Subject: Indigo 2 / Redhat 5.1

From: Bob Pielock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 05:45:10 -0700

Hi I have a few questions about installing Linux on an Indigo system.
First off, I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted this before, if so
please email me about any problems you may have had.
Second, if no one has, could someone suggest anyhting that might come
up durring the process of doing so? Right now my box is running
IRIX 6.2, and I was thinking about getting a second hard drive just
for the linux instalation, does anyone have a better way to dothis?
How well is GL supported in Linux? Will the X server start?

Thanks,
Bob Pielock
[email-masked]

---

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:15:13 -0500 (CDT)

You should have no problems getting the HardHat distrobution running on an
Indigo2.  You might need to compile your own kernel from the CVS tree; I
am not sure if any of the pre-compiled versions on www.linux.sgi.com have
Indigo2 support in them.  However, there is currently no graphics support
for the Indigo2 so you will need to use a serial console for installation.
This also means there is no X support.

-Andrew

---

From: brett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:26:02 -0700 (PDT)

I think he was wondering about indigo boxes not indigo 2 boxes.  I know
they aren't supported currently (a shame considering that i have two under
my desk) but are there any plans to support them at all.

b

-----------------------------------------------
brett wagner	|	[email-masked]
get committed!	|	http://www.madhouse.org
-----------------------------------------------