Subject: Soon I will give up on MIPS kernel!

From: Nicu Popovici <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:56:24 -0500

Hello,

As you know by now I don't succeeded to crosscompile a mips linux
kernel. I was at oss.sgi.com repository and I took the linux_2_2 tag but
when I try to compile I have this kind of errors.

 make CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-
cc -O2 -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from scripts/split-include.c:26:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:32: warning: `ECANCELED' redefined
/usr/include/asm/errno.h:139: warning: this is the location of the
previous d
efinition
scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
mips-linux-gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include -Wall
-Wstrict-p
rototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer  -G 0 -mno-abicalls -fno-pic
-mcpu=r3000 -
mips1 -pipe  -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function `atomic_add':
In file included from /usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/linux/fs.h:22,
                 from /usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/linux/mm.h:4,
                 from /usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/linux/slab.h:14,
                 from /usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/linux/malloc.h:4,
                 from /usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,
                 from init/main.c:15:
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:46: invalid operands to
binary +
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function `atomic_sub':
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:55: invalid operands to
binary -
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function `atomic_or':
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:64: invalid operands to
binary |
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function `atomic_and':
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:73: invalid operands to
binary &
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function
`atomic_add_return':/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:82:
incompatible types in assignment
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:84: incompatible types in
assignment
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function
`atomic_sub_return':/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:95:
incompatible types in assignment
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:97: incompatible types in
assignment
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function
`atomic_or_return':
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:107: incompatible types in
assignment
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:109: incompatible types in
assignment
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h: In function
`atomic_and_return':/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:120:
incompatible types in assignment
/usr/src/linux_2_2_CVS/include/asm/atomic.h:122: incompatible types in
assignment
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

The steps that I did are :
1. made a linux symlink to linux_2_2_CVS
2. make menuconfig while I am in /usr/src/linux directory
3. make dep CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-
4. make CROSS_COMPILE=mips-linux-

I want to manage to crosscompile this kernel on a i686 machine for a
mips machine. So I saw there that it says something  about
/usr/include/asm  which is for my i686 machine. I guess that the errors
come from here. Can you tell me what I have to do. I have to mention
that I can crosscompile user application and then I can run tha result
on mips and it works.

Thanks,

Nicu

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:39:52 -0800

> 1. made a linux symlink to linux_2_2_CVS

There is absolutely no reason to do this. In fact, it's death. Put the
kernel sources in your home directory or a scratch area. Leave
everything in /usr/src as it was when you installed your system.

> come from here. Can you tell me what I have to do. I have to mention

Yep. Just...don't do that. /usr/src/linux is for your native sources
and headers. Do not cross-build kernels in /usr/src, ever.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator