Subject: glibc build problems, mipsel glibc 2.0.7-981211

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:43:32 +0200

Hi,
i discover the following problems while trying to build the debian
glibc package from slink (2.0.7.981211 + mips patches)

/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time/zic -d
	/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/debian/install/usr/share/zoneinfo -L
	/dev/null -y ./yearistype africa

/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time/zic: error in loading
	shared libraries: undefined symbol: __deregister_frame_info

make[3]: *** [/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/debian/install/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Algiers] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/time'
make[2]: *** [time/subdir_install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time# objdump --syms zic | grep dereg
0040d300       F *UND*  000000c4 __deregister_frame_info
(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time# objdump --syms ../libc.so | grep dereg
6009c96c g     F *ABS*  000000c4 __deregister_frame_info
6009ca30 g     F *ABS*  00000060 __deregister_frame

(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time# export
	LD_PRELOAD=/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/libc.so

(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time#
	/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time/zic -d
	/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/debian/install/usr/share/zoneinfo -L
	/dev/null -y ./yearistype africa

/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time/zic: error in loading
							shared libraries

/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/libc.so: undefined symbol:
							_dl_unload_cache

(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time# objdump
	--syms /data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/elf/ld.so.1 |
	grep dl_unload

0fb6977c g     F *ABS*  00000084 _dl_unload_cache

Ok - I found the symbol ... But .. LD_PRELOAD doesnt seem to help ...

(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time# objdump
	--syms /data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/elf/ld.so.1 |
	grep dl_unload

(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time# export
	LD_PRELOAD="/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/elf/ld.so.1
	/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/libc.so"

(root@repeat)/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time#
	/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/build-mipsel/time/zic -d
	/data/glibc/glibc-2.0.7.19981211/debian/install/usr/share/zoneinfo -L
	/dev/null -y ./yearistype africa

Segmentation fault

I am not sure if i am able to preload ld.so.1 - I suspect not ....

What do i do now ? Compile a "zic" whithout the dependency, 
build the package and replace the libc/ld.so ? This seems to be a little
risky.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff		[email-masked]		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is
  catastrophic and is repeatable  ...             Cisco Field Notice