Subject: SGI-Linux port progress?

From: "Eric Watkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:44:54 -0700

Hello,

I was just gifted/given an Indigo 2.

It's working so I don't need any parts but I do want to know what the status
of the hardhat project is. The files I found on the sgi site seemed out of
date. Is any progress being made here?

How soon till I can install linux without having IRIX on my harddrive? All
of the FAQs/docs I could find seemed to have IRIX as a requirement to
partition the HD properly.

Thanks!

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:26:06 +0200

> date. Is any progress being made here?

Yep it is - The current CVS kernel is basically ok (Same errors as on
i386 with memory leaks) - You will need some more hacking to get some
useful output - I am by far a kernel hacker but i and Klaus Naumann
try to fix the tiny bits to get everything to run out of the box.

> partition the HD properly.

Nope - no irix requirement - You need an NFS Root - Kernel Level autoconfig
kernel - Then enter

bootp():vmlinux console=ttyS0 root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=<ipadr>:<bootpath> rw

on your indigo2 bootprom command line - Afterwards
if the hardhat is installed on the boot/tftp/nfs server you will
see your indigo2 booting on the serial (No Prom Console/Framebuffer
support yet)

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff		[email-masked]		      	+49-subject-2-change
"Technology is a constant battle between manufacturers producing bigger and
more idiot-proof systems and nature producing bigger and better idiots."