Subject: Re: Location of init_task_union

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:21:10 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 05:21:12PM -0500, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:

> > > I can easily move it to .data or .data.init_task like i386, but I'm
> > > wondering if there is some special reason why it is in .text on mips and
> > > .data on i386.
> >
> > Doesn't matter when it ends up, it only needs to be 8kb aligned which is
> > why we have to do such silly things.
> 
> i386 does it by putting it in it's own segment, then aligning that segment
> in the linker script.  Can we switch to that way?

Yes.  I already did this in my private source for another, MIPS64 related
reason.

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:57:00 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 12:13:59PM +0300, Gleb O. Raiko wrote:

> "Bradley D. LaRonde" wrote:
> > So when do we get this for mips32?  :-)
> 
> The patch that moves cpu detection to plain C already exists and it's
> easy to port other stuff from mips64. The only problem I didn't apply
> the patch yet is I have to make pci operable again and I am busy in that
> direction.

I plan to commit 2.3.21 into CVS this evening.  I do this mostly in order
to keep the 32-bit tree upto sync with Linus.  This will also contain a
pile of 64-bit stuff, just not all of it nor be complete.  I hope that
some people will take this as inspiration and fold some of the cleanups
back into the 32-bit tree while I continue to fight in the endless [1]
64-bit address space ...

  Ralf

[1] Where endless is defined as 1TB.