Subject: Can you help me?

From: "Zheng Baojian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:45:17 +0800

Hello:
     I'm a Chinese student,i want to run linux on SGI O2 workstation.
I see that O2 not support linux now on your web,can you tell me the
reason?As series of SGI workstations,O2,Indy,Onyx ,Origin,they have same
architecture,same cpu,why others support linux,O2 not support.
        Best regards.
Bjzheng

---

From: Mark Lehrer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:39:36 -0700

Does this kind of message violate any RFC's or anything?  I can't read
it in emacs.  I am disturbed at how MS mail readers only use MIME types
and don't include plain text.

Mark

   ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C04D5E.CFC1C0E0
   Content-Type: text/plain;
	   charset="gb2312"
   Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

   SGVsbG86DQogICAgIEknbSBhIENoaW5lc2Ugc3R1ZGVudCxpIHdhbnQgdG8gcnVuIGxpbnV4IG9u
   IFNHSSBPMiB3b3Jrc3RhdGlvbi4NCkkgc2VlIHRoYXQgTzIgbm90IHN1cHBvcnQgbGludXggbm93
   IG9uIHlvdXIgd2ViLGNhbiB5b3UgdGVsbCBtZSB0aGUNCnJlYXNvbj9BcyBzZXJpZXMgb2YgU0dJ
   IHdvcmtzdGF0aW9ucyxPMixJbmR5LE9ueXggLE9yaWdpbix0aGV5IGhhdmUgc2FtZQ0KYXJjaGl0
   ZWN0dXJlLHNhbWUgY3B1LHdoeSBvdGhlcnMgc3VwcG9ydCBsaW51eCxPMiBub3Qgc3VwcG9ydC4N
   CiAgICAgICAgQmVzdCByZWdhcmRzLg0KQmp6aGVuZw0K

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:16:38 -0800

> architecture,same cpu,why others support linux,O2 not support.

Harald Koerfgen and I (at least) have done some work on O2 and I can
verify that it has at one point booted to userland (I no longer have
the machine and thus do not know the status).  To say that an O2 has
the same architecture as the other machines you mention, however, is
an oversimplification at best; these machines have numerous
differences (no two use the same bus type/controller), and afaik Onyx
is not and never has been supported.  In fact, these machines don't
even have the same CPUs; the r5ks used in O2 have different caches
than those used in Indys, and the r10k O2s are another mess
altogether.  Welcome to the wonderful world of MIPS; 86 million
machines, no two remotely similar.

The NetBSD people have also done some work in this area.  Between
their work, the Irix headers - look but don't copy, and the existing
Linux work - for which you might ask Harald if you are interested in
improving it - it's possible to get a reasonably working kernel for
r5k O2.  More advanced work such as accelerated X and a driver for the
built-in ethernet will most likely require additional documentation.

The short answer, of course, is that nobody has ever had concurrent
interest, free time, and access to hardware for a sufficient length of
time.

Please use plain text in the future.  I recommend non-Microsoft mailers.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu
Chemistry Department Systems and Network Administrator

---

From: Wichert Akkerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:14:54 +0100

> and don't include plain text.

Your emacs is broken then, it was a multipart/alternative message
with one plan in our standard character set and the other in gb2312.
mutt shows it just fine.

Wichert.

-- 
   ________________________________________________________________
 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| [email-masked]                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |
| 1024D/2FA3BC2D 576E 100B 518D 2F16 36B0  2805 3CB8 9250 2FA3 BC2D |