Subject: userland packages

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:36:17 -0700

Is there a guide on how to rebuild userland packages from source code? 
I've installed the cross compiler and can compile a kernel, but when I
try to build a simple userland app, the compiler can't find libraries,
include files, etc.

Thanks.

Pete

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 04:34:33 +0200

> try to build a simple userland app, the compiler can't find libraries,

You have to copy all the includes and libraries to
/usr/mips-linux/{include,lib}/, then fixup linker scripts that disguise
themselfes as .so files like libc.so and you can start.

Getting everything to crosscompile is a hard job, I really recomend
native builds.

  Ralf

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:14:23 -0700

> Getting everything to crosscompile is a hard job, I really recomend

Pete,

He is not telling the truth. :-)  See his very own MIPS-HOWTO,
cross-compile section :

http://www.linux.sgi.com/mips-howto.html

Also, you can take a look of the rpm spec files for the toolchains I put
on ftp.mvista.com/pub/Area51/mips_le/.  So far all my usrland stuff are
cross-compiled - I don't have the luxury of a desktop MIPS with 1.6GB
RAM.

Jun

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 01:27:45 +0200

> http://www.linux.sgi.com/mips-howto.html

So you probably never tried to crosscompile something with extensive
autoconf scripts like Gnome.  It's a major pain to get that done right.
Running the compiler is the trivial part of build some package ...

> cross-compiled - I don't have the luxury of a desktop MIPS with 1.6GB

I bet your heating makes less noise ...

  Ralf

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:30:36 -0700

> Running the compiler is the trivial part of build some package ...

Our cross development environment make it easy to rebuild all packages
we support, but the big endian tool chain and libs aren't ready yet.  I
think I'll just wait :-)  I've got plenty of things broken as it is,
without the userland packages.

Pete

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:27:25 +0100 (MET)

> autoconf scripts like Gnome.  It's a major pain to get that done right.

 Well, for sane scripts that can be handled easily by defining problematic
cache variables to reasonable values.  The real problem are helper
programs used to build architecture-dependent data, see e.g. tic in
ncurses. 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:41:46 +0100

> programs used to build architecture-dependent data, see e.g. tic in

Or as one more example rpcgen in libc.  Last I checked libc did cheat and
omit all the affected parts of libc when crosscompiling.  Não bom.

  Ralf