Subject: PIC code

From: TIm Hockin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:31:07 -0700

hey crew.

Working on a Cobalt box, I notice that gcc compiles EVERYTHING as if
-fPIC has been requested.

1) Why?
2) Can this be changed?
3) Should this be changed?
4) How?
5) What effects would it have?

I have never seen ld complain about linking PIC and non-PIC code
before...

Thanks (pardon my ignorance - I am 4 days old with MIPS  Linux :)

Tim

---

From: "Serdar Yegulalp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:38:54 -0400

Greetings, all. I know this is probably premature, but when the O2 port gets
going, I just want y'all to know I have an O2 machine here which is ready to
be exploited.  Thx.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                    EFNet IRC: TheGline
www.thegline.com                             ICQ: 934998  AOL IM: Ginrei23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
           w e ' v e  c o m e  t o  f a k e  y o u  o v e r
 you can crush me as I speak/write on rocks what you feel/now feel this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Warner Losh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:13:43 -0600

In message <[email-masked]> TIm Hockin writes:
: Thanks (pardon my ignorance - I am 4 days old with MIPS  Linux :)

The MIPS ABI requires this.

Warner