Subject: Linux on Indy w/ XL question.

From: "J. Scott Kasten" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:23:26 -0300

I need to puchase an Indy and install Linux on it as a
development/reference platform for some embedded MIPS development I'm
involved with.  I've read the FAQ, HOWTO, etc... and need one minor
clarification.

In the documentation it claims support for XL video only.  That's fine,
however, do I want the 8 bit or the 24 bit variety?  Do they both work?

If I understand correctly, emulation is in place to the extent that the
IRIX Xsgi can be used under Linux to provide an X display as well?  X is
not critical to my needs, but would of course be a definite advantage.

Thanks in advance!

--

J. Scott Kasten
Email: jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"The only future you have is the one
 you choose to make for yourself..."

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 01:20:29 +0200

> however, do I want the 8 bit or the 24 bit variety?  Do they both work?

For text console, yes.

> not critical to my needs, but would of course be a definite advantage.

Nobody has worked on the binary compatibility for X in a long, long time
so everything I can guarantee is that it compiles.  It's never reached
the point where Xsgi was running properly.

There is now another X server based on XFree 4.0.  It's just the first
public release but you may want to try it anyway, it's available from
oss.sgi.com in /pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/X.

  Ralf

---

From: "J. Scott Kasten" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:01:55 -0300

> > however, do I want the 8 bit or the 24 bit variety?  Do they both work?

Thanks for your responce.  The info about the Xfree 4.0 derivative is
useful.  Now, I take your "yes" responce to the above to mean that both
varieties work for text.

-S-