Subject: Re: 200mhz indy

From: Eric Melville <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 12:18:17 -0700

ok, this morning i successfully booted my r4400 rev. 6.0 indy! thanks
for the help... but now i've got a problem installing it. i'm a little
low on disk space for the whole hardhat archive. i was thinking i could
dump the rpms to a cd and then hook me external scsi cdrom to the indy,
however the root fs for hardhat setup seems to be missing mount, plus i
don't know if the redhat installer can be "tricked" like that (i have NO
redhat experience).

-E

> > i have an r4400 revision 6 200mhz indy. i tried to get linux working at
> > about the time the 2.2.1 kernel was released, but it wouldn't go. any
> > chance i'd have better luck now?
> 
> Yes, we've fixed a bug freeing memory used by the PROMs and I'm almost
> certain that this bug caused your 6.0 machine to freeze.
> 
> Iff that still doesn't help, could you do some experiment for me?  I want
> to know if the problem is really related to the CPU version 6.0 and you
> seem to have multiple Indys.  Could just try and put the R4400 6.0 module
> into the Indy which seems to be fine with Linux and report your findings?

---

From: Edwin Hakkennes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:30:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Eric,

> don't know if the redhat installer can be "tricked" like that (i have NO

I didn't try this, but it should work. At least it works with
redhat-alpha.

If you can get the kernel loaded and recognising the CD, it should be
do-able. Just boot the kernel with vmlinux root=/dev/scd0 

You can't just dump the RPMS to the CD. The whole install image should
be on the CD, it should be mountable as a rootfs.

Beware that there are quite some absolute symlinks. They could pose
problems. Make sure that mkisofs picks the right contents in this case.
(e.g. sbin/init instead of /sbin/init)

BTW: I'm trying to come up with recompiled rpm for the updates relative to
HardHat. Is anyone interested in these?

Greetings and good luck,

Edwin Hakkennes

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:00:25 +0200

> HardHat. Is anyone interested in these?

The update will be huge.  I've compiled about 80% of the Redhat 6.0
packages for MIPS and work on the rest.  It's basically more like a
Rought Cuts II than an update.  So I'd appreciate if somebody could
tackle the installer such that all in all we end up with a RH 6.0
based distribution.

  Ralf

---

From: Alex deVries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:17:14 -0400 (EDT)

I'm working on the installer from 6.0 as we speak...

- A

-- 
Alex deVries, puffin on LinuxNet.
Linux on HP PA RISC. The final frontier.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:49:43 +0200

> I'm working on the installer from 6.0 as we speak...

I should have reached 80% of the RH 6.0 packages.  The Indy is still
compiling, a 180MHz R5k is annoyingly slow for building 300 packages ...

  Ralf