Subject: CrossCompiler.

From: Nicu Popovici <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:55:25 +0300

Hello you all,

  I am new in this field so if I will make mistakes please be patient
and I will try to not repeat myself.

So my task is to setup a gcc crosscompiler which will make code for a
mips machine. The crosscompiler will run on a i686-pc-linux machine. I
downloaded the latest stuff from oss.sgi.com ( I read the foozbar
project which was to setup a crosscompiler on a Indy machine also for
mips ) but I got an error  .
Something  with signal 11. Can any of you have any ideea of what to do
to setupsuch a crosscompiler ?

Thanks for all the help that I will get from you .

Regards,
Nicu

---

From: Steve Kranz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:30:37 -0600

Try downloading the make-cross... package located at the
following site:

  ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple

The README file pertaining to that package states
the following:

  "This is the "standard" toolchain. It may not be
  perfect, but it at least builds a working kernel and
  some userland packages. It will be updated as major
  bugs are fixed or every 4-6 weeks or so. If you are
  doing development with Simple and/or glibc 2.2, you
  should be using these versions.
  make-cross.sh can be used to build a full cross
  toolchain in one shot."

Steve Kranz
RidgeRun Inc.

=============================

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:20:08 -0700

>   some userland packages. It will be updated as major

Unfortunately the standard toolchain itself is out of date. I would
recommend instead getting current CVS binutils and gcc, and patching
appropriately. With any luck we'll soon have a new standard toolchain.
make-cross, otoh, is still 100% useful; I use it all the time and it
works with arbitrary versions.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator