Subject: TFTP Problem Resolved!

From: Chris Ruvolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

Those of you maintaing FAQs or installation instructions might want to
make note of this.

When using bootp/tftp to boot, some of us have been running into
trouble.  We are able to get an IP with bootp, but when it came to
tftping a kernel, the client would issue a request, the server would
respond, but the response would be ignored.

Apparently, this is because the "Don't Fragment" flag is being set on the
TFTP UDP data packets.  This is set by default on kernels >= 2.3.x due to
path MTU discovery!

To correct for this, either boot your tftp server with a 2.2.x kernel, or
"echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc" before you boot the remote
machine.

Thanks to the guys on #mipslinux on irc.openprojects.net for their help
figuring this problem out and testing this solution.  Ralf Baechle
informed us about the /proc configuration.

This (mis)behavior has been observed on my Indy and another machine
(Siemens?) that belongs to flawed on #mipslinux.

For clarification, this affects TFTP servers running linux 2.3.x.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this resolved.

-Chris

PS: Yea!  My Indy works!  I've been so frustrated, I've been considering
just getting rid of it and selling it on Ebay. :)  Now I'm glad I didn't.

---

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 23:21:02 +0200

> "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc" before you boot the remote

Thank you *very* much! I'd love to proceed, but unfotunately my
developement machine (laptop) stopped working;(

> (Siemens?) that belongs to flawed on #mipslinux.

SNI RW320, which is (seems to be...) equivalent to SGI Indigo.

> just getting rid of it and selling it on Ebay. :)  Now I'm glad I didn't.

Don't know if my machine would work. Is CVS at oss.sgi.com down? As
well as FTP? I'd love to re-start developement, but without sources...

MfG, JBG

-- 
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]> -- +49-177-5601720 */
keyID=0x8399E1BB fingerprint=250D 3BCF 7127 0D8C A444 A961 1DBD 5E75 8399 E1BB
     "insmod vi.o and there we go..." (Alexander Viro on linux-kernel)