Subject: Linux/Indy HOWTO

From: Brandon Barker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:54:05 -0500

Will there be a SGI/Linux Install HOWTO especially pertaining to the Indy.  I 
have an Indy, but I do not own IRIX, and I can't find any instructions in the 
current howto because it is not meant to be an install HOWTO.  I have also 
heard rumors that SGI eventually plans to drop MIPS/IRIX all togethor and 
that they never plan on offering Linux as a viable OS to it's MIPS systems.  
Am I correct?

Brandon Barker

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 23:27:13 -0800

> that they never plan on offering Linux as a viable OS to it's MIPS systems.  

IRIX will exist as long as SGI supports their MIPS systems, that is for
many years to come.  Linux as OS is only planned for the yet to be released
IA64 systems.  That's all stuff for their public press releases and not
for this list ...

  Ralf

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:15:15 -0800

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:54:05PM -0500, Brandon Barker wrote:

> Will there be a SGI/Linux Install HOWTO especially pertaining to the
> Indy.  I have an Indy, but I do not own IRIX, and I can't find any
> instructions in the current howto because it is not meant to be an
> install HOWTO.

There are several documents pertaining to installing various Linux
distributions on an Indy.  You should probably start with
http://oss.sgi.com/mips/i2-howto.html, which applies to Indy as well.
If you want to use Simple, start at the newly reanimated
http://foobazco.org/~wesolows/Install-HOWTO.html.  For Hard Hat, there
is an Indy-specific document at http://www.linux.sgi.com/manhattan/.
In short, a quick google search and/or the FAQ are more than adequate
to get you started.

> I have also heard rumors that SGI eventually plans to drop MIPS/IRIX
> all togethor and that they never plan on offering Linux as a viable
> OS to it's MIPS systems.

*sigh* This really should go in the FAQ.  Expect to see IRIX die at
about the same time the flying monkeys on the moon overthrow Earth by
hurling a giant wad of dung at us with their catapult.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski			[email-masked]