Subject: Installing linux on Indy

From: Joe Berens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:46:13 -0500

Hello,

I have followed the installation instructions and I think every thing is
set up right.  When I do "boot -f bootp()<ipaddr of
server>:/<hardhatdir>/vmlinux", the kernel seems to start booting and
hangs after:

Partition check: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on <ipaddr of server>
RPC: sendmsg returned error 128
RPC: sendmsg returned error 128
RPC: sendmsg returned error 128
RPC: sendmsg returned error 128
portmap: server <ip addr of server> not responding, timed out
Root-Nfs: Unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on <ipaddr of server>
RPC: sendmsg returned error 128

Then it seems to hang for ever.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe
___________________________________

Joe Berens
SGI Customer Support Center
Operating Systems Group
Phone: 800-800-4744, Direct: 651-683-3254
Email: [email-masked]

___________________________________

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 05:13:26 +0200

> RPC: sendmsg returned error 128

128 = ENETUNREACH.  Sure your network configuration is correct and both
client and server are on the same subnet?

  Ralf

---

From: "Erik Aderstedt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:46:00 +0200

Hi,

The portmapper isn't running on your system. I'm not an expert, 
I just know that I got a lot of RPC-related errors due to
portmap not running.

If you are booting from a RedHat system please note that
due to some misconfiguration (at least in 6.1) portmap will 
not be running after you've booted the system , even though
you may have installed it.

Finally, make sure that nfsd and mountd are both running on
your host.

/Erik
[email-masked]