Subject: RE: Snapshot

From: Mike Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:05:43 -0500

Hi Ralf,

This compiles very well (i386 cross-compiled) unless I add serial console
support, in which case it finishes like this:

mips-linux-ld -static -G 0 -T arch/mips/ld.script.big -Ttext 0x88002000
arch/mips/kernel/head.o arch/mips/kernel/init_task.o init/main.o
init/version.o \
   --start-group \
   arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o arch/mips/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o
fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \
   fs/filesystems.a \
   net/network.a \
   drivers/block/block.a drivers/char/char.o drivers/misc/misc.o
drivers/parport/parport.a drivers/net/net.a drivers/scsi/scsi.a
drivers/cdrom/cdrom.a drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o drivers/sgi/sgi.a
drivers/video/video.a \
   arch/mips/lib/lib.a /usr/src/mips/linux-19991206/lib/lib.a
arch/mips/sgi/kernel/sgikern.a arch/mips/arc/arclib.a \
   --end-group \
   -o vmlinux
arch/mips/sgi/kernel/sgikern.a(setup.o): In function `sgi_write_output':
setup.c(.text.init+0x84): undefined reference to `console_setup'
setup.c(.text.init+0x84): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_26
console_setup
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

The CVS 2.2 source still compiles.

Regards,

Mike

---

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:41:01 -0600 (CST)

Serial console is not working in 2.3 yet.  I know how to fix it for when
it is included on the command line, but what I came up with for detecting
it from the PROM enviroment is a bit strange.