Subject: Compiling libc

From: Jordan Crouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:24:40 -0700

This is one for all the libc folks out there..

I am running into some big problems trying to compile libc-001023 as
downloaded from the ftp site just the other day. 

Basically, after compiling everything, I start to verify my build and I
get the following whilst in the /iconv directory (actually, I get it all
over the place):

mips_41xx_le-gcc -nostdlib -nostartfiles -o iconv_prog
-Wl,-dynamic-linker=/opt/hardhat/devkit/mips/41xx_le/mipsel-hardhat-linux/lib/ld.so.1  
../csu/crt1.o ../csu/crti.o `mips_41xx_le-gcc
--print-file-name=crtbegin.o` iconv_prog.o 
-Wl,-rpath-link=..:../math:../elf:../dlfcn:../nss:../nis:../rt:../resolv:../crypt:../linuxthreads
../libc.so.6 ../libc_nonshared.a -lgcc `mips_41xx_le-gcc
--print-file-name=crtend.o` ../csu/crtn.o
../libc.so.6: undefined reference to `__pthread_initialize_minimal'

This is driving me up the wall and down the other side since it is
obvious that the linuxthreads directory is part of the rpath, and I know
that all of the pthreads libraries are compiled, so I can't find a
single reason why it doesn't work.  

A little background for you...  mips_41xx_le is actually the
mipsel-linux compiler under a different name (from the MontaVista CDK). 
I invoked my configure script as such:

./configure --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads
--prefix=/opt/hardhat/devkit/mips/41xx_le/mipsel-hardhat-linux
mipsel-hardhat-linux

I would really appreciate any patches, advice or therapy.

Jordan crouse

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 03:14:12 +0100

> I would really appreciate any patches, advice or therapy.

No patches but the advice to dump this compiler entirely for glibc 2.2 use.
Your compiler seems to be a derivate of egcs 1.0 or similar vintage which
like in this case misstreats undefined weak symbols.

  Ralf