Subject: problems compiling 2.3 cvs kernel

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:47:51 -0500 (CDT)

I am getting consistent signal 11 errors while trying to compile the 2.3
tree from the CVS archives with gcc-2.7.2.  They always occur on the same
files and in both my normal cross-compile enviroment and in the native
Linux-MIPS enviroment.  egcs seems to work fine in the native enviroment.
Do I just need to upgrade my cross-compiler setup?  Is there a tarball I
can install instead of fussing with the RPMs on the web site?

Thanks,

Andrew

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 23:59:29 +0200

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 05:47:51PM -0500, Andrew R. Baker wrote:

> Linux-MIPS enviroment.

cc1 of gcc 2.7.x is known to die on a number of C constructs like

bfd_link_section_stabs (void)
{
	unsigned long long i, count;

	for (i = 0; i < count; i++);
}

when optimizing.  This a compiler that was written even before the
invention of slived bread, so I don't care :-)

> egcs seems to work fine in the native enviroment.

There are binary crosscompiler rpms and native compilers for a number of
hosts online.  If you don't like using rpm, then you can still use rpm2cpio
and cpio to just extract the files from an rpm archive for your favourite
architecture.  Right now we've got binaries for Linux/{Alpha,sparc,i386,ppc}
online and I'll upload IRIX binaries rsn.  I just want to lobotomize
binutils before that :-)

  Ralf