Subject: Threads on mips

From: Mark Lehrer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:55:42 -0600

Hello!  I am just getting started with one of the MIPS embedded
platforms, the NEC VR4122.  I downloaded the kernel & ramdisk from the
linux-vr web pages.

Some of the apps I'm trying to port over use pthreads; however, the
pthread library that is included doesn't appear to work - the process
that tries to create a thread just waits forever until I hit ctrl-c.

Is anyone using threads with the mips embedded platforms?  If so, what
kernel, libc, and pthreads library are you using?

If not, has anyone thought about what it might take to get threads to
work?

Thanks,
Mark Lehrer

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:17:53 -0700

> that tries to create a thread just waits forever until I hit ctrl-c.

I have worked with linux-vr before and tried to get pthread working. 
The glibc v2.0.7 had several problems in terms of getting pthread
working.

> kernel, libc, and pthreads library are you using?

I just found a bug in kernel yesterday.  After the temporary fix, my
pthread test program seems to work.  I am using glibc 2.0.6.  Kernel is
v2.4 from cvs tree.
 
> If not, has anyone thought about what it might take to get threads to

I am thinking about that a lot. :-)  I like to get ViewML, a web
broswer, working.  It requires pthreads.

Jun