Subject: Kernel image is not executable?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:08:21 +0200

Hi!

I've recovered so far from my developement machine's hardware crash
and can now start to tftp the kernel image:
>> unsetenv netaddr
>> boot bootp()vmlinuz.ip12
167120+81888+319472 entry: 0x80700c90
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.1.3 (from server )
bootp()vmlinuz.ip12: is not an executable file
Can't load bootp()vmlinuz.ip12

Only the first 2x512 Bytes are transferred.

[root@air:/tftpboot] #> uname -a
Linux air 2.4.0-test1-ac18 #2 Thu Jun 15 07:58:27 CEST 2000 alpha unknown
# This is an up-to-date Potato system
[root@air:/tftpboot] #> file *
unix:         MIPSEB COFF executable (impure) not stripped - version 3.18
vmlinuz.ip12: MIPSEB COFF executable stripped - version 0.0

"unix" is my IRIX5.2 kernel. Just as a guess, I changes the version
stamp to reflect 3.18 -- no success. I fixed the TEXT entry in
./linux/arch/mips/Makefile to the above value as well, but what
does make a tftp'ed file executable in Indigo's eyes?

MfG, JBG

-- 
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
/* Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email-masked]> -- +49-177-5601720 */
keyID=0x8399E1BB fingerprint=250D 3BCF 7127 0D8C A444 A961 1DBD 5E75 8399 E1BB
     "insmod vi.o and there we go..." (Alexander Viro on linux-kernel)