Subject: Buying an old SGI machine.

From: "Luke A. Guest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:24:08 +0000

Hi,

I'm new to the list and have been looking to buy an old SGI machine, for 
development purposes. This means that I would be looking for a machine that 
has a decent compile time, also, I want to play around with OpenGL, so decent 
graphics is a must.

Now, I read in the archives some time ago that somebody knew of a place he 
could get O2's (in Germany) for around $600; I don't know if this is true - 
or just SPAM - but could that person get in touch with me please?

Anyway, I have been looking at the purple Indigo2 as these seem to really 
cheap machines and rather expandable, but I can never seem to find anyone who 
is selling Irix media - why is this?

I know that Linux doesn't work with I2's yet, but I'm also willing to "try" 
to work on helping with that, as I'm currently looking into OS concepts on my 
PC, so knowledge of other architecture's would be helpful.

But how would I get access to documentation for I2's? I see (do far) that the 
docs aren't available yet, what would I have to do?

Thanks,
Luke A. Guest.

---

From: [email-masked] (H.Heinold)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:35:45 +0100

> has a decent compile time, also, I want to play around with OpenGL, so decent 

For the I2 series the specs for the graphics cars are lost. X is only 
supported for the indys, please read the archieve.

> or just SPAM - but could that person get in touch with me please?

$600 are around DM1200 for this money you get an indigo2 but not an O2.

> is selling Irix media - why is this?

A purple Indigo2 stands in front of me. You got Irix installations media
when ypu buy a new machine or take in an auction of ebay.

> PC, so knowledge of other architecture's would be helpful.

False Linux runs on Iindigo2 but not not on O2, please read the archieve of
the ml.

> docs aren't available yet, what would I have to do?

Read the archieve of ml and ask the guys at sgi.

-- 

Henning Heinold