Subject: Howto compile kernel on indy

From: Richard Dubrawsk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:52:30 -0600 (CST)

Hello
I have tried repeatedly to compile both the 2.1.100 and 2.2.1 kernel trees
on an Indy with the hardhat installation.  I had to manually remove the
${CROSS_COMPILE} directives in the Makefile on the 2.2.1 tree since it was
defaulting to cross compiling otherwise.  My questions are:

1. Is it possible to natively compile a kernel on an indy running linux,
or must it be cross compiled on another machine?

2. What ever happenned to rdev.  According to the linux-utils package it
should have been installed in /usr/sbin, and it is noticably missing?

3. Where can I find updated ports of the basic tools like compiler and
libraries?  

>From the messages I receive in this list, I know people are working on
this project, and I would like to provide some input, but without some
basic tools that work it is difficult to start.  

Thank you 

Richard Dubrawski

University of Illinois 
Urbana-Champaign

(web page: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~dubrawsk/)

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:21:02 +0100

> defaulting to cross compiling otherwise.  My questions are:

Cross compilation is a configuration option near the end of the
configuration dialog.  So no hacking of makefiles required.

> or must it be cross compiled on another machine?

It is possible, however most of us Indy hackers consider it inconvenient
to reboot the machine on which we're doing the development.  This is the
core reason why I almost never do native kernel builds.

> should have been installed in /usr/sbin, and it is noticably missing?

Rdev is only required on i386.  On the Indy use command line arguments at
the firmware like ``vmlinux root=/dev/sdc1''.

> 3. Where can I find updated ports of the basic tools like compiler and

Updates versions are on oss.sgi.com.

  Ralf

---

From: Richard Dubrawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:22:49 -0600

Thanks for the information.  regarding the use of command line arguments then,
I really want to make this machine boot unattended.  Is it possible to have the
indy boot rom automatically execute the "vmlinux root=/dev/sda3" line, and if
so how do I make it do that?

Thank you

-- 
Richard Dubrawski

University of Illinois 
Urbana-Champaign