Subject: memory hog

From: "James McD" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:10:56

I have an SGI INDY r4600 133 with 64 megs of ram and a 1 gig drive. I have 
simple linux and the 2.4test9 kernel running on it. Thank you for the advice 
on getting it booting from the hard drive btw Guido!
   Here is my dilema. It has nothing running other than standard services 
ie. login, networking. No web server, none of the goodies yet, and I am 
consuming 60 out of my 64 megs of available ram. I do not even have X 
installed yet. I know 64 megs isnt alot, but it seems to be quite a high 
consumption for no services being run. Please let me know if anybody knows 
if an SGI handles memory differently, or if I should just get more and quit 
whining.

Thanks,

James McDermott
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:47:06 +0100

> if an SGI handles memory differently, or if I should just get more and quit 

That's a classic one - Linux uses most of it's `free' memory as disk cache,
so it doesn't show up as `free' in the free output.

  Ralf