Subject: Failure 2.4.2 + glibc 2.2 still illegal instruction

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:50:28 +0100

Hi,
i am still seeing illegal instruction stuff with current cvs kernel
and glibc 2.2 

Basically all glibc 2.2 compiled binary crash with illegal instruction:

resume.rfc822.org login: root
Password: 
Last login: Sat Mar 10 17:42:25 2001 on ttyS0
Linux resume.rfc822.org 2.4.2 #2 Sat Mar 10 20:37:49 CET 2001 mips unknown

Most of the programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are
freely redistributable; the exact distribution terms for each program
are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.

warning: things are broken at the moment.  Fixes in progress.
you'd be best to try again later.  :)

You have mail.
resume:~# find
[find:190] Illegal instruction 7f454c46 at 2ac9e000 ra=2ab166c4
Illegal instruction
resume:~# ls
[ls:191] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ac9688c ra=00000000
Illegal instruction
resume:~# sleep 1
[sleep:192] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ad0788c ra=00000000
Illegal instruction
resume:~# find
[find:193] Illegal instruction 7f454c46 at 2ac9e000 ra=2ab166c4
Illegal instruction
resume:~# find
[find:194] Illegal instruction 7f454c46 at 2ac9e000 ra=2ab166c4
Illegal instruction
resume:~# sleep
[sleep:195] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ad0788c ra=00000000
Illegal instruction
resume:~# sleep
[sleep:196] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ad0788c ra=00000000
Illegal instruction
resume:~# sleep
[sleep:197] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ad0788c ra=00000000
Illegal instruction
resume:~# 

strace shows that the last system call called is
"sysmips(MIPS_ATOMIC_SET, ...)"

So long

Flo
-- 
Florian Lohoff                  [email-masked]             +49-5201-669912
     Why is it called "common sense" when nobody seems to have any?

---

From: Klaus Naumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:34:00 +0100 (CET)

> i am still seeing illegal instruction stuff with current cvs kernel

I can confirm this on my Indigo2. Altough not every binary
crashes. From my dmesg:

[ls:38] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ac9388c ra=00000000
[ls:39] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ac9388c ra=00000000
[find:88] Illegal instruction 7fff7ccc at 2ac97c60 ra=2ab136c4
[find:91] Illegal instruction 00000003 at 2ac9673c ra=2ab136c4
[find:93] Illegal instruction 00000017 at 2ac97c5c ra=2ab136c4
[ls:144] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ac9388c ra=00000000
[ls:145] Illegal instruction 0100017c at 2ac9388c ra=00000000

I have also seen these things with tar and other stuff.
Anyway - Keith said that it went away after he compiled
glibc against 2.4.X (X > 1) kernel sources. Can
anyone confirm that ?

> "sysmips(MIPS_ATOMIC_SET, ...)"

I have tried building strace but failed. What is your code base ? 

		CU, Klaus

-- 
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network
Phone / FAX : ++49/177/7862964  | E-Mail: ([email-masked])
PGP Key     : www.mgnet.de/keys/key_spock.txt

---

From: Florian Lohoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:52:08 +0100

> I have tried building strace but failed. What is your code base ? 

I am still using the very old strace 3.2 from the cobalt
distribution which is aehm - complicated - as i wont decode
everything and some things even wrong.

Flo

---

From: Ralf Baechle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:49:03 +0100

> I have tried building strace but failed. What is your code base ? 

What is the sympthom?  I've tried strace from CVS on a mips64 kernel and
it works almost perfectly.

  Ralf