Subject: Linux on SGI 540

From: Christian Krapichler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:17:12 +0100

Hi,

I tried to install Linux on our SGI 540, using the 28jul... kernel patch
from a SGI web page. It went well and boots until the point where I
should see the login screen - but all I get is a "noise" pattern. I am
quite new to Linux, but it sounds like the XF86Config is not right. Does
anyone have a XF86Config for a 21'' Monitor (GDM-5021-PT)? Any help and
suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Christian

---

From: Andy Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:08:52 -0500

> anyone have a XF86Config for a 21'' Monitor (GDM-5021-PT)? Any help and

Sounds like you've specified too much memory.  Try adding "mem=256M"
to the "loader options" box in the ARC firmware.

You might find some help on my VisWS web pages:
http://www.lcse.umn.edu/~adi/visws/

-andy
-- 
Andy Isaacson  http://web.mr-happy.com/~adisaacs/   Fight Spam, join CAUCE:
[email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]   www.cauce.org

---

From: Christian Krapichler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:41:55 +0100

> to the "loader options" box in the ARC firmware.

yep, that works (had it set to 512M).

Thanks a lot!

Christian