Subject: Re: NFSROOT filesystem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:30:57 -0800

Thanks to Henning for showing me where to get the big-endian compiled
packages and it works.   Now, I need big-endian compiled "ash".
Is anybody know where I can get it?

Thanks,

Lisa

                    [email-masked]                                                                                 
                    cottbus.de                To:     [email-masked]                                           
                    (H.Heinold)               cc:                                                                      
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: NFSROOT filesystem                                      
                    owner-linux-mips@o                                                                                 
                    ss.sgi.com                                                                                         

                    03/01/01 01:24 AM                                                                                  

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 07:00:13PM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> Hi, All
>
> For using NFS boot, I've already edited the /etc/hosts, /etc/exports to
add
> the entry for my target board.  The command line that I use in our EPROM
> based bootloader  is as follows:
>
> root=/dev/nfs rw ip=::::::rarp console=ttyS2
> nfsroot=209.243.136.151:/work/nfsroot
>
> I need to setup the NFSROOT filesystem on the server for my target board
> (which is running in Big-endian mode),  what are the steps that I have to
> do?
>
For big endian you need big endian complied packages, you can retrieve the
debian base2_2.2.tgz
under ftp.uni-mainz.de/pub/Linux/debian-local/mips, which should work fine
as nfsroot. I have some
problems with open a console beacause on Indigo2 you only have output on
the serial console.

> There is a FTP site for getting RPM packages for little endian mode:
>
>
tp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/[ig/linux/mips/mipsel-linux/RedHat-6.1/RPMS
>
> I could not find similar one for big-endian.    Can anybody give me a
> pointer to where the RPM packages reside on the web?
>
>
> Thanks,
>
No prob.

> Lisa

--

Henning Heinold

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:43:47 -0800

> > pointer to where the RPM packages reside on the web?

Lisa,

You can get either big endian or little endian NFS root fs on the following
site.  

ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/Area51/mips_fp_le
ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/Area51/mips_fp_be

Jun

---

From: Guido Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 23:57:04 +0100

> Is anybody know where I can get it?
"apt-get install ash" should download and install ash. Welcome to the
wonderfull world of debian :)
 --Guido

---

From: [email-masked] (H.Heinold)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:15:16 +0100

> ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/Area51/mips_fp_be

Hi Jun,

I looked at your site and can only find rpm's. Dont yo have an packed
nfs-root.tar.gz?

-- 

Henning Heinold

---

From: [email-masked] (H.Heinold)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:17:10 +0100

> Is anybody know where I can get it?

Hm why you need the ash? You can give the kernel the follwing via the
commandoline init=/bin/bash.
-- 

Henning Heinold

---

From: Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 07:38:30 -0800

> I looked at your site and can only find rpm's. Dont yo have an packed

For those interested, a small big-endian filesystem suitable for this
type of thing (and containing a static ash no less) is at
ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mips-linux/simple/userland-0.2b
(glibc 2.2-pre based) or
ftp://ftp.foobazco.org/pub/people/wesolows/mips-linux/userland-0.1/.

See http://foobazco.org/~wesolows/Install-HOWTO.html.

-- 
Keith M Wesolowski <[email-masked]> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------
"I should have crushed his marketing-addled skull with a fucking bat."

---

From: Jun Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:30:33 -0800

> I looked at your site and can only find rpm's. Dont yo have an packed

Unfortunately no.

Well you are welcome to create one based on those rpms. :-)  For a list of 
suggested rpms for install, you can see 

ftp://ftp.mvista.com/pub/CDK/1.2/latest/MIPS/install/ddb5476/

You only need to install *.noarch.rpm and *.i386.rpm packages.

Jun