Subject: Re: xfree86 on an indy

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 16:29:08 +0200

And using -cc 2 gives a 256 _color_ display - silly me( I still don't know
why the PseudoColor visual doesn't work correctly, but I'll look into
getting the mouse going first now). That the xfree86 guys don't have public
mailing lists and BTS doesn't make life easier ... 
 -- Guido

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 07:48:17PM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:31:31AM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> > colormap & mouse are still broken. 
> The problem seems to be related to the default visual used. You can use
> the "-cc StaticGray" command line option to get at least a greyscaled
> diplay.
>  -- Guido
> 
> -- 
> GPG-Public Key: http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/guenther.gpg.asc
> 

-- 
GPG-Public Key: http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/guenther.gpg.asc

---

From: Gabriel Nava Vazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:04:05 -0500 (CDT)

How can i run xfree86 on my indy box?  Which version do i need, and which
kernel?

thanks

Ing. Gabriel Nava Vazquez
Instituto Tecnologico de Morelia
Mexico

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:59:26 +0200

Fetch the X400src-1.tgz from any xfree86 mirror near you and apply the
latest patch found at http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/mipslinux/x.
Then follow the instructions in xc/INSTALL.TXT. 
I'm using a self compiled kernel from the snapshot:
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/linux-2.2.13-20000211.tar.bz2
since I had little luck with later versions from cvs.
Note that the xserver is currently of little use since the mouse is not
working(SIGIO problem).
Regards,
 -- Guido