Subject: RE: I'm stuck...

From: Calvine Chew <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:20:15 +0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Klaus Naumann [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 5:30 AM
> To: Calvine Chew
> Cc: [email-masked]'
> Subject: RE: I'm stuck...
> 
> 
> [snipped verbose message]
> 
> Calvine, what I'm asking myself is, if the box actually has connection
> to the net. Becuase if you don't get a single packet out on bootp time
> then something really is broken. So please try to check in any way if
> the box has netconn - does it have an AUI ? Some SGI systems seem
> to use that as first ethernet adapter and have problems with it ...
> 
Well, the good news is I've finally gotten my Indy to see my boot server.
When testing outgoing packets by configuring both server and client to the
SGI network, I discovered that my 2nd PCMCIA port, for some reason doesn't
configure any PCMCIA cards properly (same thing happened to my SCSI card,
but
I thought it was an isolated incident). Switching to the 1st port made 
everything work.

Unfortunately tftp isn't working. I have it configured using in.tftpd 
wrapped to tcpd, but when the Indy tries to get the bootfile, it says
"TFTP error: File not found (code 1)". The boopd does respond with the
seemingly correct messages but I am not sure if in.tftpd is working
or not. I have bootpd running on standalone (non-inetd) mode because
in.bootpd didn't work too. However I don't have tftpd. *groan*

Have to look into that later...

PS, Scott, I'm not using DHCP, but bootpd. Do I still need to configure
dhcp too? I assume that subnet entry excerpt is from dhcpd.conf?

--
Calvine Chew, Technical Consultant
Technology & Industry Consulting Group (Asia South), SGI.
***************************************************************
Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras, omnem crede diem tibi
diluxisse supremum: grata superveniet quae sperabitur hora.
http://www.cyberjunkie.com/arcana
***************************************************************

---

From: Calvine Chew <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:33:59 +0800

Hi Klaus and Scott.

Got tftp to work... damn! Linux in.tftpd didn't like the "-s" flag in
inetd.conf. Once that was gone, the HardHat install fired up!

Thanks all!!

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Calvine Chew wrote:
> 
> > Hi Klaus...
> > 
> > I would have installed RedHat 6.2 (like a trueblue SGI-man :-) but
> > the boot kernel hits the PC Card Services hang on installation.
> > SuSE 6.4 doesn't, hooked up my ethernet/modem and scsi 
> cards beautifully.
> 
> It's ok - I was just kiddin' because it's known that I'm not a big fan
> of the SuSE distribution for several reasons - but I'm far away from
> wanting to start a distro war here. So to make it clear I really was
> joking.
> 
> 			HTH, Klaus
> Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
> Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network
> Phone / FAX : ++49/177/7862964  | E-Mail: ([email-masked])
> PGP Key     : www.mgnet.de/keys/key_spock.txt
>