Subject: Introduction

From: "J. Hart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 11:11:58 +0900

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself if I may.

     My name is Joseph Hart.  I work at ATR ISD Labs in Kyoto as a programmer
and research assistant to Dr. Tom Ray on the ALife program Tierra, with which
some of you may be familiar.  I have been a programmer for about thirty years,
and have worked with the Tierra project for about the last seven years.  I
finally moved to Kyoto five years ago to avoid commuting from Niagara Falls
NY....:-)

     We are currently engaged in research using the network model of Tierra.  My
responsibilities include making upgrades and bug fixes to the Tierra code,
maintaining and monitoring the Tierra network, sampling the "organisms" which
"live" on it, and providing analyses of these.

     When another department at ATR finished operations recently, they discarded
much of their equipment, and I thereby came into possession of what appears to
be a perfectly functional Indigo2 Impact 10000.  The hard drive seems to have
been formatted, so I do not have IRIX for it.  I would like to be able to set up
Linux on it if that is possible, hence my interest in your project.  I
understand that there is quite a lot of work to be done to get Linux running on
this machine, so since I have one, may I be of any assistance ?

With Thanks,
     J. Hart
     ATR ISD Labs
     Kyoto, Japan
     [email-masked]