Subject: Indigo2 Kernel Boots!!!

From: Jesse Dyson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:48:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have an Indigo2.  I have tftp/dhcp(bootp)/nfs configured correctly (I
think).  I am using the hardhat-5.1-sgi.tar.gz distribution and the kernel
vmlinux-2.2.14-r4x00-cvs.ecoff.

I am using the monitor commands:
unsetenv netaddr (dur to DHCP bug)
boot bootp():/vmlinux nfsroot=208.128.132.35:/home/jdyson/sgi-linux/mipseb

/vmlinux is a symbolic link to vmlinux-2.2...

I have the distribution in the mipseb folder (RedHat is a subdirectory of
mipseb).  I think this is right.

When I run this the kernel seems to start up (finds hardware, etc).
Connects to the root filesystem...The last message I get is "Warning:
unable to open an initial console"

I have removed the graphics card from the machine (evidently the vx
frame-buffer card is a problem).  I am connected to the serial port to get
access to command monitor, etc.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do next or what I am doing wrong.
Thank you in advance for your time; and thanks guys for helping me get to
this point.

Thanks,
Jesse Dyson

---

From: Klaus Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:53:03 +0100 (CET)

> unable to open an initial console"

If you're booting the kernel with serial console you have to
link /dev/console to /dev/ttyS0 - see also Pitfalls section in the
Linux on Indigo2 HOWTO (http://oss.sgi.com/mips/i2-howto.html)

		CU, Klaus

-- 
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network
Phone / FAX : ++49/177/7862964  | E-Mail: ([email-masked])
PGP Key     : www.mgnet.de/keys/key_spock.txt

---

From: Jesse Dyson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:41:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I'm not exactly sure what this means to "link" /dev/console.  Based on the
FAQ (http://foobazco.org/~weslows/Install-HOWTO.html), I shouldn't have to
do the inittab stuff since I am in ser port 1.  I noticed I do not have an
/etc/inittab file in my root fs, but there is a inittabold.  Is there
something with these files I have to fix or do I do an 'ln -s' or
something on the /dev/console and point it to /dev/ttyS0?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Jesse Dyson

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:56:42 -0800

> > > think).  I am using the hardhat-5.1-sgi.tar.gz distribution and the kernel
...
> do the inittab stuff since I am in ser port 1.  I noticed I do not have an

The FAQ on my site has nothing whatever to do with the Hard Hat
distribution.  I have no idea how relevant it is if you're using that.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:10:32 +0100

> something on the /dev/console and point it to /dev/ttyS0?

When the init process fires up, it opens /dev/console as the
console output device.  A default SGI workstation installation
file system will have /dev/console bound to the major/minor device
node of the graphics display console.  If you want to run with a serial
console, you must therefore change this to bind /dev/console
to the serial port.  You can do this by doing an explicit mknod,
or by linking to the appropriate serial port device node,
which is usually /dev/ttyS0.

            Kevin K.

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:59:42 +0100

> which is usually /dev/ttyS0.

Which both are wrong.  /dev/console should be a char device major 5, minor 1.
There is no need to change this ever except for very old kernels.  With 2.2
or 2.4 whenever people change /dev/console's major/minor it's usually painting
over some bug.

  Ralf

---

From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:22:51 +0100

> or 2.4 whenever people change /dev/console's major/minor it's usually
painting

Having been through the exercise a dozen or more times with
the SGI 2.2 kernel distributions for the Indy, I would be fascinated
to know what bug I was painting over, and where the correct
procedure was documented.

            Kevin K.