Subject: Re: Kernel boot tips.

From: [email-masked] (Tor Arntsen)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:55:34 +0200

On Jul 9, 21:59, Ralf Baechle wrote:
>I've finally commited my rewrite of dvhtool into the CVS archive on
>oss.  It's not yet complete but hackers may be interested in taking a
>look at it.
[..]

This looks great. Just for fun I did a quick compile under irix 6.5.8 on 
an SGI Octane, dvhtool --print-all and dvhtool --print-all /dev/rdsk/dksXXXvh 
worked fine. --vh-to-unix failed with 'Short read: Error 0', I assume this 
simply isn't finished yet (or maybe it doesn't work under irix).
BTW it compiled fine with gcc as well as with the MIPSPro compiler (after
replacing this little gcc'ism:)
--- dvhlib.c.orig       Fri Jul  7 04:24:53 2000
+++ dvhlib.c    Mon Jul 10 15:43:51 2000
@@ -40,7 +40,7 @@
        case PTYPE_XFS:         return "XFS";
        case PTYPE_XFSLOG:      return "XFS Log";
        case PTYPE_XLV:         return "XLV Volume";
-       case 13 ... 15:         return "Unknown Partition Type";
+       default:                return "Unknown Partition Type";
        }
 
        return "Invalid Type";

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:53:15 +0200

> simply isn't finished yet (or maybe it doesn't work under irix).

It was actually developed under with gcc under IRIX and I can't even remember
having tested it under anything else.

It's a while that I last worked on it but as I remember --vh-to-unix was
actually working while the other direction was work in progress.

Maybe some nroff fan also wants to provide a manpage?

> replacing this little gcc'ism:)

Patch applied.

  Ralf

---

From: [email-masked] (Tor Arntsen)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:19:18 +0200

On Jul 10, 23:53, Ralf Baechle wrote:
[...]
>actually working while the other direction was work in progress.

It is indeed working, I was merely using it incorrectly (I had specified 
the device as I do with the SGI dvhtool instead of using -d).

>Maybe some nroff fan also wants to provide a manpage?

I can do it if nobody else beats me to it.

-Tor

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:57:16 +0200

> I can do it if nobody else beats me to it.

While still somewhat inaccurate the manpage is still a big improvment
over the current Read-The-Fucking-Source state of things, so I've applied
it.

  Ralf