Subject: mips-tfile

From: "Steven Liu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 04:49:28 -0800

Hi, All:

Hi, All:

I am working on cross-compiler for mips R3000 on Linux now and meet a problem in egcs.

My host system is i386 with Rad Hat 7.0 installed.

First, I successfully built and installed binutils-2.8.1 by using 
binutils-2.8.1.tar.gz and egcs-mips-linux-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm. This created 
bin, lib, mips-linux subdirectories.

Second, I installed the linux kernel source code for mips by using 
linux-2.2.14-000715.tar.gz and configured it and enabled 
CONFIG_CROSSCOMPILE.  Made soft links: let  mips-linux/include/asm 
pointd to linux-2.2.14-000715/include/asm-mips and
mips-linux/include/linux pointd to linux-2.2.14-000715/include/linux.

Third, unziped the egcs-1.1.2.tar.gz, added the patch 
egcs-mips-linux-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm and configured it as following:
     ./configure --prefix=3D/home/sliu --with-newlib --target=mips-linux
and made it this way:
     make SUBDIRS=3D"libiberty texinfo gcc" ALL_TARGET_MODULES=3D =
CONFIGURE_TARGET_MODULES=3D INSTALL_TARGET_MODULES=3D LANGUAGES=3D"c"

Then, it gave the following errors in gcc subdirectory:

xgcc: installation problem, cannot exec `mips-tfile': No such file or =
directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sliu/egcs-1.1.2/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steven

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:55:16 -0800

> bin, lib, mips-linux subdirectories.

This makes no sense...how/why did you use an rpm of egcs to build
binutils from source?  That doesn't really make any sense.  Could you
please indicate what exact files you are using and where you got them
from?  If you are applying patches, please mention those as well.

> mips-linux/include/linux pointd to linux-2.2.14-000715/include/linux.

This is not needed to build either gcc or the kernel.

> CONFIGURE_TARGET_MODULES=3D INSTALL_TARGET_MODULES=3D LANGUAGES=3D"c"

What are you doing with both an rpm and a source tarball?  An RPM is
surely not a patch.  Also, it is traditional to build gcc outside the
source directory; it's possible that that is a source of trouble.  The
random "3D" in your output there is either another source of trouble
or an artifact of your mailer; in either case it should be fixed.

If you are having trouble building a cross-toolchain, you might
consider getting make-cross from
ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/crossdev - it takes
most of the hard parts out of it.  There's also a source toolchain
there that seems to work fairly well; it compiles glibc, for example,
which no version of egcs 1.1.2 I have seen will.  Of course, if you
want to use different versions you can do that as well.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
"I should have crushed his marketing-addled skull with a fucking bat."

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:58:50 +0100

> or an artifact of your mailer; in either case it should be fixed.

quoted-unprintable.  Considered evil.

  Ralf

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 18:15:21 +0100

Looking more at this posting, a blank line has been inserted into the
headers, thereby turning some of the headers into a part of the body.
This also explains why we saw this `3D' things sprinkled all over
Steven's posting.  This is not a bug I've observed before with
MS Outlaw which Steven is using and our Majorodom also shouldn't be
guilty.  Would leave the somewhat older version of Zmailer we're running
on oss as one of the suspects.

Matti,

have you ever seen blank lines inserted like this?

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400
X-Orcpt: rfc822;[email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Content-Length: 4303
Lines: 126

Content-Type: text/plain;
        charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi, All:

Hi, All:
[...]

  Ralf