Subject: Netscape support.

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:28:59 +0200

Has anyone got netscape or another browser up and running on their MIPS
machine running linux ?

Regards
Carsten

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:[email-masked]
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:13:47 +0200

> Has anyone got netscape or another browser up and running on their MIPS

I had Mozilla running under Linux about two years ago and have sent all
the necessary patches to the maintainers at that time.  It was not
terribly stable, though.  Resizing the window crashed Mozilla but aside
of that it was running just fine.  I gave up tracking the problem since
my Indy by far didn't have enough memory to deal with GDB + Emacs as
GDB frontend + Mozilla.  I guess you need 192mb or more to debug that
resize crash ...  As for text browsers I've built Lynx which was running
just out of the box.  There is a few more text browsers like w3m or Links,
haven't yet tried those under Linux.

  Ralf

---

From: Karsten Merker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 06:42:43 +0200

> Has anyone got netscape or another browser up and running on their MIPS

I have Lynx, amaya and kfm running on a DECstation (R3000 little endian).
Take a look at ftp://bolug.uni-bonn.de/mips/ for RPM-Packages.

BTW, I have uploaded several new packages there, including a complete KDE 
1.1.2 for mipsel. Well, it's a bit slow on a 25MHz-R3K machine, but it
works and kfm is not that bad as a graphical web browser, if you have
enough memory.

HTH,
Karsten 
-- 
#include <standard_disclaimer>
Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
oder Uebermittlung meiner Daten fuer Werbezwecke oder fuer die Markt- oder
Meinungsforschung.