Subject: Kernel Boot Hard Locks Indigo 2

From: Jesse Dyson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:35:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have an Indigo 2 which I am trying to load the debian linux port (or any
port that will work actually).  I have been able to successfully configure
BOOTP,TFTP, and NFS so that the machine will boot with BOOTP (per
http://oss.sgi.com/mips/i2-howto.html).  However, after the kernel has
loaded (I assume into RAM from the image--sorry newbie), the machine hard
locks.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Thanks,
Jesse Dyson

---

From: Ian Chilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:17:09 +0000

Hello,

> However, after the kernel has loaded the machine hard locks.

Where did you get the kernel from?

We have a known issue with the CVS versions of GCC....it seems that
when you compile a 2.4 kernel with this, it works on the Indy, but
won't boot on the I2...it hangs when initialising the serial console.

Compiling the same kernel with egcs-1.1.2 works OK on both the Indy and
I2...

You can get known working kernels for the Indy and I2 in:

ftp://download.ichilton.co.uk/pub/ichilton/linux-mips/kernels)
(or  http://download.ichilton.co.uk/linux-mips/kernels/)

For 2.2.14, there are separate kernels for the I2 and Indy (the I2 one
has EISA enabled).

For 2.4-test11, the same kernel works on both.

Bye for Now,

Ian

                                \|||/
                                (o o)
 /---------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------\
 |  Ian Chilton        (IRC Nick - GadgetMan)     ICQ #: 16007717  |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
 |  E-Mail: [email-masked]     Web: http://www.ichilton.co.uk  |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
 |        Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.         |
 \-----------------------------------------------------------------/