Subject: Re: Update readelf to know about the new ELF constants

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:06:19 +0100

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 12:20:28PM -0800, H . J . Lu wrote:

>      EM_MIPS_RS3_LE    10		MIPS RS3000 Little-endian

I don't know where you got this constant's name from, it's name is
EM_MIPS_RS4_BE (MIPS R4000 big endian) in all literature and header files
I've seen.  RS3000 series from MIPS was a workstation series of the former
Mips Computer Systems, Inc.  not a processor.

The constant is probably no longer in use - if it ever has been. it's only
use I've ever seen is in tools that read ELF but never in tools that write
ELF or in existing ELF files.

Cc'ed to the Linux/MIPS mailing lists; maybe the oldtimers there can comment.

  Ralf

---

From: Ulrich Drepper <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Nov 2000 12:46:08 -0800

> Mips Computer Systems, Inc.  not a processor.

This is the name in the current ABI specs.  If it's changed then on
request of somebody who registered it.

-- 
---------------.                          ,-.   1325 Chesapeake Terrace
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  Sunnyvale, CA 94089 USA
Red Hat          `--' drepper at redhat.com   `------------------------

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:10:58 +0100 (MET)

> request of somebody who registered it.

 Well, I would only add the name should probably be EM_MIPS_R3_LE (and
ditto the comment).  We might actually use it for mipsel-linux especially
as the ABI explicitly states EM_MIPS is for big endian machines but I'm
not sure it's worth bothering as the endianness is specified
independently.  I believe all software involved should handle it well -- I
recall Linux, glibc, binutils, modutils all handle both tags fine.  It's
just BFD that does not generate EM_MIPS_R3_LE. 

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +