Subject: strace sysmips support (was: Re: [FIX] sysmips(MIPS_ATMIC_SET, ...) ret_from_sys_call vs. o32_ret_from_sys_call)

From: Wichert Akkerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:11:30 +0100

Previously Florian Lohoff wrote:
> From the strace i find
> 
> sysmips(0x7d1, 0x2ac95d24, 0x1, 0)      = 4149

FWIW, I've just put code in strace CVS to decode this properly. Looking
in my (stock Linus) kerneltree I noticed the sys_sysmips code assumes
it can get away with converting an int to a char*, which seems like a
wrong assumption to me..

I don't have my indy up and running at the moment, so the code is
completely untested. Feedback is welcomed :)

Wichert.

-- 
  _________________________________________________________________
 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| [email-masked]                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |
| 1024D/2FA3BC2D 576E 100B 518D 2F16 36B0  2805 3CB8 9250 2FA3 BC2D |

---

From: Can Altineller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:52:10 -0500 (EST)

Hello;

	I got an Indy 4600SC with 64Megs of memory, and I dont feel like
running Irix on it. What is the status of the sgi port port of linux. Is
there a distro available? Also, I dont have a floppy in my indy, so can I
net boot? If someone point me out in the correct way, I will be very
happy.

	Thanks.
	-C.A.

---

From: David Jez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:06:10 +0100

> net boot? If someone point me out in the correct way, I will be very
Hi,

Try download doc & faqs & tutorials & distro from:

ftp://ftp.oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips

or RedHat from:

ftp://ftp.oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat

PS: Don't worry about instalation. In directory redhat you can find Getting
started and README. Read it carefully. If you search archive of this conf. you
can find thread about netbooting Indy ( bootp():/vmlinuz ) from PROM monitor
and setting bootpd in linux boot server.
> 	-C.A.
Best Regards,
Dave

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------
  David "Dave" Jez                Brno, CZ, Europe
 E-mail: [email-masked]
PGP key: finger [email-masked]
---------=[ ~EOF ]=------------------------------------

---

From: Mike McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:26:11 -0800

>Date:   Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:06:10 +0100
>From: David Jez <[email-masked]>
>To: Can Altineller <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: newbie question.
>

  Actually, it's ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips but I can't find any
FAQs or tutorials there. http://oss.sgi.com/mips/ has some more info.
(I've heard there's a FAQ someplace but I've never found it.)

  Mike McDonald
  [email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:30:07 -0500 (EST)

www.foobazco.org is the faq I have used.
	Nick

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:41:25 +0100

> completely untested. Feedback is welcomed :)

Some versions of the kernel were simply not return anything usefull, so
the the value in $v0 stayed unchanged; 4149 is the syscall number of
sysmips(2).

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:53:55 +0100

> (I've heard there's a FAQ someplace but I've never found it.)

Write 100 times: http://oss.sgi.com/mips/mips-howto.html ;-)

  Ralf