Subject: linux/mips on cd?

From: Paul Jakma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:18:48 +0100 (IST)

does anyone sell a CD of linux-mips?

I'd like to try linux-mips in production use as my dialup
firewall. (security thru obscurity: let's see those script kiddies
find 'sploits' for linux/mips!). However, i don't have the bandwidth
to download the distribution.

if anyone is selling CD's, or if anyone would be kind enough to burn
a CD for me, I'd be very grateful if they'd contact me off-list.

thanks,
-- 
Paul Jakma	[email-masked]
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt
-------------------------------------------
Fortune:
It got to the point where I had to get a haircut or both feet firmly
planted in the air.

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:31:48 -0700

> a CD for me, I'd be very grateful if they'd contact me off-list.

There are currently NO linux-mips cds for ANY architecture. Are you
running little or big endian ? What type of system ?

BTW: Linux Mips is by far ready for production.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff		[email-masked]		      	+49-waiting-4-telekom
     "If you're not having fun right now, you're wasting your time."

---

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:45:55 +0200 (CEST)

> running little or big endian ? What type of system ?

[ taking CD from the CD rack ]

[ citing CD cover ]

    Linux Rough Cuts
    Excavated for PowerPC (MkLinux)m UltraSPARC, MIPS, and M68K by the Red Hat
    Linux Community
    
    Copyright 1998 Red Hat Software, Inc.

It even has an ISBN number: 1-888172-14-2 :-)

Now I have to admit there's no decent (read: Debian) distro for Linux/MIPS on
CD yet...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds

---

From: Paul Jakma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:39:16 +0100 (IST)

> running little or big endian ? What type of system ?

CD's: i meant more informal copies of the latest CVS.. :)

> BTW: Linux Mips is by far ready for production.

i know, i know.. I've read parts of the archive, and have lurked on
the list for a few months. However, it seems to me the Indy (little
endian linux/mips, right?) does at least boot and run some userspace
stuff.

i'm here more for the fun factor. (i've run linux on x86, Alpha
and PPC. Love to see it just booting on MIPS :) )

> Flo

incidentally, i tried booting the 2.2.13 kernel from the website. It
appeared to work as the PROM downloaded it and didn't complain, but
it produced absolutely no output. and when i pressed a key it booted
back to PROM.

do these kernels require serial console?

regards,
-- 
Paul Jakma	[email-masked]
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt
-------------------------------------------
Fortune:
If we won't stand together, we don't stand a chance.

---

From: Klaus Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:22:15 +0200

> endian linux/mips, right?) does at least boot and run some userspace

No, big endian ;)

Yes, it boots and it's possible to run most of the usual stuffs ...
Also X is working now (at snail speed but working) because
Guido Guenter made a X server.

> and PPC. Love to see it just booting on MIPS :) )

If you just want to see it booting you might want to get a vmlinux-indy
from oss.sgi.com and boot it up - it should work.

> it produced absolutely no output. and when i pressed a key it booted

This is not the default behaviour - The PROM should freeze after it
boots up the kernel if you use serial console - otherwise you will
see the newport console ...

If there is a running distribution I could make a CD and send it to
you ... so this is not the problem - but it's not worth it until
we have a system which is running more stable ...

	Cu, Klaus

-- 
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network
Phone / FAX : ++49/177/7862964  | E-Mail: ([email-masked])
PGP Key     : www.mgnet.de/keys/key_spock.txt

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:22:51 -0700

> endian linux/mips, right?) does at least boot and run some userspace

SGI is bigendian. It does boot and there is a userland. I personally
have even seen X working.

> do these kernels require serial console?

I was able to boot those. Hmmm. You can also try the indy kernel at
ftp://ftp.foobazco.org/pub/people/wesolows/mips-linux/kernels/ which
should definitely work and support the graphics console, if you have
XL graphics. If you have XZ you are in trouble at the moment.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator

---

From: Paul Jakma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:30:35 +0100 (IST)

> have even seen X working.

that's using Xsgi isn't it?

> XL graphics. If you have XZ you are in trouble at the moment.

I'll give that a whirl this eve hopefully. I have {Newport,XL} 24bit
graphics.

regards,
-- 
Paul Jakma	[email-masked]
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt
-------------------------------------------
Fortune:
Sailing is fun, but scrubbing the decks is aardvark.
		-- Heard on Noahs' ark

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:43:00 -0700

> that's using Xsgi isn't it?

There is both - A Irix binary emulated X Server and a XFree 4 patch
from Guido which uses the Newport console - Both are ONLY for the
Indy ...

Flo

---

From: "Scott Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:41:53 -0400

> It even has an ISBN number: 1-888172-14-2 :-)

fyi...
I recently inquired Red Hat about this... 
according to Cris Folmar at Red Hat, the Rough Cuts CD
is no longer available. 

perhaps Red Hat should consider making a new version available?

--
Scott Thomas
Program Manager
Trident Systems Inc.
Phone: (703) 359-6226
  Fax: (703) 273-6608
Email: [email-masked]
  Web: http://www.tridsys.com

> Linus Torvalds

---

From: "Mark Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:11:19 -0500

I might be interested in building a CD for folks if there's
interest...cd-r's, of course...

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Paul Jakma
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 1:19 AM
To: Linux MIPS
Subject: linux/mips on cd?

thanks,