Subject: Re: sgi prom console

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:58:16 +0200

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 09:54:16PM -0700, Keith M Wesolowski wrote:
> 
> This patch gets the sgi prom console outputting again, and eliminates
> the "cannot open initial console" error. Unfortunately, all output
> from userland goes to the serial port, not the the prom console.
> Looking at the code, this isn't at all surprising; the prom console
> pretends to be 4,64, ttyS0. It's quite beyond me how the prom console
> could ever have worked for userland.

It never has :) - There is a major difference between the console
for the Kernel (Really called console in the kernel) and a TTY. The
TTY implementation for the Prom Console has never been done from what
i see in the code - Although this would be quiet helpful to do
a full implementation for a TTY as we than had the possibility to
boot the Indigo2 etc with Framebuffer/Keyboard.

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff		[email-masked]		      	+49-5201-669912
     "If you're not having fun right now, you're wasting your time."