Subject: setenv eaddr

From: Michl Ladislav <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:50:28 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

I was looking to the archives and HOWTOs to find way how to change eaddr
of sgi Indy (which was incorrectly set after 2.4.0-test6 crash) and find
couple of questions and no answer. I think about -p switch of setenv
mentioned in archives supposing that it means "permanent" and trying to
imagine how to FORCE set eaddr. This is the key.

>> setenv -f eaddr 12:34:56:78:9a:bc

Maybye you find this information usefull. I'm sorry to trouble you if you
already know it.

Regards
Ladislav Michl

PS: It's nice to see Linux running on sgi Indy. Thanks.

---

From: "Soren S. Jorvang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:25:55 +0100

> of sgi Indy (which was incorrectly set after 2.4.0-test6 crash) and find

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sgimips/faq.html (no, NetBSD
doesn't actually run on the Indy yet).

-- 
Soren

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 04:58:04 +0100

> imagine how to FORCE set eaddr. This is the key.

The -p option doesn't work for the eaddr variable.  Hey, SGI didn't want
it's customers to arbitrarily change serial numbers of the machine ...

  Ralf

---

From: Michl Ladislav <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:53:19 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> The -p option doesn't work for the eaddr variable.  

You are right, of course :-) Perhaps you didn't read my post carefully. I
was talking about -f option (as shown in example), which definitely works
on my indy.

> Hey, SGI didn't want it's customers to arbitrarily change serial
> numbers of the machine ...

Hmm, as I already wrote, after kernel crash I was left with incorectly
set eaddr variable and I was unable to boot anything :-< I only set eaddr
to its original value by this pretty simple way. So no arbitrarily change,
but repair to original state. 

Regards
Lada.