Subject: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=480274822

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:01:15 -0400

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=480274822

do these seem ok for use in an Indy?

Tim Maloney
Senior Developer
iXL, Inc.
1930 Camden Road, Suite 2070
Charlotte, NC 28203
704 943-7193 phone
[email-masked]
www.ixl.com

---

From: "Robert M. Sanders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:18:00 -0700 (PDT)

> do these seem ok for use in an Indy?

Nope.  they must have Gold pins, otherwise there will be metal migration.  Use 
for a short time might be ok.  Also, there is no statement of their speed they 
must be 70 ns or faster.

Best bet is to go to Crucial's or Dataram's website and at least get the spec's 
for their replacement SIMMs.  Then use those to compare against the stuff on 
E'bay.

Also, consider that unless you're going to run IRIX 6.5.x, 32 Mb or 64 MB is fine 
for Linux and 2D graphics.  Under IRIX 6.5.x, 64MB is the starting point but the 
system will be slow.  128MB or 192MB is much better - 128Mb allows Netscape to 
fire up with swapping.

Also, flakey memory will cause all sorts of problems and kernel panics.  And not 
just on SGI hardware, but on a common PC.  Do not use junk memory, you'll be 
debugging lots of problems that do not appear to be memory related and transient 
in nature.

Bob

---

From: Pedro Ugalde <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:31:45 -0400

Beware, I heard that tin lead simms oxidise the terminals on sgi
machines
but i have never tested it.

good luck
Pedro ugalde

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 01:22:44 +0100

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 11:31:45AM -0400, Pedro Ugalde wrote:

> machines but i have never tested it.

The same problem also applies to other machines.  Simple rule don't mix
different materials on the terminals.

  Ralf