Subject: XZ Graphics specs (again)..

From: John Clemens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:06:54 EDT

I know this subject has come up before.. several times.  I have XZ graphics
on
my indigo2, and I would like to write linux drivers to at least get a frame
buffer up and running, and then X. (heck, given enough docs, maybe even
MESA
support.)  Now, I know that the docs are either very hard to find or
non-existant at SGI anymore, so this is a serious hinderance.  So I have a
couple of possible solutions:

1) Ulf, could you run that script of yours again that found all the NG1
graphics
docs and look for XZ (and hey, while you're at it, indigo2) docs?

2) if that turns up nothing.. is there any possibility of someone (me, I'm
volunteering) to sign an NDA and look at the IRIX source to see how it
programs
it and reverse engineer a driver from that?  What I would need in that case
is
someone to give me a rundown on copyright law so that I know what I can and
can't do.  As much as I'd like to do this, I can't afford to get sued ;-)

thoughts? from SGI? legality concerns? I'm volunteering to do the grunt
work...

john.c

-- 
- --
/* John Clemens     http://www.rpi.edu/~clemej _/ "I Hate Quotes"       */
/* ICQ: 7175925     [email-masked]      _/    -- Samuel L. Clemens */

---

From: "Eric Watkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:20:58 -0700

This is great news.

I have an indigo2 that I'd really like to use. The serial port solution
isn't really a good one. I really want to use my nice big monitor and all
that cool SGI video hardware. Using SGIlinux on a dumb terminal on a serial
port just doesn't justify the hassle for some reason. IMHO of course..

While I don't code, if you need another machine to test on please let me
know.

Please keep us all informed as to how this progresses.

Off topic: Did everyone see the announcement on slashdot today about NetBSD?
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sgimips/

Thanks,

Eric

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of John Clemens
> Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 1:07 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: XZ Graphics specs (again)..
>
>
>
>