Subject: size of ioctl

From: Tom Appermont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:16:58 +0100

Howdy,

Can anybody tell me why the size of ioctl messages is limited 
to 256 bytes on mips:

include/asm-mips/ioctl.h:

...

/*
 * We to additionally limit parameters to a maximum 255 bytes.
 */
#define _IOC_SLMASK     0xff

...

I would like to see this changed because the PCMCIA software 
(cardmgr <-> driver services) needs to pass ioctl messages 
around that are a lot bigger than 256 bytes. 

Greetz,

Tom

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 04:56:52 +0100

> around that are a lot bigger than 256 bytes. 

As of today this is only historic garbage, so _IOC_SLMASK can go away.

  Ralf