Subject: Re: binutils 2.9.5.0.4 is released.

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:31:31 +0200

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 11:52:00AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:

> This is the beta release of binutils 2.9.5.0.4 for Linux, which is
> based on binutils 1999 0801 plus various changes. It is purely for
> Linux, although it has been tested on Solaris/Sparc and Solaris/x86
> from time to time.
> 
> I merged a MIPS gas patch from binutils 2.9.1.0.25 to the current
> binutils and there are many changes in MIPS/ELF in bfd. I'd like to
> hear reports on Linux/MIPS.

MIPS users should continue to use the latest 2.8.1-based releases
available from ftp.linux.sgi.com.  All newer linker have heavy bugs
which will result in linker crashes, bad kernels and more.  I especially
have to warn about the binutils from Cygnus' anonymous CVS.  At this
time the MIPS support in that binutils versions is undergoing heavy
rewrite in order to support the N32 ABI and as a temporary side effect
they are therefore currently completly unusable for Linux/MIPS.

  Ralf