Subject: Re: Challenge "S"

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:56:43 +0100

>Linux runs on a Challenge S, you just can't use the mezzanine peripheral
>cards yet.

I've never tried it, but the Indy kernel should run unmodified on a
Challenge S (which is essentially a "headless" Indy).  I've certainly
run Indy's off the serial console.   The one tricky bit would be that 
for the console serial port to work as the system console, one must 
ensure that /dev/console in the root filesystem actually maps to ttyS0.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.
__

Kevin D. Kissell
MIPS Technologies European Architecture Lab
[email-masked]
Tel. +33.4.78.38.70.67
FAX. +33.4.78.38.70.68

---

From: Mark Spencer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:56:14 -0600 (CST)

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have ordered a 3.5 GB Seagate Fast
SCSI-2 hard drive to put in the box and will then try to get it up and
running with IRIX first, then Linux.  Is the statement in the FAQ still
correct that you need IRIX in order to boot Linux?  Is it sufficient to
have the IRIX installation tools on CD?

Mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Spencer, President                 Free and Commercial Linux Support
Linux Support Services, LLC             On the web or on the phone
923 Stage Road Suite F
Auburn, AL  36830                       http://www.linux-support.net
(334) 887-1042                          [email-masked]
                                        Toll free:  (877) LINUX-ME