Subject: Loading srec imagine problem.

From: Nicu Popovici <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:12:02 -0500

Hello ,

I have now the following cross toolchain
binutils 2.10.1 - egcs.1.0.3a - glibc-2.0.6.

I manage to cross compile the kernel for mips and when I try to load the
srec imagine on the mips I get the following error.

For this srec imagine I used mips-linux-objcopy -O srec vmlinux
srecimagine.

****************************  Exception occurred
****************************

TLB exception (store)

CAUSE    = 0x8080000c
STATUS   = 0x00000403      EPC      = 0x80024a0c
BADVADDR = 0x000036e0      ERROREPC = 0x800131f0

$ 0(zr):0x00000000  $ 8(t0):0x00000081  $16(s0):0x80060000
$24(t8):0x80030f68
$ 1(at):0x00000000  $ 9(t1):0x80026178  $17(s1):0x80060f80
$25(t9):0x00000009
$ 2(v0):0x000036e0  $10(t2):0x00000000  $18(s2):0x0000003a
$26(k0):0x00000000
$ 3(v1):0x00000000  $11(t3):0x80108390  $19(s3):0x80032bd8
$27(k1):0x00000000
$ 4(a0):0x000036e4  $12(t4):0x80020000  $20(s4):0x0000d004
$28(gp):0x80037b98
$ 5(a1):0x80060ec4  $13(t5):0x00000081  $21(s5):0x00000002
$29(sp):0x80060e50
$ 6(a2):0x00000010  $14(t6):0x00000080  $22(s6):0x00000002
$30(s8):0x80030000
$ 7(a3):0x80060ed0  $15(t7):0x80026178  $23(s7):0x80030f68
$31(ra):0x8001f57c
***************************************************************************

What am I doing wrong here ?

Regards,
Nicu

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:09:30 +0100

> For this srec imagine I used mips-linux-objcopy -O srec vmlinux

Wouldnt this use the original load address of the vmlinux as the srec
address ? Wouldnt this mean you are probably overwriting your monitor
while loading the srec ? Ususally you would load the image via srec to
a different location with a small copy and run type code in front.

Without a memory map etc one cant help here ...

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
     Why is it called "common sense" when nobody seems to have any?

---

From: Nicu Popovici <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:44:52 -0500

Hello ,

> a different location with a small copy and run type code in front.

I do not know if this is the problem. I made objdump on this srec imagine and
it looks like the sections begin somewhere below 0x80100000 address and for
the srec imagine ( the one that I can load on ) the sections begin after
0x8010000 address. So the problem is here , something with setting the write
address for this srec imagine. Maybe from objcopy ( but I do not think so )
or from linker.

Nicu