Subject: Cross build applications

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:49:37 +0100

I'm trying to cross build a small test program on a linux PC, but it
fails.

mips-linux-gcc -o test test.c
/usr/mips-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:[email-masked]
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com

---

From: "Dr. David Gilbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:03:11 +0000 (GMT)

> /usr/mips-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

Yep - you need to obtain a copy of this - just copy it out of Linux/mips
installation and put it in one of the lib directories under your
/usr/mips-linux.

(That let me get "hello world" crossing from Linux/Alpha last week)

Dave
-- 
/------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Work:[email-masked] +44-161-286-2000 Ex258|
| -------- G7FHJ --------|---------------------------------------- |
| Home: [email-masked]            http://www.treblig.org         |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:04:04 +0100 (MET)

> /usr/mips-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

 The file is supposed to come with glibc.  Do you have glibc for
mips-linux installed?

-- 
+  Maciej W. Rozycki, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland   +
+--------------------------------------------------------------+
+        e-mail: [email-masked], PGP key available        +

---

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 16:18:10 +0100

>  The file is supposed to come with glibc.  Do you have glibc for

No, where can I get it.

---

From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:40:45 +0100 (MET)

> >  The file is supposed to come with glibc.  Do you have glibc for

 If you want glibc 2.2.1, you may get a source RPM package I made
available at 'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/'.  I make mipsel-linux
builds only, so for cross-compilation you would get a mipsel-linux-glibc
package, modify the few defines at the top (and possibly the spec file
name) and build a mips-linux-glibc binary package.  Or build it in the
traditional way.  Note the few patches I include are not MIPS-specific, so
you do not really need them unless you want them. 

 If you want a glibc 2.0 package or a binary one, then I cannot help you. 
Check the usual resources -- oss.sgi.com and ftp.rfc822.org.  Others may
provide different pointers as well. 

  Maciej

---

From: Carsten Langgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 16:51:18 +0100

Please, can anyone provide me with the right set of RPMs, so I can cross
compile a "hello-world" program on a linux PC ?

/Carsten

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:07:27 -0800

> compile a "hello-world" program on a linux PC ?

Go to ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/Area51/mips_fp_le/, and look for the following
packages for i386 host:

. binutils
. kernel-headers
. gcc 
. glibc

Install them and you are ready to go!

There are also big endian packages available.

Jun