Subject: Linux/MIPS on quad-R4400 Challenge L

From: Pete Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:16:31 +1300

Hi there,

I happen to have acquired a quad-R4400 SGI Challenge-L server.

It's big, it's black, and it seems to run OK.

Is there any support in Linux/MIPS for a beast like this?

Its currently running IRIX 6.5.9 quite happily, but i'd much rather run
Linux, since then i have a standard OS across all my machines, and no hefty
SGI taxes to pay.

>From what i read on the FAQs, the Multi-processor versions of the R4400 are
not supported.. will there ever be a time when Linux/MIPS will run on a
machin elike this, or am i stuck with IRIX for the rest of this machine's
life?

Thanks

-Pete

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:48:44 +0100

> Is there any support in Linux/MIPS for a beast like this?

The Challenge L isn't supported.

> machin elike this, or am i stuck with IRIX for the rest of this machine's

Standard approach - send me a Challenge L and hardware docs with permission
to publish code based on it and we can solve your problem :-)

  Ralf