Subject: sync plea

From: Jim Freeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:07:11 -0700

I have a farm of MIPS, PPC, and IA32 machines that I need to
keep running from a common current source tree.

The recent mips update into 2.4.2pre2 (thankyouthankyouthankyou...)
has helped in this task, but the diff between any 2.4.2pre[n>=2] or
2.4.1-ac[n>=9] tree vs the MIPS cvs tree is still huge, and painful
to cull through to wind up with a sane mips patch (should be fairly
small since the update into 2.4.2pre2) against a 2.4.*{pre*|-ac*} tree.

A sync of mips cvs to any 2.4.1{pre*|-ac*} kernel post 2.4.2pre2
would be of great use, but I don't know how much pain that entails
for the maintainers.

In lieu of that, can anyone clue me in to newbie tricks (CVS or
otherwise) for syncing 2 trees less painfully than culling diffs?

TIA,
...jfree

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:04:18 +0100

> otherwise) for syncing 2 trees less painfully than culling diffs?

Imagine, that's what we do on a daily base.  The most easy receipe to make
diffs less painfull is half a gig of RAM which brings time for diffing
two kernel trees down to ~ 2s on an Origin or decent PC.

Unfortunately Linus dropped piles of additional patches I sent to him.
That's the standard way this works, so just wait ...

  Ralf

---

From: Jim Freeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:48:24 -0700

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 06:07:11AM -0700, Jim Freeman wrote:
...
> Imagine, that's what we do on a daily base.  The most easy recipe to make
> diffs less painful is half a gig of RAM which brings time for diffing

The problem was not the mips-related changes that didn't make it into
2.4.2pre, but the non-mips changes that the mips cvs tree wasn't sync'd
to.

The merge of 2.4.2 into mips cvs will solve this - then the diff will
be just mips-related changes.

Many thanks,
...jfree