Subject: [Fwd: Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours]

From: Nicu Popovici <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:03:49 -0500

Subject: Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:53:30 +0200

    **********************************************
    **      THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY      **
    **  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE  **
    **********************************************

The original message was received at Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:48:41 +0200
from calin.cs.tuiasi.ro [193.231.15.163]

   ----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
<[email-masked]>

   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
<[email-masked]>... Deferred: oss.sgi.com.: No route to host
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

Subject: Re: MIPS kernel!
From: Nicu Popovici <[email-masked]>
To: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:41:16 -0500

Ralf Baechle wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:53:14AM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
>
> > In general, at MIPS, we generally build native or semi-native
> > (mipsel on mipseb machines and vice versa).  In cross-builds
> > of other components, however, I have observed that problems
> > such as those you describe can result from include files
> > on the host platform being erroneously pulled in to the cross-build.
> > Cross-gcc and the makefiles have been known to be set up such
> > that, if the needed include file can be found neither in the explicitly
> > requested directories nor in the cross-compiler's default includes,
> > it will silently search the host /usr/include directories.
>
> This is either a bug in the version that you're using, a wrongly installed
> compiled or simply wrong -I directives passed to the compiler.  The
> crosscompiler rpms as distributed on oss will only search:
>
>  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/mips-linux/egcs-2.91.66/include
>  /usr/mips-linux/include
>
> by default.  I just tried, egcs-1.1.2-2 also doesn't search silently in
> other directories.  So it's not a problem of gcc itself which leaves the
> makefiles.  If you find any instance of the wrong directories being
> searched, please tell me.  Or better, include a patch :-)
>
>   Ralf

Hello Ralf,

I managed to pass that stage with crosscompiler.
I managed to make the following thing
make CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-

and I get the follwing error.

mips-linux-ld -static -G 0 -T arch/mips/ld.script.big -Ttext 0x80100000
arch/mip
        --start-group \
        arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o arch/mips/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o
fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o arch/mips/fpu_emulator/fpu_emulator.o \
        fs/filesystems.a \
        net/network.a \
        drivers/block/block.a drivers/char/char.a drivers/misc/misc.a
drivers/net/net.a drivers/scsi/scsi.a drivers/pci/pci.a \
        arch/mips/lib/lib.a /home/nicu/linux/lib/lib.a
arch/mips/atlas/kernel/atlaskern.a arch/mips/atlas/prom/atlasprom.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o: In function `__compute_return_epc':
branch.c(__ksymtab+0x70): undefined reference to `__mips_bh_counter'
drivers/net/net.a(8390.o): In function `ei_start_xmit':
8390.c(.text+0x304): undefined reference to `disable_irq_nosync'
8390.c(.text+0x304): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_26
disable_irq_nosync
8390.c(.text+0x3a0): undefined reference to `disable_irq_nosync'
8390.c(.text+0x3a0): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_26
disable_irq_nosync
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Best Regards,
Nicu

---

From: Nicu Popovici <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:45:36 -0500

Hello,

I am very sorry if I bothered any of you so please excuse me . It  will
not happen again.

Nicu

Ralf Baechle wrote:

> This was a _warning_ only, no need to resend.
>
>   Ralf