Subject: Trying to boot an Indy

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:01:15 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
  I'm trying to boot my Indy into Linux for the first time and not having
any luck.

1) I tried bootp - bootp()vmlinux - it says 'no server for vmlinux'.  The
bootp server is a Linux/Alpha box running 2.4.0-ac9 - I've already done
the trick with no_pmtu.  tcpdump shows bootp sending a packet with
apparently the correct mac address.

2) So I ftp'd the file over under Irix, gzip -d'd it and then rebooted and
from sash did boot indyvmlinux - this immediatly after starting gave
'Exception: <vector=UTLB Miss>' plus details (available on request).
(This is kernel vmlinux=001027-test9-r4x00.gz off
download.ichilton.co.uk/pub/ichilton/linux-mips/kernels).

This is an Indy R4600PC with 64MB RAM.

Ideas appreciated.

Dave

P.S. I've got a lead wired here to do the 13w3 but it doesn't seem to be
spot on - I don't get any green, but it is sync'd - this is going to an
Iiyama 8617 (original 17") monitor. Ideas on that would also be
appreciated.

-- 
 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------   
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running GNU/Linux on m68k, |  Happy  \ 
\   gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |  Alpha, x86, ARM and SPARC |  In Hex /
 \ ___________________________|___ http://www.treblig.org  |________/

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:37:21 -0200

> This is an Indy R4600PC with 64MB RAM.

You may have become a victim of a sash bug which makes the firmware report
used memory as free memory and in the end results in the kernel overwriting
itself.  The solution is easy; don't use sash.  This means you either
have to boot the kernel via ``bootp() -f ...'' from the network or you
use IRIX's dvhtool to write it into the volume header, then boot it from
the kernel prompt by just entering the kernel name.

  Ralf

---

From: Dave Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:27:12 +0000 (GMT)

> the kernel prompt by just entering the kernel name.

Well the bootp() stuff still won't respond so that is out, and dvhtool is
saying there isn't enough room for my linux image. Hmph.

Running bootpc under Irix seems to give sensible results.

Is there any other mechanism for loading other than bootp ?

Dave

--

---

From: Christoph Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2001 17:11:44 +0100

> apparently the correct mac address.

I have the same problem serving bootp from my i386 2.4.0 box. bootp
with kernel 2.2.x on the same box works. And it is only the bootp from
the command console that is failing. the bootp part later on in the
kernel is working from the 2.4.0 box.

Weird.

-- 
============================================================================
Christoph Martin, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  [email-masked]
--------------export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-3-lines-PERL------------------
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)
#what's this? see http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/

---

From: "Dr. David Gilbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:34:39 +0000 (GMT)

> kernel is working from the 2.4.0 box.

This sprang into life when I added the 'sa' entry in the bootp file - that
is the server address.

Dave

-- 
/------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Work:[email-masked] +44-161-286-2000 Ex258|
| -------- G7FHJ --------|---------------------------------------- |
| Home: [email-masked]            http://www.treblig.org         |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:02:51 -0800

> kernel is working from the 2.4.0 box.

Not weired at all.  The firmware bootp()... does bootp and then uses tftp
to download the kernel; the kernel then only uses bootp to figure out it's
network configuration.  So the two are not only doing different things,
they're also two are not only two independant and completly different
implementations.

  Ralf

---

From: Wills <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:23:30 +0000 (GMT)

> This sprang into life when I added the 'sa' entry in the bootp file - that

  I have a new set of IP addresses, new (2.2.18) kernel, new nfs
server utilities (all together, unfortunately) since my Indy last
spoke sanely to my intel linux box; neither the 'sa' bootptab entry
nor /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc content tips have any evident
effect - ie. I will see "Setting $netaddr...", but the "obtaining
[...]" ticker no longer appears. I am eventually told, variously,
"netaddr may be set incorrectly or network too busy" or "unable to
execute bootp():vmlinux"

:(
	Wills.