Subject: kmem_alloc: NULL ptr (name=unknown) - is it a serious problem?

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:39:42 -0700

I found a couple of these annoying messages at the beginning of kernel
startup.  It seems that some subsystems are requesting regions
(request_region()) before kernel even initialize its memory.

It appears to me this reservation is just for mutual exclusive access to
some memory region.  Since I have a static system (no PnP and hot swap
etc), so I can safely ignore them. 

Does that make sense?

What is the right to avoid these warnings?

Jun

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 01:28:22 +0200

> etc), so I can safely ignore them. 

Not really.  The kernel initializes all devices long after memory
managment, see init/main.c:start_kernel().  So the simple suggestion
would be to delay initialization.

  Ralf