Subject: 16K page size?

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:18:28 -0700

Has anybody tried that before?

I wonder if it is just as simple as changing PAGE_SHIFT from 12 to 14 in
include/asm-mips/page.h.  

I remember I have seen many places in kernel and drivers that assume 4k
page size (perhaps minimum 4k page size in reality.)  What about glibc? 
Does it assume any page size?

Thanks.

Jun

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:30:02 +0200

> Does it assume any page size?

Most applications probably use the getpagesize() function, so they should
be fine.  libc itself should also be clean.

In the kernel we don't handle this properly yet.  There are also some
optimizations which are possible for larger page sizes.  IA64 already
has a larger pagesize than Intel, so I hope they have already solve
most of the problems for us.

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:38:04 +0200

> has a larger pagesize than Intel, so I hope they have already solve
                             ^^^^^
                             i386

  Ralf

---

From: Scott Venier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:24:43 -0400 (EDT)

shouldn't most things be safe since alpha uses 8k pages?

Scott

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:30:43 +0200

> shouldn't most things be safe since alpha uses 8k pages?

I've seen places which had #ifdef __alpha__ instead of conditionals on
the pagesize ...

  Ralf