Subject: Re: strace package

From: Wichert Akkerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:33:46 +0100

Previously Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>  Well, here is most of the information available from the site...
> 
>                  Welcome to http://strace.sourceforge.net/
> 
>       We're Sorry but this Project hasn't yet uploaded their personal
>                                 webpage yet.
>           Please check back soon for updates or visit SourceForge

Hmm, I guess I should fix that :)

I've started looking at strace again after not having had any time for
it in a while, and strace 4.3 should appear in a week or so. If there
are any problems with the MIPS support now is the time to tell me.
I'm especially interesting in strace reporting umoven() errors while
tracing a program.

Wichert.

-- 
  _________________________________________________________________
 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| [email-masked]                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |
| 1024D/2FA3BC2D 576E 100B 518D 2F16 36B0  2805 3CB8 9250 2FA3 BC2D |

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:37:03 +0100

> I'm especially interesting in strace reporting umoven() errors while

Conincidentally I today built strace-cvs for MIPS before receiving your
message and found it to be working just fine.  The only bug which my
last several month old build from an older snapshot doesn't have is
that syscall 4129 (from memory, number may be incorrect) gets decoded
as a syscall with very many arguments (~ 20).  Will have to look into
it.

  Ralf

---

From: Wichert Akkerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:41:21 +0100

Previously Ralf Baechle wrote:
> message and found it to be working just fine.

Good!

> The only bug which my last several month old build from an older
> snapshot doesn't have is that syscall 4129 (from memory, number may be
> incorrect) gets decoded as a syscall with very many arguments (~ 20).

Hmm, 4129 is delete_module, which is handled exactly like sys_chdir
(syscal with one string argument). Looking at the syscall table I
can't find any syscall with that many argument, the highest number
I can find is 6 (mmap, recvfrom and sendto).

Wichert.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:37:44 +0200

> > message and found it to be working just fine.

I wonder whether it is my sillines, or something is wrong with strace or
my mips tools. Checked out clean version from
cvs.strace.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/strace, run configure "NATIVELY" on
mips32 system and got a whole bunch of errors on strace.c :

gcc -Wall -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I. -Ilinux/mips -I./linux/mips -Ilinux
-I./linux -D_GNU_SOURCE  -c syscall.c
syscall.c: In function `sys_sysmips':
syscall.c:103: parameter `sysent0' is initialized
syscall.c:106: parameter `nsyscalls0' is initialized
syscall.c:132: parameter `errnoent0' is initialized
In file included from syscall.c:133:
linux/mips/errnoent.h:1: warning: initialization from incompatible
pointer type linux/mips/errnoent.h:2: warning: excess elements in scalar
initializer after `errnoent0'
linux/mips/errnoent.h:3: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
after `errnoent0'
linux/mips/errnoent.h:4: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
after `errnoent0'
linux/mips/errnoent.h:5: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
after `errnoent0'
linux/mips/errnoent.h:6: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
after `errnoent0'
... < aroud 1000 errors like these >
syscall.c:135: parameter `nerrnos0' is initialized
syscall.c:158: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
syscall.c:158: parse error before `int'
syscall.c:158: declaration for parameter `set_personality' but no such
parameter
syscall.c:154: declaration for parameter `current_personality' but no
such parameter
syscall.c:152: declaration for parameter `nerrnos' but no such parameter
syscall.c:151: declaration for parameter `errnoent' but no such
parameter
syscall.c:135: declaration for parameter `nerrnos0' but no such
parameter
syscall.c:132: declaration for parameter `errnoent0' but no such
parameter
syscall.c:123: declaration for parameter `nsyscalls' but no such
parameter
syscall.c:122: declaration for parameter `sysent' but no such parameter
syscall.c:106: declaration for parameter `nsyscalls0' but no such
parameter
syscall.c:103: declaration for parameter `sysent0' but no such parameter
linux/syscall.h:183: declaration for parameter `sys_capset' but no such
parameter
linux/syscall.h:183: declaration for parameter `sys_capget' but no such
parameter
linux/syscall.h:182: declaration for parameter `sys_utimes' but no such
parameter
linux/syscall.h:182: declaration for parameter `sys_getdtablesize' but
no such parameter
linux/syscall.h:182: declaration for parameter `sys_gethostname' but no
such parameter
linux/syscall.h:182: declaration for parameter `sys_setpgrp' but no such
parameter
syscall.c:160: `personality' undeclared (first use this function)
syscall.c:160: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
syscall.c:160: for each function it appears in.)

Here's the info:
[michaels@verdi strace]$ gcc --version
egcs-2.90.27 980315 (egcs-1.0.2
release)                                        
[michaels@verdi strace]$ rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.0.6-4                                                                   
[michaels@verdi strace]$ uname -a
Linux verdi.home.krftech.com 2.2.12-MIPS-01.05 #1 Thu Sep 7 11:36:42
CEST 2000 mips unknown 
[michaels@verdi strace]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu                     : MIPS
cpu model               : MIPS 5Kc V0.1
system type             : unknown unknown
BogoMIPS                : 39.94
byteorder               : big endian
unaligned accesses      : 0
wait instruction        : no
microsecond timers      : no
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not
available                                         

Exactly same code compiles on i386 silently and clean.
Audience, please, what seems to be my problem?

Sincerely yours,
Michael Shmulevich
______________________________________
Software Developer
Jungo - R&D 
email: [email-masked]
web: http://www.jungo.com
Phone: 1-877-514-0537(USA)  +972-9-8859365(Worldwide) ext. 233
Fax:   1-877-514-0538(USA)  +972-9-8859366(Worldwide)

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:25:49 +0100

> Audience, please, what seems to be my problem?

I've used glibc 2.1.95.

  Ralf