Subject: Re: EXT2 fs error

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:50:45 -0200

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 07:52:04PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> If there is a scsi error before the ext2fs error then yes probably so
> You are looking for a "media error" probably.
> 
> > > 	SCSI bus is being reset for 0 channel 0.
> > > 	scsi0 reset. sending SDTR
> > 
> > SCSI reset is due to repeated attempts to read a block, or I might be
> > wrong and it it's due to a malfunction of the controller on your HD.
> 
> You can get it off some working sane hardware if you try and ask for stupid
> block numbers. It is worth doing a full fsck on the drive before assuming
> hardware. Also check the cabling seems sound and is well attached and that
> parity is enabled on the controller if the bios sets it.

I've seen this happening on my Indy as well like once every month or even
more rarely.  It only happens very rarely but it happens.  I think the
hardware of my Indy is fine as all my attempts to reduce the problems I'm
experiencing during my development to a hardware problem have failed.

  Ralf