Subject: Re: Kernel Boot Hard Locks Indigo 2

From: Ian Chilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:17:30 +0000

Hello,

> Mr. Chilton,

Ian!

> Thank you so much for your help.

No problem!

>  I believe I need an ecoff version of the
> kernel (not sure exactly what that means--forgive me)

I am not too sure either...all I know is some proms require this
doing...

I don't have any ecoff kernels handy, but hope to upload some soon..

> PROM Monitor SGI Version 5.1 Rev B IP22 Sep 16, 1993 (BE)

Not sure, Ralf will be able to tell you what's the score with that..

Bye for Now,

Ian

                                \|||/ 
                                (o o)
 /---------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------\
 |  Ian Chilton        (IRC Nick - GadgetMan)     ICQ #: 16007717  |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
 |  E-Mail: [email-masked]     Web: http://www.ichilton.co.uk  |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
 |       Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk?         |
 \-----------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:26:40 -0800

> I am not too sure either...all I know is some proms require this

PROMs older than a certain date (which may be sometime in 1995)
require ECOFF kernels because they are incapable of understanding ELF.
The symptom is mentioned in the FAQ.  This seems to happen with most
if not all Indigo2s and a few older Indys.

> Not sure, Ralf will be able to tell you what's the score with that..

You need ECOFF.  My Indigo2 has this date also and does not understand
ELF.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 01:02:34 +0100

> You need ECOFF.  My Indigo2 has this date also and does not understand

Rule of thumb, R5k IP22 can handle ELF, pre-R5k firmware may or may not.

  Ralf