Subject: Binutils-2.10

From: Dan Aizenstros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:45:27 -0400

Hello,

I have tried to compile binutils-2.10 with the patches from
http://www.ds2.pg.gda.pl/~macro/ but it fails because
BFD_RELOC_MIPS_HIGHER and BFD_RELOC_MIPS_HIGHEST are not
defined.  I believe that they should be defined in bfd-in2.h
but they are not there.  At the top of the file it says that
it is a generated file so how do I generate it?  I am also
wondering if changes to this file are missing from the patch
file.

Dan Aizenstros
Software Engineer
V3 Semiconductor Corp.

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:31:56 +0200 (MET DST)

> it is a generated file so how do I generate it?  I am also

 make -C bfd headers

> wondering if changes to this file are missing from the patch

 It's intentional.  Why would generated files be included in a patch?  It
only makes life more difficult when applying to modified sources.

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Ulf Carlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2000 09:34:44 -0700

Hi Dan,

binutils-2.10 is known to work [or at least compile], but the patches
you use are broken in some way.  You could try to generate new files
as you suggested.  To generate new files you have to give the
--enable-maintainer-mode option to configure, and you need special
versions of some build tools.  The files will be generated when you
run make.

Here is the README-maintainer-mode that pretty much explains it:

                Notes on enabling maintainer mode

Note that if you configure with --enable-maintainer-mode, you will
need special versions of automake, autoconf, libtool and gettext. You
will find the sources for these in ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils.

Ulf

---

From: Dan Aizenstros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:24:10 -0400

Thanks for the help.  I was able to build binutils-2.10 after
generating the headers as you described.

The reason I expect the patch to change generated files is
because the normal make does not generate them and the files
are included in the binutils-2.10.tar.bz2 file.  They are also
in CVS.  Why are generated files in CVS or the binary distribution
if you have to generate them?

I thought all I would have to do is a ./configure; make; make install
after I applied the patches.  Maybe you could add the need to generate
files on your binutils-2.10 web page.

Dan Aizenstros
Software Engineer
V3 Semiconductor Corp.