Subject: Re: [Install trouble] : mount failed: bad address

From: Nathan Fraser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:27:03 +1000 (EST)

....
>> creating 100k of ramdisk space... done
>> mounting /tmp from ramdisk... failed
>> 
>> I can't recover from this.
>> <<<<<<<

> Probably this is a kernel with no ramdisk support ?  Ah wait - No - 
> You have booted the kernel with a read-only root - Which means - When
> mounting /tmp i tries to write /etc/mtab which is read-only - Try
> to append "rw" to your prom console boot line

I just tried installing with vmlinux-000804-IP22-4400 and
hardhat-sgi-5.1.tar.gz - i get the same error as soon as the drive is
formatted and is mounted (ie: mount failed: bad address)

my boot command was (minor variations of):

boot bootp():/vmlinux root=/dev/nfs rw /home/tftboot/mipseb

The root fs is mounted via nfs ok read-write which i verified by writing a
file to it.. As far as i can tell the redhat installer is all working ok..
it just can't mount the newly formatted partition (or even an irix
formatted efs partition).

Is there a 'better' kernel to use to get the base system installed? Or am
i making some sort of stoopid installation mistake? The kernel that came
in the hardhat tarball failed with:

Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.10.30
page fault from irq

then locked up toally :( Sometimes it would not even print the 'q'.

The nfs is being served from a pc with slackware 7 / linux 2.2.16 / dhcp
2.0 / nfs: Universal NFS Server 2.2beta47. oh yeah.. and setenv netaddr 0
prior to boot... was a big help :)

I was trying to install to the second hard drive: /dev/sdb1 (under linux). 

my hinv:

Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
1 200 MHZ IP22 Processor
FPU: MIPS R4010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 6.0
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
Main memory size: 128 Mbytes
Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
Graphics board: Indy 24-bit
Vino video: unit 0, revision 0, IndyCam connected

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 08:30:02 -0700

> formatted and is mounted (ie: mount failed: bad address)

I wonder if the DeadRat installer is using peecee style partition
tables. If so, then this is probably the source of the trouble. The
kernels I build, as you can see from the .config, don't support those,
only SGI style disklabels. If the fdisk in the installer doesn't
support that, then it won't work. It does seem odd though that you
couldn't mount an existing EFS filesystem.

There are also several problems with older fdisks; indeed, I think you
still need one of my patches for the current one to work properly.

The dated kernels I'm posting there are CVS from the 2.3/2.4 tree,
built with a CVS compiler and binutils. I wouldn't go using those on a
lark. For something as old as Hard Hat, maybe try the 2.2 kernel
instead.

I must admit to being the one person on this list who has never even
attempted to install Hard Hat, though, so maybe I don't know what I'm
talking about. :)

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator

---

From: Nathan Fraser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 07:51:00 +1000 (EST)

well if there is a way to get kernel, base system, vi and gcc going
without using redhat I'd be VERY interested to hear :)

---

From: Famille Chauvat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:30:27 +0000

Please, don't keep it for yourself....
Philippe.

---

From: Nathan Fraser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:46:22 +1000 (EST)

i just used the indy sound kernel:

vmlinux-indy-sound-2.2.1-990526.tgz

from the testing directory and the install worked fine. After the install
all works swell...

Props to Ulf for the alsa driver! it works GREAT!

---

From: Famille Chauvat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:17:26 +0000

Hi,

I just finish to install Linux on the Indy and everythings looks
fine...except:

- how can I boot without a DHCP server. When I try to do that, a message
about the boot partition explain that I cannot do this.

Thanks a lot
Philippe