Subject: Problem finding the right docs

From: Dirk Moerenhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:56:04 +0100 (CET)

I have an Indy on my desk which has a 1GB disk with an inaccessible IRIX
on it (whomever installed it is not around anymore and we know of no
accounts which we can use to login :-) ). I have a CD-ROM that supposed to
be connectable to it but the cable went missing. Now I don't want want the
poor thing to stay there as it is now.

I've been looking for documentation that can tell me how to install using
netboot but I can't seem to find any (The FAQ gets mentioned a few times
on some places but never with link so it's a mystery to me where it is).

Is it possible to revive the thing booting it over the network without
having a CD-ROM drive? If so, does anybody know where I could find some
docs on it? Doesn't need to be a step by step explanation but anything is
better than nothing.

If it's not possible to do it using netboot, is it when I would get a
usable cable for the CD-ROM or do I need an accessible IRIX on the
thing?

If needed I can setup a cross compiler, download several GB, ... I just
need to know where to start.

If I get the Indy going I'll probably decide to play with Linux on 2
Challenge S's we're going to dump in the next few months.

Sorry if this question is answered in the FAQ but during the time I
checked sites I only saw "Read the FAQ" but never where it is :-)

Dirk Moerenhout ///// System Administrator ///// Planet Internet NV

---

From: Klaus Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:00:08 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Dirk Moerenhout wrote:

The HOWTO is at http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html .
Also take a look at my Indigo2 HOWTO - it also covers other systems -
at http://oss.sgi.com/mips/i2-howto.html .

If you then still have questions feel free to ask.

		Klaus

-- 
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network
Phone / FAX : ++49/177/7862964  | E-Mail: ([email-masked])
PGP Key     : www.mgnet.de/keys/key_spock.txt