when the interrupt
handling is fsck'ed the button won't work, too.

I'll look at it.

  Ralf

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 22:00:03 +0200

> handling is fsck'ed the button won't work, too.

I'm having this problem as well..

- Ulf

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 00:23:22 +0200

> handling is fsck'ed the button won't work, too.

Ok, you don't have to look at it I think since I just smashed the bug.

I found that indy_sc_wipe corrupted the interrupt mask, and that it relayed on
that it was restored by other functions to a correct state again.

My R4600SC boots fine now with Harald's new patches.

- Ulf