Subject: Re: after the kernel seems to live

From: "Robert Keller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 09:35:08 -0700

At 12:46 AM 5/28/99 +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
>The R5000 is supported and known to work.  You happen to have a
>second level cache on that board?

how convinced are people that the VR5000 is supported?  I'm running
the latest code off the linux.sgi.com cvs server and I'm getting *very*
weird page faulting problems when doing the kernel/user space 
hazard shuffle.  Its really hard to describe the problems as they are
not deterministic:  sometimes the right thing happens, other times 
I get restricted instruction exceptions...  Both of these can happen on
the very same kernel binary...

Which of the vec0 routines should be used on the VR5K?

...robert

---

From: "William J. Earl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:56:27 -0700

> the very same kernel binary...

        What sort of system are you using, and what is the hardware configuration
(including caches)?

---

From: "Robert Keller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 14:32:31 -0700

At 10:56 AM 6/2/99 -0700, William J. Earl wrote:
>        What sort of system are you using, and what is the hardware 
>configuration (including caches)?  

Its an NEC 5074 development board with an VR5000 --
	32K  I  and 32K  D Primary cache
	no secondary cache.  

which vec0 code should I be using?  

NEC seems to have a bunch of errata and hazards in this part when 
dealing with TLBWR and friends...  Is any of the existing code supposed
to respect these?

Also, arch/mips/Makefile makes the compiler use -r8000 -mips2, is 
that right?

...robert

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 00:33:58 +0200

> which vec0 code should I be using?  

Like R4k.

> dealing with TLBWR and friends...  Is any of the existing code supposed

I don't have the errata at hand but as I remember we deal correctly with
all the cache and TLB errata documented by IDT/QED.  Otherwise for
shure Linux wouldn't run on my R5k Indy.

Is NEC's VR5000 different from the IDT/QED version?

> Also, arch/mips/Makefile makes the compiler use -r8000 -mips2, is 

Yes.

  Ralf