Subject: Re: indy gr3-xz support

From: "James McD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:05:46 GMT

Hey, I feel your pain. I too have recently acquired the same machine with no 
ram etc.
You are in luck though, all you need is some 72 pin parity ram, if you look 
up DMT technologies they have it in sticks of 8megs each for about 32 bucks 
for 64 megs.
The hard drive is also an easy to come by item, from what I have heard watch 
out when purchasing too fast a drive though...ie 7200 rpm or better since 
the drive can create a large quantity of heat in the small case.
You will also need something to view the display with, dmt also has 
monitors, but if you look around you may be able to find something bigger or 
you could get the converter cable to use a normal peecee style monitor. Be 
careful to check scan rates when purchasing old sgi monitors as I burnt one 
up in the blink of a screen.
Once all is said and done as far as the hardware goes then set yourself up a 
network and check out:  
http://reality.sgi.com/raju/SGI-Linux-mini-HOWTO.html
or just do a search off google for <sgi indy linux howto> and you will find 
many documents on getting Linux fired up on your indy!

>From: "Robert M. Sanders" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: indy gr3-xz support
>Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:49:17 -0700 (PDT)
>Received: from [216.32.174.190] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id 
>MHotMailBBC030CC00AAD820F3DBD820AEBE10F90; Wed Oct 25 06:53:16 2000
>Received: by oss.sgi.com id <S553797AbQJYNwK>;Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:52:10 
>-0700
>Received: from pneumatic-tube.sgi.com ([204.94.214.22]:40239 "EHLO        
>pneumatic-tube.sgi.com") by oss.sgi.com with ESMTPid <S553779AbQJYNvu>; 
>Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:51:50 -0700
>Received: from nodin.corp.sgi.com (nodin.corp.sgi.com [192.26.51.193]) by 
>pneumatic-tube.sgi.com (980327.SGI.8.8.8-aspam/980310.SGI-aspam) via ESMTP 
>id GAA01726for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:59:14 -0700 
>(PDT)mail_from ([email-masked])
>Received: from conejo.engr.sgi.com (conejo.engr.sgi.com [130.62.50.34]) by 
>nodin.corp.sgi.com (980427.SGI.8.8.8/980728.SGI.AUTOCF) via ESMTP id 
>GAA33856 for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:51:49 -0700 
>(PDT)
>Received: (from rsanders@localhost)by conejo.engr.sgi.com (SGI-8.9.3/8.9.3) 
>id GAA02341for [email-masked]; Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:49:17 -0700 
>(PDT)
>From [email-masked] Wed Oct 25 06:56:50 2000
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
>X-Status: N
>X-Mailer: Applixware 4.41 (1021.286.3)
>X-Orcpt: rfc822;[email-masked]
>Sender: [email-masked]
>Precedence: bulk
>
> >
> > Is the Gr3-XZ supported (24bp / opengl) under mips-linux?
> >
> > And the indy-sound system?
> >
> >
>For sound, see - http://www.alsa-project.org/
>
>Bob
>

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:15:15 +0200

> up DMT technologies they have it in sticks of 8megs each for about 32 bucks 

It is standard Parity SIMM - 72 Pin

I used Ram of old RS/6000 (Model 250) which works without problems ...

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff		[email-masked]		      	+49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."