Subject: gp

From: Tim Hockin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:01:03 -0700

Ralf + crew

just playing around with kernel, and wondering what (if any) work has
been done to use gp within the kernel.  I know it is built with -G 0
now.

I looked into it, and made sure that gp got saved and restored correctly
(I think), but when I compile with -G > 0 gcc (or egcs) gets signal 11 -
ideas?

Tim

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:35:36 +0200

> (I think), but when I compile with -G > 0 gcc (or egcs) gets signal 11 -

In Linux 2.1 / 2.2 we have an other use of the gp; it contains the
current variable.  See include/asm-mips/current.h.  It's been on my to do
list for a long time to check if -G > 0 will be a better use of $28 than
putting the current variable there.

  Ralf