Subject: Floptical Drive

From: Mike Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:03:18 -0400

I've connected my Indy floptical drive under Linux for the first time, and
the kernel accurately detects and sizes it (when a diskette is in).  Since
I've never had the opportunity to actually purchase a 21 M floptical
diskette, the default media are IBM format dikettes.  When I try to add
msdos or vfat filesystem support to the kernel (latest CVS) I get the
following failure:

make -C  arch/mips/tools
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mips/linux/arch/mips/tools'
mips-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/mips/linux/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic
-mcpu=r4600 -mips2 -pipe   -S offset.c -o offset.s
sed -n '/^@@@/s///p' offset.s >offset.h
cmp -s offset.h /usr/src/mips/linux/include/asm-mips/offset.h || (cp
offset.h /usr/src/mips/linux/include/asm-mips/offset.h.new && mv
/usr/src/mips/linux/include/asm-mips/offset.h.new
/usr/src/mips/linux/include/asm-mips/offset.h)
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mips/linux/arch/mips/tools'
mips-linux-ld -static -N -G 0 -T arch/mips/ld.script.big -Ttext 0x88002000
arch/mips/kernel/head.o arch/mips/kernel/init_task.o init/main.o
init/version.o \
        --start-group \
        arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o arch/mips/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o
fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \
        fs/filesystems.a \
        net/network.a \
        drivers/block/block.a drivers/char/char.a drivers/misc/misc.a
drivers/net/net.a drivers/scsi/scsi.a drivers/cdrom/cdrom.a
drivers/sgi/sgi.a drivers/video/video.a \
        arch/mips/lib/lib.a /usr/src/mips/linux/lib/lib.a
arch/mips/sgi/kernel/sgikern.a arch/mips/arc/arclib.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
fs/filesystems.a(fat.o): In function `fat_file_write':
file.c(.text+0x3214): undefined reference to `update_vm_cache'
file.c(.text+0x3214): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_26 update_vm_cache
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:30:19 +0200

> When I try to add msdos or vfat filesystem support to the kernel (latest
> CVS) I get the following failure:

Linus broke all filesystems some time ago, this is not MIPS specific.

Try the 2.2 kernel instead, I think they should be ok.

Ulf