Subject: Just a little question ..

From: maxence Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:58:36 +0200

could we hope to see linux on Indigi r3000 one day ?!? :)

maxence Lange ...

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:36:44 +0200

> could we hope to see linux on Indigi r3000 one day ?!? :)

Right now: No success;( SOme days ago somebody asked for docs but I
haven't heared that here are *any* docs at all;( Some days ago, we tested
to boot a kernel, but this stopped immediately with an exception right
after tftp'ing the kernel;(

MfG, JBG

-- 
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]> -- +49-177-5601720 */
keyID=0x8399E1BB fingerprint=250D 3BCF 7127 0D8C A444 A961 1DBD 5E75 8399 E1BB

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:23:59 -0700

> could we hope to see linux on Indigi r3000 one day ?!? :)

Chances that we'll ever support this machine are quite low.  Most of the
documentation is lost or scattered somewhere over zillions of backup
tapes somewhere here at SGI ...

  Ralf

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:34:55 +0200

> tapes somewhere here at SGI ...

I would help searching as I've got such a box and want to run Linux on it
(instead of IRIX 5.2;)

Btw, my box has a card added which has transceivers vor glass cables. Does
anybody know what this is (FDDI or 10MBit ethernet...)?
Transmitter:	AMP 269011-1, 125MBit/s, @1300nm
Receiver:	AMP 269011-1, 125MBit/s, @1300nm
The board is connected on top of the CPU board and labeled with "SILICON
GRAPHICS INC. ASSY NO. 030-0246-006 REV A  MADE IN U.S.A 1992". Next to
transmitter/receiver, there's a crystal oscillator with 25MHz. That card also
has an own "processor", a AMD Am29030, build 1991.

MfG, JBG

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:25:04 +0200 (CEST)

> has an own "processor", a AMD Am29030, build 1991.

The 125 MBit/s looks like a 100 Mbps signal with 4-to-5 encoding. Since
100-Base FX Ethernet didn't exist in 1992 and ATM runs at 155 Mbps, I guess
it's FDDI.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:40:05 -0400 (EDT)

FDDI sounds right.  What does the physical connector look like?  I think
FDDI does 4-5 encoding?
	Nick

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:21:12 +0200

> FDDI sounds right.  What does the physical connector look like?  I think

The whole connector is separated into 2 halfes and looks like this:

                    +-----------+
                    |           |
                    |           |_
                    |     O      _|
                    |           |
                    |           |
                    |-----------|
                    |           |
                    |           |_
                    |     O      _|
                    |           |
                    |           |
                    +-----------+

The upper connector's data direction seems to be computer -> glass cable,
the lower one is glass cable -> computer (according to arrows printed on
"Transmitter" (upper one) and "Receiver" (lower one).

On thr right side there are 2 holes (sorry, don't know the english word for
german "Aussparungen";( It's about 25x10mm.

MfG, JBG