Subject: MIPS symbol versioning patches

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guys,

I have synced the binutils CVS with symbol versioning patches.  The
current CVS tree at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/binutils should work
now.  I have only tested compile and tests from glibc 2.1.90 so things
will probably break badly.  I will be away from my office the next
five days, and I will unfortunately not have any machine to work on.

I have verified with glibc CVS from today, glibc 2.96 CVS from today
and binutils CVS from today.

Ulf

---

From: "J. Scott Kasten" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:47:59 -0300

> and binutils CVS from today.

I take this to mean that we may soon have a working glibc 2.1.xx for MIPS?

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:12:41 -0700 (PDT)

> I take this to mean that we may soon have a working glibc 2.1.xx for MIPS?

Yes, it's just a matter of recompiling everything against it.  Keith
Wesolowski is doing this.  We have found some minor problems with
glibc that we haven't been able to resolve yet.  There is some bug in
the dynamic linker, it tries to resolve symbols that aren't there in
some packages.

There is also a problem with compiling gcc 2.96 natively, but I
actually think that's a problem in gcc 2.96.  It shouldn't try to
generate jump instructions like it does that in PIC code.  I think the
bootstrapping of gcc 2.96 currently is broken, but that's not a MIPS
issue.

Note that glibc 2.1 never will run on MIPS, glibc 2.1.90 is the
development version for the forthcoming glibc 2.2.

Ulf

---

From: "J. Scott Kasten" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:06:44 -0300

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:33:53 +0200

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 12:12:41PM -0700, Ulf Carlsson wrote:

> generate jump instructions like it does that in PIC code.

What jump instructions?  jal goes ok, the assembler knows how expand
them correctly for PIC code.

  Ralf

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:20:43 -0700 (PDT)

> them correctly for PIC code.

It uses j to perform branches that are out of range.  I think gcc
expects the assembler to translate it into a GOT16/LO16 thing if it's
out of range.

Ulf

---

From: Andreas Jaeger <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jun 2000 08:42:45 +0200

>>>>> J Scott Kasten writes:

>> and binutils CVS from today.

J> I take this to mean that we may soon have a working glibc 2.1.xx for MIPS?
No - only a glibc 2.2.

Have a look at http://www.suse.de/~aj/glibc-mips.html

Andreas
-- 
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs [email-masked]
   private [email-masked]