Subject: X VNC server compiled on Hardhat!!

From: digital convergence <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:37:23 -0700 (PDT)

As of last night I have compiled a version of the X VNC server to run
under hardhat-5.1 ....

I have been able to connect VNC viewers (on my PCs, my macs, my palm
pilot, even my amiga!) to the SGIs and use the SGI box to run X
clients...

Although I have it compiled here, the school won't let me put up anon
ftp to host this file... Is there somewhere I can upload the bin
tarball??

I will have a VNC-HOWTO as well as source code posted shortly... I am
in finals and time is scarce....

btw, how well is native IRIX binary loading supported? I wish to run a
copy of BMRT on my farm of indy's under linux, but it won't let me
execute any of the binaries (they're R4000 optimised old style linkage
bins)....

/* -- Thomas Cherryhomes -- Digital Convergence -- */

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:38:09 +0200

> execute any of the binaries (they're R4000 optimised old style linkage

Only a limited number of syscalls and other interfaces is supported at
all and I haven't received any reports about the IRIX compatibility
stuff in ages.  Anybody interested in maintaining this facility?

  Ralf

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:08:31 -0700

> stuff in ages.  Anybody interested in maintaining this facility?

       IRIX 4.* binaries are COFF binaries, not ELF, and have a very
different ABI from IRIX 5.* binaries.  The present support is really
for IRIX 5 binaries, which are much closer in interface semantics to
Linux native binaries.