Subject: Booting linux does not work fine.

From: Jens Oeser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:54:17 +0200

Hi!

I tried to install linux to my sgi indy yesterday, kernel starts up
normally and hangs after "Freeing unused kernel memory 44k freed". Then
i only can reboot the machine. I really don't find the thing causing
that, maybe someone can give me an advise to get linux to work fine.
Hardware:
ip22 175mhz
64/128mb ram (Depends which machine)
2gb hdd (2nd machine 2x1GB).
hinv says that i have a indy 24bit ... does this card is supported? I
think so, because kernel messages are printed on the screen, so entire
linux should do so.
So how can i get linux working?

regards.
Jens Oeser

---

From: "ANgus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:46:30 -0500

Try using Raju Mathur's howto & not the standard bootp instructions;

http://reality.sgi.com/raju/SGI-Linux-mini-HOWTO.html

that got me past the

"Freeing unused kernel memory 44k freed"

point. But then I gave up with my Indy because it hung on installing the Dev
files. Tell me if you get further ...

ANgus

-- 
			       ÞØ×

---

From: Cory Jon Hollingsworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:22:07 -0500

> So how can i get linux working?

    I had the same problem when I installed Linux on my Tandem, an Indy
like machine.

    You might want to try one of the kernels from
ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test.  I had good luck with
vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990329 which apparently fixes this problem for some of
the R4400 CPU based systems.  Just replace vmlinux in the NFS partition or
boop directory, depending on how you are doing the install, with this new
vmlinux-whatever.

    Good luck.

---

From: Jens Oeser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:59:43 +0200

Hi!

I got it working now, with vmlinux-r4400 ... other kernels are booting
but kflushd messes up my screen. The kflush always want to tell me when
he flushes something ... i really would have the sound kernel, but i
cannot use it because of kflushd trouble, anyone expierences with that?
I modified syslog.conf, but it doesn't work. Seems to be direct from the
kernel. I try i selfcompiled kernel today, maybe this helps me.
Another problem, If i try to add a swap partition, it only get's a size
of 20mb with fx, if i resize, the partition is not longer recognized as
swap, and the hardhat install program does not let me make it to a swap.
Is there i way to get it managed, without using linux tools for that?

regards.
Jens Oeser.