Subject: Re: patches for dvhtool

From: Ian Chilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:52:27 +0000

Hello,

> BTW: Is there any way of deleteing/renaming files in the
> volume-header-directory ? Is there a way to set "bootfile" ?

You could do what I do with my tftp boot directory.

Bootp or whatever points to vmlinux-hostname.

vmlinux-hostname is a symlink to a kernel.

Changing kernels is just a matter of changing the symlink.

Also, because I have multiple arch's, I put the kernels in subdirs too:

[ian@slinky:~]$ ls -l /export/tftpboot/
total 16
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           23 Jan  6 16:34 192.168.0.21 ->
../javastation/iclinux/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Jan  4 18:48 C0A8000E.SUN4M
-> sparc/tftpboot.img
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Jan  4 18:03 C0A8000F.SUN4C
-> sparc/tftpboot.img
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           24 Jan  4 23:31 C0A80012.SUN4M
-> sparc/vmlinux-2.4-test12
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           14 Jan  2 18:54 C0A80015 ->
C0A80015.SUN4M
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           36 Jan  4 17:29 C0A80015.PROL ->
javastation/vmlinux-2.4-test12-sparc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           11 Jan  2 18:42 C0A80015.SUN4M
-> proll.krups
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 Jan  4 23:20 javastation
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 Jan 17 13:10 mips
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           28 Jan  4 17:32 proll.krups ->
javastation/proll.krups.ID13
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 Jan  6 13:21 sparc
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         4096 Jan 16 19:24 tmp
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           29 Jan 16 19:25 vmlinux-chip ->
mips/vmlinux-010116-IP22-4400
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           30 Jan 17 13:11 vmlinux-dale ->
mips/vmlinux-010117-IP22-DEBUG

Bye for Now,

Ian

                                \|||/
                                (o o)
 /---------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------\
 |  Ian Chilton        (IRC Nick - GadgetMan)     ICQ #: 16007717  |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
 |  E-Mail: [email-masked]     Web: http://www.ichilton.co.uk  |
 |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
 |        Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.         |
 \-----------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:08:10 +0100

> Changing kernels is just a matter of changing the symlink.

I do that for a couple of years now for all architectures capable
of netbooting - Nothing new. But as you could read up there
i asked something completely different. I want to boot of DISK !
And i asked questions about dvhtool not tftp and symlinks.

Not my day ...
Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
     Why is it called "common sense" when nobody seems to have any?

---

From: Ian Chilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:16:21 +0000

Hello,

> Nothing new. But as you could read up there

I know!

What I said (or ment to say..) was could you do a similar thing as....

Sorry for the confusion..

Bye for Now,

Ian

                                \|||/ 
                                (o o)
 |         Budget: A method for going broke methodically.          |