Subject: glibc on MIPS ...

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:30:16 -0700

Does anybody what is the status of glibc on MIPS?

So far I have been using the glibc coming from linux-vr project.  It is
v2.0.7.  Somehow the pthread does not appear to be working. 
pthread_create() returns EAGIN error, even though clone() system returns
correct result.

I looked at the cvs tree on oss.sgi.com.  The glibc version is 2.0.6. 
What is the status of this version?

I also heard about the debian-mips project.  What glibc is used here?

Thanks.

Jun

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:12:44 +0200

> pthread_create() returns EAGIN error, even though clone() system returns

2.0.7 is filling my mailfolders with obscure bug reports.  Seems like
nobody is bothering to keep it updated with any kind of bug fixes.

> What is the status of this version?

Cvs on oss should be equivalent to glibc-2.0.6-5lm.src.rpm which is the
version which I'm still recommending for now.  Don't use -6lm, it's
broken.

> I also heard about the debian-mips project.  What glibc is used here?

A pre-2.2 snapshot.  Not yet stable and requires a binutils snapshot to
build which also isn't yet stable.  But we're getting closer and things
are beginning to look promising.

  Ralf

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:06:58 +0200 (MET DST)

> are beginning to look promising.

 I have also binutils 2.10 working well for glibc 2.2, if anyone's
interested. 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 00:24:21 +0200

> are beginning to look promising.

We are trying :) I am currently basing all my Debian-mips(el) things
on glibc 2.0.6. It is the only stable solution right now. I am experimenting
with the glibc 2.1.94-3 debian source package which i managed to get
compiled with unmodified cvs binutils and gcc + the gcse patch.

Ralf reported bugs in the ld where he send me a patch. With that patch
i get a "Bus Error" from the ld.so within the glibc build.

So currently - No real work on glibc 2.2 based debian but that will
change soon i guess ...

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff		[email-masked]		      	+49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:04:44 +0200

> i get a "Bus Error" from the ld.so within the glibc build.

There patch is ok; you get those bus errors because there are bugs in
both ld and binutils that in most cases compensate each other.  If you
fix only one of them you get all sorts of funnies ...

Even with the fixes ld is not yet perfect - for example emacs and X still
fail.

  Ralf