Subject: 2.4 Kernel Problem on Indy

From: Ian Chilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:20:29 +0100

Hello,

Just compiled the CVS 2.4 kernel from this morning, with egcs 1.0.3a, glibc 2.0.6 and binutils 2.8.1 (compiled nativly)

When I try to boot, it says this...something I have done wrong, or a kernel bug?
(the cvs 2.2 one I did at the same time works though :))

>> boot bootp():/vmlinux root=/dev/sda5             
130768+22320+3184+341792+48560d+4604+6816 entry: 0x8afa60d0
Obtaining /vmlinux from server slinky                      
  -                                  
Exception: <vector=UTLB Miss>
Status register: 0x10004802<CU0,IM7,IM4,IPL=???,MODE=KERNEL,EXL>
Cause register: 0x8008<CE=0,IP8,EXC=RMISS>                      
Exception PC: 0x88026f88, Exception RA: 0x8802a698
exception, bad address: 0xfffffffc                
Local I/O interrupt register 1: 0x80 <VR/GIO2>
  Saved user regs in hex (&gpda 0xa8740e48, &_regs 0xa8741048):
  arg: 88193f40 21 88009e24 3c                                 
  tmp: 4800 ffff00ff a 0 881a377e fffffff7 ffffffff 88009dbc
  sve: 881a3763 881a3763 0 0 88193f44 10004801 21 0         
  t8 a t9 0 at 10004800 v0 fffffff8 v1 0 k1 bad11bad
  gp 88008000 fp 88009d98 sp 88009d98 ra 8802a698   
                                                 
PANIC: Unexpected exception

[Press reset or ENTER to restart.]

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bye for Now,

Ian

                     \|||/ 
                     (o o)
 /----------------ooO-(_)-Ooo----------------\
 |  Ian Chilton                              |
 |  E-Mail : [email-masked]              |
 \-------------------------------------------/

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:38:14 +0200

> >> boot bootp():/vmlinux root=/dev/sda5             

Boot with ``boot -f ...''.  If then your Indy rejects the kernel binary you
have a very old firmware and will have to rebuild a kernel as ECOFF binary
with ``make vmlinux.ecoff'' and boot that one.

(If this procedure actually works for you then you still have a few IRIX
bits left on your disk.)

  Ralf