Subject: kgdb support

From: Jeff Harrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:00:56 -0700

In the process of looking through the MIPS/Linux code base,  I noticed that the
kgdb interface seems to support the ZS85C30  (see the function rs_kgdb_hook) 
but do not see where the generic serial interface (i.e. /drivers/char/serial.c)
is supported.  Is the kgdb support provided through the file gdb-stub.c? Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Harrell

 -- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Harrell			Work:  (801) 984-0183
Broadband Access group/TI	
[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:43:30 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 12:00:56PM -0700, Jeff Harrell wrote:
> In the process of looking through the MIPS/Linux code base,  I noticed that
> the kgdb interface seems to support the ZS85C30  (see the function
> rs_kgdb_hook) but do not see where the generic serial interface (i.e.
> /drivers/char/serial.c) is supported.  Is the kgdb support provided through
> the file gdb-stub.c? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The kgdb that comes from ftp.gcom.com:/pub/linux/src provides support for normal
serial ports if that's what you're looking for.  You may be able to use that
serial driver with the gdb-stub.c that we have in arch/mips/kernel provided
enough time to get the things together.  What are you trying to do?

Ulf

---

From: Jeff Harrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:50:04 -0700

> enough time to get the things together.  What are you trying to do?

I am porting the MIPS/Linux version of the Linux kernel to a IDT79S145 evaluation
board.  This board has a
IDT64475 (MIPS).  I would like to use a standard serial port as a kgdb port.  I
will use my other serial port for the
console port.  Could you provide any additional information regarding the kgdb
interface?   Is kgdb a standalone
application that would need to be built on the host to access a target board or is
it a patch to the kernel files that needs
to built into the kernel running on the host?

Jeff

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:24:51 -0800

> I am porting the MIPS/Linux version of the Linux kernel to a IDT79S145
> evaluation board.  This board has a IDT64475 (MIPS).  I would like to use a
> standard serial port as a kgdb port.  I will use my other serial port for the
> interface?   Is kgdb a standalone application that would need to be built on
> the host to access a target board or is it a patch to the kernel files that
> needs to built into the kernel running on the host?

I think kgdb basically is the same thing as gdb-stubs was, they just renamed it
for some reason. There is a program that comes with gdb-stubs that will let you
drop into kgdb over the serial line if you run it on the target.  You don't need
anything else than gdb to actually run the stuff once the kernel on the target
machine is in the kgdb mode.  If you get a kernel fault, it will automatically
drop into kgdb.  Read the patch and you'll see.

Scott Lurndal is currently working on support for kdb on MIPS, and that will
make things a bit easier when it's working.  Do not exchange kgdb and kdb, they
are two different things :-).

Ulf

---

From: Fernando Cela Diaz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:04:58 +0100 (MET)

Could anybody tell me the latest news about the X server for the SGI
Indy? 

Thanks in advance,

/FCD

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fernando Cela
email: [email-masked]                     phone: +34 666 572 994