Subject: Re: dumb question - where is the latest linux/mips kernel source?

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:23:14 +0200

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 06:07:49PM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:

> I found 
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/src/kernel/v2.3/linux-19991209.tar.gz,
> but that is version 2.3.21.  Have all the patches been taken into the
> latest standard linux release?  Just to make sure ...

We only occasionally generate snapshots.  If you want a current source
tree then please see the MIPS FAQ at http://oss.sgi.com/mips/ for how to
use anonymous CVS.  CVS is currently at version 2.3.99-pre8.

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:16:58 +0200

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 10:11:12AM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:

> Is the intention to merge MIPS work back to the standard Linux tree?  If
> yes, do we have an idea when?  If no, I assume the MIPS branch has to
> keep getting forward merges from the standard tree.  That will be a
> pain.

Most of the changes have already been merged with Linus.  The situation is
now sufficiently confusing that I'll wait for pre9-3 or even the next
`real' patch before continuing to merge with Linus.  In any case our
diffs should be now down to less than 10% of what they used to be and I'll
continue to shrink them further.  The perspective of 2.4 compiling out of
the box for MIPS is pretty close to reallity, including even MIPS64, SMP
and Origin.

In any case we'll keep merging into our separate tree.  That's where all
the development happens and where we send the good bits to Linus from
time to time.

  Ralf