Subject: Symbol generation with cross compiler tools

From: Jeff Harrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:50:00 -0600

I would like to run a quick question past this news group. I am seeing
problems
with symbol generation on the mipsel cross compilation tools.  I am
using the XRAY debugger
with a Macgraigor EJTAG pod on a MIPS R4Kc (jade) core.  The XRAY
documentation says that it
should be able to recognize the symbols in an ELF executable.  The mips
tools (Cygnus GCC 2.9.x) that is
shipped with the development system has no problem generating symbols
that the XRAY debugger can recognize.  When I attempt to do  a similar
test with the SGI cross compiler tools, XRAY doesn't
recognize any of the symbols.  Here are the versions of the
cross-compiler tools that I am currently using...

       binutils-mipsel-linux-2.8.1-1
       egcs-mipsel-linux-1.0.3a-1
       egcs-c++-mipsel-linux-1.0.3a-1
       egcs-libstdc++-mipsel-linux-2.8.0-1
       egcs-objc-mipsel-linux-1.0.3a-1
       egcs-g77-mipsel-linux-1.0.3a-1

I am using the "-g" command to generate debugging information.

I appreciate any information that anyone might have on similar
situations.  Thank you in advance

Jeff Harrell

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Harrell                    Work:  (801) 619-6104
Broadband Access group/TI
[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Joan Eslinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:28:58 -0700

I asked one of the compiler guys, and he said the "SGI cross compilers"
are also made by Cygnus. He also said

   This customer would need to know where in the executable
   the symbols are read for XRAY and then see if that section
   exists in the mips targeted executable.

In particular, some tools generate .symtab and/or .dynstr sections with
symbols, and other tools only read one or the other of those
sections. He though you were probably missing a .symtab section in your
object.