Subject: redhat 7.0

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:58:07 -0800

Has anyone tried installing 7.0 that's on oss.sgi.com?  The problem I'm
running into is that after I netboot and mount simple-0.2b as the root
fs, and install the rpm-4.0 tarball, rpm doesn't work with the
libraries, or lack of, of that root fs.  It looks like I need an fs with
a working rpm-4.0, so that I can mount my second disk somewhere and
install the 7.0 packages.  Any suggestions?

Pete

---

From: David Jez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:49:04 +0100

> install the 7.0 packages.  Any suggestions?
Yes,
If you download rpm-3.0 (I'm not sure, try get newer version) you'll should
be able to work with rpm 4 packages.

> Pete

Best regards,
Dave
-- 
-------------------------------------------------------
  David "Dave" Jez                Brno, CZ, Europe
 E-mail: [email-masked]
PGP key: finger [email-masked]
---------=[ ~EOF ]=------------------------------------

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:56:16 +0100

> be able to work with rpm 4 packages.

Oss has a tarball with statically linked rpm 4 binaries.  Use that to
convert your rpm database and then install the rpm 4 rpm package for real.

  Ralf

---

From: Pete Popov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:24:19 -0800

> convert your rpm database and then install the rpm 4 rpm package for real.

I tried that; "rpm --rebuilddb" failed because it couldn't find some
library.  I'll try again.

Pete

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:57:56 -0800

Hello,

I'm an absolutely MIPS newbie and before screwing up anything, I wanted to ask
if ever someone tried to install Linux on a Origin 200 Machine?

Chris

---

From: Mike McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:03:03 -0800

>From: [email-masked]
>Date:   Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:57:56 -0800
>Subject: Linux on Origin 200 (newbie)
>
>Hello,
>

  See the howto at http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html. :-)

  Mike McDonald
  [email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:08:03 -0500 (EST)

Yes.  It may or may not work . It does not work on my O200.
	Nick

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:12:24 +0100

> I tried that; "rpm --rebuilddb" failed because it couldn't find some

Hmm...  I know I went through the procedure when I upgraded posix0 from
5.1 to 7.0, so it's definately to get to work even though it definately
was hairy beyond Joe Average Sysadmin's skills.  Maybe you'll also have to
dump a copy of glibc into the to-be updates system or use the --root
option.  Somebody will have to figure out a reasonably easy to follow
and safe procedure here.

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:46:38 +0100

> Yes.  It may or may not work . It does not work on my O200.

Latest theory is that we have a problem which is related to different
versions of various chips of the system.  When it's actually running on
an Origin 200 / 2000 then it's also very reliable.

Aside of that the current list of open bugs for the Origin 200 / 2000 is:

 - we don't have FPU emulation code
 - the performance of the ioc3-eth driver is weak to say the least
 - ioc3-eth doesn't handle autonegotiation correctly
 - the binary compatibility code for running 32-bit apps is less than perfect.
 - we crash on systems with more than 64 processors.  Yes dudes, that's
   tested on real world hardware :-)

  Ralf