Subject: FATAL: cannot determine library version

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:19:32 -0700

I've got a big endian kernel running for a new embedded board, and it
mounts the root fs over nfs.  I'm using the simple-0.2b packages as the
root fs.  At some point after /bin/sh is loaded, I get the following
error:

FATAL: cannot determine library version

The same root file system is fine on my Indigo2.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Pete

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:18:09 +0200

> The same root file system is fine on my Indigo2.

Seems your kernel is foobared.  On startup libc is trying to determine
the kernel version but both using uname and /proc/sys/kernel/osrelease
fail for some reason.

  Ralf

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:12:58 -0800

> the kernel version but both using uname and /proc/sys/kernel/osrelease

Thanks, that helped.

uname wasn't called at all -- only /proc/sys/kernel/osrelease was being
opened. However, I did not have CONFIG_SYSCTL enabled in my .config
file. 

Pete