Subject: Is linux on SGI MIPS alive?

From: Tor Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:05:44 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry if I am off base, but is linux on SGI MIPS alive? I ask because the
status on the web site is a year old and the mailing list archive is not
working.
I just picked up and Indy with no hardrive, and would like to put linux on
it. I put a new drive in it, but from reading the hardhat FAQ, I need IRIX
to partition the drive. Well I don't have IRIX, is there any other way to
do it? I would love to get this beast running.

-Tor

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:02:02 +0200

> status on the web site is a year old and the mailing list archive is not

It is alive - probably more than ever :)

> do it? I would love to get this beast running.

I havent used irix though - I used the hardhat fdisk an created an
IRIX Disklabel.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff		[email-masked]		      	+49-subject-2-change
"Technology is a constant battle between manufacturers producing bigger and
more idiot-proof systems and nature producing bigger and better idiots."

---

From: Tor Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:15:05 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the reply.
In terms of doing the hardhat install without IRIX, can that be done
entirely over the network, or do I need a boot floppy ( I have no
floptical drive )? 

Thanks,

-Tor

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:35:31 +0200

> entirely over the network, or do I need a boot floppy ( I have no

Completely over the network - It was a bit tricky for me
as i wasnt able to use the default kernel - But - try it.

Flo