Subject: SIGIO Handler

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:11:36 +0200

I'm still trying to get the mouse to work under X. The problem seems not
to be related to X itself but to a kernel/glibc problem. X uses a SIGIO
handler to "get notified" about mouse events. I wrote my own small SIGIO
handler(see attached program) which works fine on my intel box but not
on an indy (glibc-2.0.6-3lm/linux-2.2.13-20000211). Could please someone
else run the attached program on mips/mipsel and check if it works or
give me a hint where to start to look for the problem.
Regards,
 -- Guido

-- 
GPG-Public Key: http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/guenther.gpg.asc

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 14:37:37 +0200

> give me a hint where to start to look for the problem.

Sigh...  Looking at this the first thing I noticed was that the ancient
strace that probably most of us are using prints wrong signal names and
in general seems to have problems.  Maybe I even just found the source of
a good fraction of the GDB problems.  Affects both mips and mips64.
Looking at those ptrace problems first ...

  Ralf

---

From: Hiroyuki Machida <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:32:13 +0900

Hi, Guido

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Subject: SIGIO Handler
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:11:36 +0200

> on an indy (glibc-2.0.6-3lm/linux-2.2.13-20000211). 

I had experienced same SIGIO problem. It that time, the definitions
of glibc's FASYNC (in fnctbits.h) and kernel's FASYNC (in
asm/fcnt..h) were not same. 

Check those values in your system, first.

---
Hiroyuki Machida

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:31:49 +0200

> Check those values in your system, first.

I'll prepare a new glibc 2.0 release with the header file fixed.  Glibc 2.2's
<bits/fcntl.h> is ok.

  Ralf

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 15:30:05 +0200

As a temporary workaround I changed the definition in asm/fcntl.h and 
recomiled the kernel, this makes the little test program work. Hope it
works for the xserver too...
Thanks a lot,
 -- Guido

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:57:05 +0200

> works for the xserver too...

Ok, but you changed the wrong side, libc's definition is what is broken.

  Ralf

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:07:55 +0200

> Ok, but you changed the wrong side, libc's definition is what is broken.
I know, but kernel recompiling is much quicker and easier for me to do -
therefore I stated it as "workaround" above (until you release a new glibc ;)
Xserver works now btw, but is incredible slow(will try to play with dma
transfers to speed things up). 
 -- Guido

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:13:41 +0200

> therefore I stated it as "workaround" above (until you release a new glibc ;)

Is uploading as I write this.

> transfers to speed things up). 

Excellent.  Even if it's slow as molasses, how about making a first release?

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 04:11:09 +0200

> Ok, but you changed the wrong side, libc's definition is what is broken.

Ok, glibc 2.0.6-5lm can be downloaded from oss.sgi.com, directory
/pub/linux/mips/test-glibc.

  Ralf

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:57:54 +0200

> Excellent.  Even if it's slow as molasses, how about making a first release?
I've stitched together some binaries which are completely untested due
to time constraints. They can be found at:
 http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/mipslinux/x/binaries

Note that the driver code is really messy, has still a problem with the colormap 
in PseudoColor visual and has never been tested on the 24bit newport since
I don't have such a card(exactly speaking I don't even have an Indy but
that's another story ;). I hope I'll find the time to clean up and test
a bit of the code near the weekend.
Regards,
 -- Guido