Subject: sources of 2.2.1-990526 (fwd)

From: Eliseu Filho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:30:47 -0800

-----------------------------------------------------------
          I apologize if multiple copies of this mail are received
         -----------------------------------------------------------    

Hello

I tried to run the pre-compiled vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990226 kernel
on a SGI Indy (R4600 Rev. 00002020 processor with PROMLIB SGI ARCS 
Ver. 1 Rev. 10) but it has not worked (the INIT process does not 
start). I compiled its source locally, but it did not work either 
(same problem). However, the pre-compiled vmlinux-indy-sound-2.2.1-990526  
runs perfectly.

1. What is the difference between vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990226 and
vmlinux-indy-sound-2.2.1-990526?

2. Where can I find the sources of vmlinux-indy-sound-2.2.1-990526?
Or, is there any patch to upgrade from 2.2.1-990226 to it? I looked 
at ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/src/kernel/v2.2, but it is empty.
Also, ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test contains only the
sources of 2.2.1-990226.

I need the sources of a working kernel in order to introduce some
instrumentation, necessary for my research. So, I really would 
appreciate any help regarding this. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Eliseu M. C. Filho

-------------------------------------------------------
Eliseu M. Chaves Filho, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Systems and Computer Engineering
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
P.O. Box 68511
21945-970  Rio de Janeiro, RJ  Brazil

Phone:  +55 21 590-2552 ext. 245 (voice)
        +55 21 290-6626 (fax)
e-mail: [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
Web:    http://www.cos.ufrj.br,
        http://www.eng.uci.edu/morphosys

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:45:20 -0800 (PST)

> vmlinux-indy-sound-2.2.1-990526?

The vmlinux-indy-sound is a kernel that's compiled with sound support,
vmlinux-indy doesn't have sound support.  Of course the changes that have been
made to the CVS tree in between make the kernels different as well.

> Also, ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test contains only the

I doubt there is a tar ball of the source for vmlinux-indy-sound-2.2.1-990526,
but you can however check out the CVS directory as it was 990526. Try
something like:

cvs -d ':pserver:[email-masked]:/home/pub/cvs' co -D 990526 linux

> appreciate any help regarding this. Thanks in advance.

Good luck!

Ulf